Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sektor RL U-turn – Significant knock from left leg
  • FieldMarshall

Recieved a shiny pair of Sektors through the post this morning.

However, there is a really noticeable knock from the left leg when I compress them in anything other than the 110mm setting.

I have read that you cant get a slight knock from U-turn forks, but i have both U-turn Lyrics and Pikes and neither of them do.

I cant get hold of the seller at present (I dont think he works on Fridays) but I’m reluctant to fit them in case they are faulty.

Anybody else experience this.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Coil or Air?

FieldMarshall

Coil

(aren’t all U-turns Coil?)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, you can get air U-turn 🙂

It’s probably either the coil knocking in the fork or a bit of play in the u-turn mechanism, neither of which is anyhting to worry about. I’d pop the spring out and cover it in some nice thick grease, add a bit of lubricating oil to the lower leg, then put it back together again. It might help, it might not, but at least you’ll know everything is OK inside 🙂

(And that the lower leg bolt is tight….)

FieldMarshall

But not in the Sektor range I believe. 🙂

Anyway…….

It does sound as if the spring is knocking, and I’m guessing that it shouldn’t.

I had a stiffer spring fitted before it was dispatched, oil level checked etc.

I’m wondering if it’s not been put back together correct or if in fact the wrong spring has been fitted, as there are both 100-140mm and 110-150mm springs avaialble for the sektor.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are they new?

Have you fitted them to a bike yet?

wrong spring has been fitted, as there are both 100-140mm and 110-150mm springs avaialble for the sektor.

Hmmmm. I can’t see a 150mm spring being fitted to a 140mm fork by accident as you’d have to compress it a lot by hand to get it in there, and putting a 140mm spring in a 150mm fork would just change it to a 140mm fork I think
    And it’s more than possible that either spring will fit as both forks are the same chassis and the way of changing the travel is by changing the spring……

FieldMarshall

Yes, they are new.

Have no idea whether you could fit the wrong spring or not, its just pure speculation on my behalf.

I dont want to go down the road of stripping new forks, so will just wait until I hear back from the seller. I have no real reason to doubt that he assembled/reassembled correctly, as all feedback on his work to date has been favourable.

I just didnt want to start cutting steerers etc., if there was a genuine issue with them.

Thanks for your help, I will just sit tight for a few days and sort it next week.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cool. 🙂
    I’ll bet they’re OK, but it’s best to let the seller say so on new stuff I think.

Personally, I’d have them apart. It would be quicker to do that than send/take them back. 10 min job. In fact I’ve done exactly that to some new Revelations I bought last week: Let them out to 150mm and convert to crown mounted lockout.. 🙂

FieldMarshall

Had an email back from the seller.

He assures me that all is well internally and that it will settle down once the extra grease and oil he had put in gets distributed with use.

Just wanted to be sure before fitting. This isnt an expensive fork on the big scheme of things but its still a big outlay.

chiefgrooveguru

What bike are they going on? Would be interested to hear how you get on with them, as they’re my top choice for the forthcoming Soul build.

Del

i have a set on my inbred ( wound down to 130 ) and am very pleased with them. seem a bit more eager to move than pikes i have. don’t ask me to elaborate on that much, as apart from that i just think they go up and down, and i seem to be able to mostly keep the front wheel pointing the direction i want to go in… 😀

FieldMarshall

Mine are going on a P7 to replace some 6 year old air turn Pikes. Will probably run them at 140mm.

My main reason for ditching the Pikes is that they have so much more stiction than my newer lyrics and vans on other bikes. Despite having the Pikes rebuilt twice.

So I am hoping that these will be a bit more plush. As per the post above, they certainly seem to be very “eager to move” straight out of the box.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The coil can sometimes tap the inside of the leg when they compress. My UTurn TORAs do it, except when turned all the way down. I questioned TFT about it after a service and they said not to worry.

Sector air is 150mm non-UTurn (I have one). I’m very impressed with how sticktionless and active they are – much less trail-buzz. And damping controls that actually work properly – woot!

FieldMarshall

That sounds encouraging.

I would have gone for a 140mm in black, given the choice, but I wanted the 20mm maxle version.

And I prefer coil over air, hence why I ended up with the u-turn version.

But at the price of these it was hard to say no.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sektor RL U-turn – Significant knock from left leg’ is closed to new replies.