Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Segregated audience at Labour rally
  • mudmuncher

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02qmyg0

Respecting the Muslim faith
    or
    Blatant hypocrisy from a party that supposedly champions women’s rights

Stoner
    Free Member

Mr Harman will be in the doghouse I think.

Not the first nor the last example of political expediency in the face of an election.

allthepies
    Free Member

The speakers at said event.

Tom Watson doesn’t look too happy. Perhaps because he realised he’d just been photographed, darn press !

Northwind

Maybe it means they speak to an audience that wouldn’t have been able to hear them at all otherwise

mudmuncher

Wow, I didn’t realise Harriet Harman’s fella was one of the key speakers, you couldn’t make it up!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t have any problem with that at all. If a predominately Muslim audience wants men and women sitting in separated groups why would that be a problem? It doesn’t seem to put women at a disadvantage to men, and I can’t see why it would.

Is the problem because there are less women? There appears to a substantial amount of women at the meeting and certainly the ratio of women to men appears to be far greater than I would expect to see at my local trade union council meeting. I would be very surprised to see a 50/50 ratio at any political meeting.

I thought it was ironic that Andrew Neil should ask a Jewish woman to justify the arrangements for what appears to be very much a Muslim audience. And she clearly didn’t know anything about it but was expected to give an explanation.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why weren’t the speakers segregated as well?

Fair play to Mr Dromey, though. Getting through that tricky all-female shortlist process so well.

Drac

Why should be I be outraged, is there a Daily Mail article to assist me?

mudmuncher

ernie_lynch – Member

I don’t have any problem with that at all. If a predominately Muslim audience wants men and women sitting in separated groups why would that be a problem?

So, if you’d attended with your misses and were told you couldn’t sit with her you wouldn’t have an issue?

Junkyard
    Free Member

One of those… if you are pandering for their vote probably best to not piss them off and respect their views

Not exactly progressive and impossible to defend [segregation] except to say its expedient.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Personally I would have preferred to have sat with the women mudmuncher. But I accept that Muslim women might prefer that I didn’t.

Perhaps someone can explain why the men were at an advantage over the women at that meeting? Or why a meeting packed with apparently Muslim women suggests that the Labour Party isn’t interested in ‘championing women’s rights’ as the OP suggests might be the case?

EDIT : I’m actually very impressed indeed to see so many Muslim women attending a meeting organised by the Labour Party. I’m incredulous that this should be used as some sort of stick to beat the Labour Party with. How do other political parties fair?

cranberry
    Free Member

Perhaps someone can explain why the men were at an advantage over the women at that meeting?

That’s a very good point – the women were no more disadvantaged than Rosa Parks.

I doubt it – Harriet’s wife, Jack, who was a union fat cat, managed to be selected as a candidate in a seat with an all woman short-list.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

BTW from my past experience of canvassing for the Labour Party in predominately Muslim areas of Croydon I am impressed with the enthusiasm that Muslim women show in voting. Often much more enthusiasm than non-Muslim working-class women – the apathy shown by that demographic group can be quite depressing imo.

fatyowls
    Free Member

Labour are biggest scumbags of them all, two faced shite bags as slippery as an eel. If you like that kind of thing vote for it!

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, speaking with forked tongues double standard …

I thought we are in the UK but that looks like separate world. Yes?

It looks like nothing change much really.

Integration … ya right …

🙄

bigrich

I would have an issue if a woman wanted to sit anywhere, but was prevented.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m conflicted here – gender segregation is wrong and shouldn’t be a part of modern society, but then there’s the whole issue of impressing Western values on people of other cultures. But then we are a Western nation and this is happening in a supposedly progressive country.
    Should we be advocates for such events if those in attendance are accepting of the gender segregation? What types of segregation are allowed in these circumstances and what aren’t?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Labour are biggest scumbags of them all, two faced shite bags as slippery as an eel. If you like that kind of thing vote for it!

So the Labour Party creates the conditions where a substantial amount of Muslim women can engage directly in politics and they’re “scumbags” and “two faced shite bags” for doing so. Yeah right.

This is just a pathetic excuse for halfwits who hate the Labour Party to attempt to score points.

mudmuncher

Personally I would have preferred to have sat with the women mudmuncher. But I accept that Muslim women might prefer that I didn’t.

