Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Selby to York – Planets Ride
  • wombat

Wombat Jr and I are planning on doing the Selby to York ride along NCN65 and to have a look at the scale model of the solar system that’s installed along the cycle path between Riccall and York.

I know it’s only around 15 miles and pretty much flat but he’s not much of a cyclist and it’ll be a nice day out for us.

I’m sure there must be a few on here who’ve done this route (or are local) so was after a bit of guidance please.

I’m happy with the cycle path bit as it looks pretty much impossible to get lost once you’re on the off road bit.

What’s the stretch like between Selby (station) and Riccall?

Is it easy to navigate?

Is the start of the cycle path easy to find at Riccall?

scuttler

bookmarked

ton

turn right out of station, turn left at T with river in front. turn right over bridge, turn left down ness road. cycle path is at the end.

2 minutes from station.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrjmt
    Free Member

This used to be my commute!

Directions as Ton’s post. Watch out for glass on the bit leaving Selby after the bridge.

Get through Barlby, bear left at the other end of the village to go down past the new housing estate, then along the side of the A19 (on separate cycle path though) to Riccall. Through the village, bear left at the other end of that village and you’ll pick up the cycle path proper.

There’s an honesty hut thing at Naburn thats usually open in the summer (never used it). Or there’s a co-op etc in Bishopthorpe for ice cream.

Its a really nice ride once past Riccall.

Email is in profile if you need any help etc. we live in York now and happy to fill bottles etc if we’re around.

edit: oh and ‘pretty much flat’ doesn’t do it justice! Its the old railway line, and i’m not sure it could be any flatter!

daern
    Free Member

I can agree with mrjmt – I did this a couple of years ago with the kids. We took the train from Leeds to Selby, cycled to York, spent the afternoon looking about and then got the train back to Leeds again. The bit from Selby to Riccall, while not being quite as nice as the bit north of Riccall, is mostly away from traffic and was easy enough for the kids to ride.

We used pay a few quid to leave the bikes here when in York, so we could walk around without getting them nicked. Sadly, it looks like it has since closed down 🙁

Edit: here’s the track from when we did it. It was three years ago, but I don’t suppose it’s changed much (if at all):
    https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/4139539-selby-to-york

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Keep meaning to do this again sometime. When we were teenagers, before we could drive we’d ride from north York, through town, along the cycle path all the way to Selby, through Selby to Brayton Barf, muck around there on the bikes for hours and then ride all the way home again. Used to be some good little trails at Brayton…

Going to hop on the Selby train sometime from mine with the Roadrat and ride to my parents.

hanchurch
    Free Member

We did this ride a few moths ago, here is a link to my thread about it, it was a fun ride.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cycle-the-solar-system

wombat

Thanks for all the info and also to Mrjmt for the offer of refreshments (we’re only in Northallerton so will hop on the train home when we get back to York).

We’re going to do it tomorrow, so here’s hoping the weather forecast is reasonably accurate

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Might still be there (google maps shows a lot more trees that when I went last about 15 years ago!) but as the cycle path passes the road between Escrick and Stillingfleet, there used to be some pretty good dirt jumps for a muck about on.

wombat

Thought I’d just do a (very) quick ride report…

We rode the solar system yesterday, navigation was very easy, thanks for the guidance on getting out of Selby.

The route is, as mrjmt said, about as flat as a ride can be, easy to navigate and we had a thoroughly pleasant day out (with the added bonus that humorous pictures can be taken of Uranus 😆 ).

Might do it again sometime solo (or with other adults) and continue through York to home (about another 40 miles) for a bit more of a ride

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Selby to York – Planets Ride’ is closed to new replies.