Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Seized road brake calipers
  • barrykellett
    Free Member

I have been tasked with removing brakes of an old heap of a genesis that is seriously neglected. The caliper bolts are completely seized and the allen key is starting to slip

The calipers are for the bin anyway so my only idea so far is to hacksaw through the front of brake where it goes through the fork and the seatstay bridge on the rear and then just punch the lot out the other end?

Hacksaw suggestions to get it done with the least sweat?

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Did you try a penetrating fluid like Plus gas? If you have not the do soand leave it to soak in and then try your allen key . Instead of haksawing I would drill the bolt and use a extractor. Works every time.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Will try the plusgas if I can find any local

I bought a wee extractor tool to take a pair of bolts out of my cleats the other day. I assume it would work for this too? Though It really really is stuck.

sobriety
    Free Member

If the plusgas doesn’t work you could try hack sawing a slot into the bolt and then undoing it with a screwdriver/drifting it out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

the part of the bolt by the front of the crown is often very thick. You may damage teh fork too.

I’d try drilling the bolt – 7mm bit would only have to get through the lip at the back, or take a blade only to the bolt inside the crown from underneath.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Beat a torx bit into the allen bolt hole. It will also give the whole thing some shock which can help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Seized road brake calipers’ is closed to new replies.