I suspect they wouldn’t mind. Their controlling, misogynistic husbands probably would though.

Perhaps someone can explain why the men were at an advantage over the women at that meeting? Or why a meeting packed with apparently Muslim women suggests that the Labour Party isn’t interested in ‘championing women’s rights’ as the OP suggests might be the case?

So what would your thoughts be if the audience had been segregated on race or sexual persuasion? Whites on the left, blacks on the right or heterosexuals on one side, gays and lesbians on the other?

Typical left wing double standards.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well at least it wasn’t in a University

A future Labour government ‘will not tolerate’ gender segregation in our universities

Given that no one seems coerced in the picture, what’s the fuss? Good to have people joining the political debate and to have hypocrisy exposed. Two birds, one stone.

They will be stereotyping women with the colour pink next! What’s next free barbie dolls…?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Genius. How about…

Jew free event?
    Black free events?

How about not pandering to the intolerant instead?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Typical left wing double standards.

Yeah I think we’re getting to what this really all about.

Of course the Tory Party has a much better track record of engaging and listening to the views of Muslim women.

I can’t imagine that many women turning up to a Tory Party public meeting, let alone Muslim women.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Imagine the Tories having the first woman Muslim cabinet minister. Surely not?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

5thElefant – Member

All the self-righteous Tories are turning up to condemn the Labour Party 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Their controlling, misogynistic husbands probably would though

Ah the scholars of Islam are in the house then 😕

5thElefant
    Free Member

Of course the Tory Party has a much better track record of engaging and listening to the views of Muslim women.

Not profiling based on religion and gender is a good thing. I’m pretty sure the liberal elite get all excited when the police do it.

aracer
    Free Member

I can’t imagine that many women turning up to a Tory Party public meeting, let alone Muslim women.

No women at all here:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Imagine the Tories having the first woman Muslim cabinet minister. Surely not?

And UKIP has black party members. Whadya know.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good swerve, saves answering the point.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thank you for making my point aracer – I can’t imagine that many women turning up to a Tory Party public meeting

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I don’t have any problem with that at all. If a predominately Muslim audience wants men and women sitting in separated groups why would that be a problem?

Ffs lynchmob really? Honestly do you really think gender segregation has a place in our society?

bloodynora
    Free Member

Ok lynch if that was your missus (assuming you have one) that was told to sit on the other side of the hall away from any males what would you do?

aracer
    Free Member

Really? I presume they don’t play to empty audiences – they do after all get millions of voters – hence you were simply suggesting there was an issue regarding the proportions (I found plenty of pics of packed meetings, but none which allowed you to readily identify gender apart from the front few rows which I assumed would be carefully managed – I found the source of that pic amusing though)

Do you really believe that not many women would turn up to a Tory public meeting? I guess I probably know more Tories than you, and anecdotally quite a large proportion are women.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Good swerve, saves answering the point.

OH THE IRONY
    I am saving that post I reckon most days I will get to use it back at you

“back on topic” being your current favourite

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

saves answering the point.

Well if your and aracer’s point is that I said no women or Muslims ever attend Tory public meetings then yes, I wouldn’t be answering it.

If you want to deliberately claim that I said something which I didn’t say then I won’t bother.

Anyway, I’ve made my point 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Well if your and aracer’s point is that I said no women or Muslims ever attend Tory public meetings

😆 – so now you’re complaining that I’m suggesting you made a point you didn’t… by suggesting that I made a point I didn’t!

brakes
    Free Member

ironically many here just sound like the politicians they’re ironising.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes and it was countered and falsified. Still it was only imagination wasn’t it? You can be let off.

So it’s not just raining down South.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if that was your missus (assuming you have one) that was told to sit on the other side of the hall away from any males what would you do?

Respect the views of the hosts or leave.
    You?

Its fair to criticise the segregation but to claim this highlights something about labour rather than politics is beyond disingenuous

All the most vocal here are the usual Tory suspects making a party political point.

Read my first post I have no desire to defend this but all the parties would have done the same

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

5thElefant, mitsumonkey, and bloodynora, I’m waiting for enfht to turn up.

Those Muslim-loving champions of tolerance.

It’s Labour Party/Lefty bashing time 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Segregated audience at Labour rally’ is closed to new replies.