Self Catering holiday to Aviemore – macdonald or columbridge experiences?

Home Forum Chat Forum Self Catering holiday to Aviemore – macdonald or columbridge experiences?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Self Catering holiday to Aviemore – macdonald or columbridge experiences?
  • druidh

We did Coylumbridge when my daughter was younger. I reckon it’s more set up for younger kids (don’t they still have two pools?) The soft play room was a great place to relax with a coffee and read the papers. The crazy golf was good too. Take money though – nothing comes cheap.

We did the Macdonald Hotel a couple of times when she was older. I reckon it’s slightly more “up-market” and she was at an age that she could enjoy the (very nice) food. We’ve stayed at the lodges too but many of them look a bit tired now and the facilities aren’t as complete as the Coylumbridge.

dh

thanks druidh. I think they are probably much of muchness, as you say maybe macdonald a bit more upmarket.

It appears that the lodges at coylumbridge are all privately owned now and you need to contact the owners individually to get prices. pppfttt.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

lodges (the posh ones) at Macdonald Aviemore are well kitted out, very plush, but have a couple of deficiencies that make them less good for family activity breaks.

Kitchen is tiny – really squashed in. No oven – just a combi microwave. No washing machine either which is a bit of a let-down. Having said that they are well maintained, we’ve been twice (once a few years ago when first opened, returned this early summer – sure it was cheaper this time too..)

Would say to counter druidh’s comments that having been there some years back and returned, that it looks still in pretty decent nick, may have been refurbished (though they still have CTR TVs, how quaint!)

Free use of the gym and pool are a plus, kids activities I think too do help. Aviemore better base than Coylumbridge – wasn’t that fussed with the Hilton when we stayed there will young family some time back.

Crieff Hydro lodges are all in all a better set of self-catering – would say they’re the benchmark to be honest. But they’re not in Aviemore!!

dh

crieff! a bloody curveball. Yeah everyone raves about them. Let me trott off to their www….

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

they have wee chalets that would be good value (though they are v v tired IMO – my friends used to go there with *their* parents on school holidays, and that wasn’t yesterday). bigger lodges near the Hydro that are very nice. Other lodges further away (Culcrieff I think) that are really well kitted out – we were there the week they opened, not huge but well designed and solidly built).

A bit pricey. Last we checked, it was a fixed week – Sat to Sat or similar, Macdonald Aviemore you could go for a week from any day IIRC.

dh

thinking of booking in November for a week in aviemore. Got two kids one 3, the other will be 4 months so important it ticks the family holiday boxes (think swimming pool, soft plays, family friendly etc). Needs to be self catering for all the guff we seem to need to take.

Looking at either the lodges at the macdonald or hilton coylumbridge.

Been ages since I was up there so just wondering if anyone has any experience of either.

They both seem expensive for a week £650+ but maybe that is just the going rate these days? I appreciate i may be getting involved with the skiing rates a bit at that time…

piffpaffpoff

A lot of self catering properties in Aviemore include a leisure pass for either the MacDonald leisure centre or the pool at Dalfaber. I can dig a few links out if you want?

messiah

I love Aviemore but I could go somewhere much better for what MacDonald and Hilton charge.

piffpaffpoff

We have stayed at the first two, and are probably going to book the third For a week next year. All have leisure passes and garages for bike/buggy storage.

http://www.theowlhouseaviemore.co.uk/ – macdonald pass

http://www.superior-highland-lets.co.uk/Aviemore_Lodge.html – Dalfaber pass

http://www.highlandholidayhomes.com/propertydetails.asp?id=238 – Dalfaber pass

dh

thanks piffpaffpoff – i’ll have a look.

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

We stayed at the MacDonald in May and the food was great, lots of stuff for the children (pool etc).
    Found the bathrooms tired and certain elements of the plumbing not working properly. Friendly staff though.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Coylumbridge is a better location IMHO Easier to get out on the trails – old logging trail / start of Lairiggrhu (I’ll learn to spell that properly one day) up past Rothirmurcus campsite / Loch Morlich / Glenmore / Loch an Eilean

The McDonald resort is handier for er Aviemore.

And those sc options look OK, if you want to spend your hols in a noughties barrat box.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

my colleague has a self catering house for weekly let – not Aviemore / Coylumbridge – but Nethy Bridge instead. I’ll try and track down the website / details if I can.

[Edit] here’s the link. hadn’t realised it’s a 4 bedroom affair – so price will be high 100s I expect. 10% off though..

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/scotland/sc626.htm

good luck!

piffpaffpoff

Yes, there is no getting away from the fact that a lot of the self catering in Aviemore is bungalows or Barrats. Cheaper than the Coylumbridge or macdonald by a mile though. And the first option is right on the edge of the development and has stunning views over the Cairngorms. But I agree, a house in a housing estate may not be everyone’s holiday cup of tea.

This is easy.

Coylumbridge.

Straight out the door in the morning and on to the trails.

(your kids will love the pool etc – it makes little odds at that age tbh)

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny
    Subscriber

We stayed at coylumbridge this summer, kids are 8, 5 and 1.5. Brilliant time. Pool ok, big fun barn place good. Evening entertainment for kids OK. Lodge was brilliant. Very well kitted out, nice big kitchen, plenty of space. Great access to trails.

Don’t forget to join the bothy bikes Wednesday evening bike ride.

The nice wee surprise was that round the side of the fun burn there is a small private nursery. Nothing to do with the hotel, really for locals, but they were delighted to have us book in the wee one to stay as needed. Staff were lovely, wee one had a great time. So many kids about the bigger 2 made friends in jig time and loved the holiday.

joemarshall

At the Macdonald, the soft play costs 4 quid a go or something, even if you’re staying there, isn’t included in the cost of stay, and is right next to the swimming pool, so your kids will see it every time you go swimming, so budget inevitable soft play sessions into your cost. Seems a weird anomaly, it’s like it’s inclusive except for the soft play.

Pool is lovely though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Self Catering holiday to Aviemore – macdonald or columbridge experiences?’ is closed to new replies.