Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Selcof (Planet X) cheap carbon bars – experiences??
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So I like the look of the cheap Selcof risers for £40 (I appreciate they’re most likely a generic Chinese brand with a logo).

Thing is, they’re very light (about 140g?) and I’m not (not far off 16st with kit). I’m also not blessed with a particularly delicate riding style.

So, what are our thoughts on cheap carbon bars in general, weight and strength?

Has anyone managed to snap / damage any?!

Thanks

footflaps

I would assume if they’re sold by a retailer in the EU/UK they’ll have passed all relevant safety standards.

fooman
    Free Member

Those Selcof bars are a bit light for my liking @ 155g will be thin walled at that weight, even with the narrow width.

If you can spend a bit more CRC had Brand X 780mm / 800mm carbon riser bars @ £55.99 which are solid and have textured areas for stem/grips which means makes it less likely to crush the carbon tightening controls.

Milese
    Free Member

I’ve got a Selcof flat carbon bar, bought it about 3 years ago for about £15 on PX.

I’m only about 12 stone, but have crashed it a few times and no signs of damage etc. Would happily buy another.

mjsmke

No issues with my Selcof Flat bar. only 58kg though.

igm

The Selcof carbon seatposts seem ok too.

Only used their aluminium bars, but they have been good too.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Are they completely unrelated to the old On One Knuckleball bars? PX have a rep for producing same item under various brands and models.

I’ve got a six year old pair of “chewy” Knuckleball bars still going strong.

Also had a Selcof carbon post on my road bike for ~4 years.

jeffl
    Free Member

If it’s these, I bought a one last year.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBSECRFH/selcof-carbon-riser-handlebar

So far so good. I weigh 15st and these are on a 29er hardtail that gets used in the peaks. Not into mega gnarly stuff but semi-rocky downhills that sort of thing, no massive drops, and they’ve been fine.

The area the grips and stem clamp on are textured.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve a set of the carbon bars that came after the knuckle bars. They’ve been fine. No issues. Textured parts for the brakes and stem etc.

Gribs

If you want cheap Chinese carbon bars then I’ve had these on my hardtail for the past 18 months and they seem perfectly fine and I’m heavier than you.

*https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC90-Handlebar-Strength-Mountain-Accessories/dp/B08HPXLD4D

thisisnotaspoon

I had a pair on my scandal for a while with zero issues. Swapped them for some wider knuckleballs.

No idea how they’re so light but they didn’t feel unusually flexy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.