• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Self Assessment Payment
  • revs1972
    Free Member

As I always seem to do, I have left my self assessment payment to the last minute ( better off in my account than theirs etc etc)
    Thinking it would be simple, pop online , make the payment and relax with a nice cup of tea, it appears that I can not make the payment as my bank won’t let me do a transfer of that amount either by card or direct bank payment as it is in excess of limits etc.
    Trying to speak to someone on the phone is out ( Mon-Fri) and the web chat is a waste of time trying to get through.
    Simple question really, can you make multiple payments to the Shipley account using different bank accounts ?. In my black and white mind, as long as they all add up to the total to pay it shouldn’t be an issue. Does anyone know for sure if that is the case ?
    Thank

Bear
    Free Member

should be fine, just make sure your UTR number is used as a reference on all payments, should have a K on the end apparently!

grum
    Free Member

Didn’t they extend the deadline for self assessment this year? I assume that applies to payments too.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/no-self-assessment-late-filing-penalty-for-those-who-file-online-by-28-february

FB-ATB

At my last company we made our CT payments from 2 bank accounts. As above, the UTR is what HMRC need to allocate the receipt.

FB-ATB

@grum- think they’ll still charge interest on late payment

MoreCashThanDash

SA deadline extended to 28th Feb with no penalties?

andrewh
    Free Member

Not sure if the new deadline applies to payment as well as filling, I’ve been out of the loop a couple of year, but to answer the original question, yes, multiple payments are absolutely fine.
    No issues with installments, whether they are three months apart or three minutes apart

revs1972
    Free Member

Oooh that will be handy.

I’ve managed to make a payment transfer and a card payment from same bank account.
    Will pay the rest tomorrow and hope for the best ( i am assuming they won’t allow the card payment today )

Bloody annoying that the bank limits what you can pay out ( unless of course you go into a branch and pay by CHAPS thus incurring a charge ).

Simple question really, can you make multiple payments to the Shipley account using different bank accounts ?. In my black and white mind, as long as they all add up to the total to pay it shouldn’t be an issue. Does anyone know for sure if that is the case ?
    Thank

AFAIK it’s a tax account and you can go on there and pay any amount. Do some today, some tomorrow

poolman
    Free Member

I am pretty sure I heard on r4 money box you may use your hmrc account as a credit bank account, ie spread your payment over time as long as you pay what they want in full by when they want it.

I thought at the time that’s q a good idea but never got round to doing it.

Wasn’t the hmrc proposal to go quarterly effectively that, to smooth their cash flow. In fact i think the quarterly proposal has been delyed or shelved.

prettygreenparrot

You can usually pay using a debit card. At least you can with ‘payments on account’ 😕

squirrelking
    Free Member

Payments don’t seem to get assigned in any way other than oldest debts first so to that end you can pay as much as you like.

Reminds me I need to check mine went through, got a letter saying I owe them money, presume it was in the system and got sent regardless.

flannol
    Free Member

I am pretty sure I heard on r4 money box you may use your hmrc account as a credit bank account, ie spread your payment over time as long as you pay what they want in full by when they want it.

Very interested in hearing what this is about?? I realise we should keep hold of every penny until the last minute to gain interest on it, but this is also something I’d like to explore but can’t find any info online….

footflaps

I realise we should keep hold of every penny until the last minute to gain interest on it,

Pretty academic currently, interest rates are near zero.

5lab

I once had to transfer a significant amount of money from my bank to my mortgage, the limit was £10k but I had zero problems making 5 paymens of 1p less than that on the same day

poolman
    Free Member

It was money box r4 a while ago, paul Lewis was talking about prepaying tax due. I pay under sa so twice a year, thought at the time that’s a good idea I could just transfer tax due/6 every couple of months then when a bill comes there’s a corresponding credit.

Then I heard about the proposals to transfer to quarterly returns online and that’s effectively it, but then loads of people complained they had no online access and nothing has happened.

Thinking about it HMRC refund overpayments on account so not sure it would work.

oldtennisshoes

HMRC are on a drive to reduce the number of people paying by card as it costs too much vs bank transfer.

robowns
    Free Member

Faster payment limit is £250k, given that, your tax bill doesn’t sound fun.

Alphabet

I had to pay mine via the banks website (Barclays) as the android app had a lower limit. Perhaps check what your banks website allows.

BigJohn

I had an automatic refund then a letter saying I had something to pay. When I went on the website yesterday it said I had nothing to pay and would I like to have a refund of the £250 owning to me.
    I shall pay what the letter asked for today and claim it all back in a few weeks. Just to make sure I don’t get hit with a penalty.

revs1972
    Free Member

I had to pay mine via the banks website (Barclays) as the android app had a lower limit. Perhaps check what your banks website allows.

£20k limit on current account. Unless I want to upgrade to premier at £30+ month 🤨

poly
    Free Member

Pretty academic currently, interest rates are near zero.

People who have sizeable tax bills often have offset mortgages, ISAs and premium bond accounts where they can work their capital. It’s one of the areas where wealthier people are advantaged by the system compared to the masses who pay tax as they go.

TiRed

Completed my self-assessment two weeks ago. HMRC have already repaid the overpaid tax. I was surprised too. I’ve already put something aside for next year as things will be a bit ugly. I’m PAYE not self-employed, if that matters with simple tax affairs.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Self Assessment Payment’ is closed to new replies.