Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Seized ( properly) maxle light – help?!
  • ceepers

So my front hub (shimano slx) totally seized today, conveniently 15 miles from home!

It appears that in doing so its screwed the 15mm maxle light on my rock shox fork mega tight and now I can’t remove the wheel!

I tried a “fairly” gentle tap with a mallet but all that seems to have achieved is to break off half of the collar that the lever seats In to unscrew.

I’ve bathed it both sides in gt85 which is all I have to hand and left it for the solace of a beer.

Anyone got any good ideas for unscrewing it. Is there a better oil to try. Seeing as the hub is f**ked anyway I could get the hacksaw out but I don’t want to have to spend £40 on a new maxle if I can help it!

acidchunks

If you can get a pair of mole grips around the collar you should be able to undo it (this is how i currently remove mine). if you’re worried about marking the outside of the collar then wrap one of those rubber inserts you get with light mounts/reflectors/etc around it before you clamp the mole grips on.

Hold on, just read your post again… as half of that collar has now sheared off you’re prob gonna be looking at a new maxle anyway. I’m still waiting on a new one as the RS distro had run out. I’m told they’ll be in stock sometime next week 🙁

jambon
    Free Member

+1 Mole grips. Such a useful last resort tool. Used on my DT Swiss RWS when the stoopid, not fit for purpose, plastic handle snapped off.

Good luck.

mrphil
    Free Member

Just in case try and get a can of freeze spray. Spray the centre of the maxle and thread end. Try not to touch the legs with the spray then use Mole grips or the likes to remove.

This is just incase the mole grips do not work first time round

kayak23

Seeing as the hub is seized, can you not turn the wheel back the other way while someone holds the bike upsidedown?

I think to be honest you’re going to be buying a new one anyway. If you can get the lever out I’d probably start looking at gluing in something to unscrew it with, with epoxy, cleaning away any oil residue first.
    Or I’d take it to an engineers with the above picture and see if they have any ideas.
    Good luck.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

2nd turn the wheel backwards.

ceepers

Thanks I will have a go and report back!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

the next issue i can see is that the axle will be seized into the hub meaning you cant pull it out. if this is the case i can only see 2 options. hacksaw down the side oh the hub/fork leg and cut the axle out or big bar and hammer the axle out. (i would cut it)

ceepers

So mole grips are no go so far, I’ve just bought some freezing spray to try next.

I’ve tried rotating the wheel backwards which has freed the hub but not the maxle.

The wheel will spin freely now but there is a bit of play in the bearings so the disc rubs the brake pads. The hub is definitely screwed Since I regreased it two weeks ago and the bearing races were pitted and the rotation was not totally free. I was hoping to make it last until I could use my birthday as an excuse to get some hope hoops instead!
    Do u reckon its ok to ride like this until I get paid? I could do without spending on a new wheel or hub+ lbs wheel build this month.

I guess it will sacrifice the front pads and ill have to hope I don’t puncture but it should be safe since the wheel can’t come off without a hacksaw anyway?

kayak23

Do u reckon its ok to ride like this until I get paid? I could do without spending on a new wheel or hub+ lbs wheel build this month.

If it’s spinning and not going to fall off(how can it seized) then I would personally say it’s fine to ride.
    I’ve ridden wheels before that sound horrendous but have gotten by on them until I could afford to replace.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Seized ( properly) maxle light – help?!’ is closed to new replies.