Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Select a FS for £1k. Boardman FS Team or Spec Camber FSR Comp
  • benz
    Free Member

Excluding the whole Halfords purchasing thing….

I’m tended towards the Boardman as generally better quality components and more mountain capable.

Whaddya think?

Paceman
    Free Member

I’d go with the Boardman personally.

Have you thought about a Giant Trance-X or Canyon around that budget?

Wozza
    Free Member

My mate has the spesh camber, seems quite capable but the colour is a bit marmite.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

and more mountain capable

Stop reading MBf*****R and regurgitaing buzzwords, this isn’t bullshit bingo!

I’ve seen people pushing Camber’s pretty hard assuming that’s what you meant.

Although the rear hub on the camber is a huge weakpoint in the the spec, mine (same hub on a pitch) failed in about 5 rides, and on the 4th I met a guy who’d gone through 2 in 8 rides, so I’m not alone. He’d also blown a rear shock, but that is probably more bad luck.

Presonaly I’d go for last years Trance-X 4 or 5 for arround a grand.

Wozza
    Free Member

He’d also blown a rear shock, but that is probably more bad luck.

Did he have a dried residue on the shock body before this happened? Just something I noticed on my mates bike.

cookeaa

Don’t be swayed too much by the Spec alone, parts can (And probably will) be changed…

Ideally if you can, you want to test ride both as they are quite similar bikes in terms of intended purpose and suspension design so it the fine points of the ride that should dictate your decision rather than what Mechs are fitted.

tthew

Rather like my Camber, but I haven’t ridden the Boardman so can’t give you any comparison.

I looked for a Trance X a couple of years ago, and there were pretty much non to be had of the outgoing models on offer as they are so popular.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did he have a dried residue on the shock body before this happened? Just something I noticed on my mates bike.

No idea, it was a particularly wed day at Keilder! He’d come over form Oz for the summer and bought it cheep over here, RS shock IIRC.

benz
    Free Member

FFS spoony, I generally meant slightly more travel, bolt thru, bigger tyres. Perhaps wrong choice of words when I meant looks a little heavier duty….

That said, appreciate the feedback on the rear hubs.

swoosh
    Free Member

and more mountain capable

I don’t actually know how a mountain bike cannot be mountain capable. I’ve got a 2010 Boardman FS Pro and love it. it is a very good all round bike, copes with everything from peaks and lakes (including the highest mountain in England that can be legally riden up – does that make it “mountain capable”) rides to local singletrack rides – if this one broke i’d get another in an instant (although finding a 2010 model might be tricky). 2011 now has 130mm travel IIRC so I’d probably happily get that one too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

FFS spoony, I generally meant slightly more travel, bolt thru, bigger tyres. Perhaps wrong choice of words when I meant looks a little heavier duty….

tongue in cheek my dear friend, tongue in cheek!

benz
    Free Member

tongue in cheek my dear friend, tongue in cheek!

I’m obviously a little grumpy today…..

The Boardman appears to offer more for the cash even with the Spec reduced to just under a grand.

Also need to add that’s it’s for a mate who is looking for first FS and also has to be cycle scheme…..

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I got a Boardman 2010 Team FS – got it for a bargaintastic £750. The tires are rubbish and the saddle is agony, so factor that in to the cost. It was pretty well built – just needed to re-align the calipers and tighten the chainring bolts. Oh, and the mech hanger was bent (£7 for a replacement which needed some fettling to fit properly).

Over all though, it’s been terrific. Once the little teething troubles were sorted it’s not missed a beat and is a pleasure to ride both up and down

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The boardman is a blindingly good spec for the money, I don’t think there are many hardtails with as good a spec for a grand!

binners

My Intense has been poorly sick the last couple of weeks. As a result, I have borrowed/stolen my better half’s FSR for a few rides.

I’m well impressed with it! Really good fun to ride. And miles better than mine going uphill. Though I’ve still not cleaned it. Which has been noted

The spec on the Boardman looks pretty impressive for the money though

swoosh
    Free Member

the mech hanger was bent (£7 for a replacement…

Where did you get a replacement mech hanger for £7? Every place I look seems to be charging £15+…

tomaso
    Free Member

In the flesh I think the Spesh frame looks slicker with the Boardman looking a bot messy – but thats just my pedantic aesthetics.
    Have you thought about a test ride?

cookeaa

Also need to add that’s it’s for a mate who is looking for first FS and also has to be cycle scheme…..

is it via Halfrauds then?

Certain issues with buying a Specialized bike Through them have been documented, essentially though the validity of Specialized Warrantys become questionable when purchased via Halfords…

But again don’t let that sway your mate too much, tell him to try and ride both and ignore the numbers.

grim168
    Free Member

I had the same choice with my bike to work voucher. Went for the boardman as i thought the camber looked a bit cheap. Very happy with it although i didn’t ride the spesh

johnnystorm

I too had the same dilemma and went for the Camber. 😆 Not saying its the better bike but I got mine from Evans with 20% off, a further 10% with a voucher code and the Quidco 3%. The Boardman had indeterminate delivery times, combined with Halfords “set-up” which swayed me towards the Spesh. In summary I’m really pleased with it so I don’t think either are a duff choice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Select a FS for £1k. Boardman FS Team or Spec Camber FSR Comp’ is closed to new replies.