• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by rhys.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Seeking the collective wisdom of STW old bikes dilemma
  • rhys
    Free Member

Sorry, this is longer that I meant it to be but there are a number of issues to sort!!

Following on from my recent “forks gone pop” thread I obeyed the word of STW and sent my 2010 uturn Revs to TFTuned. Yesterday I got THE phone call. The one that tells me they’re beyond salvage due to lack of servicing, lack of parts due to age.

Now what do I do? Obviously I need to pay for the work done stripping down, but do I pay to get them put back together and returned, they suggested not. Is it worth asking for the maxle lite axle back?

This is a real dilemma!

1 I cannot justify many hundreds on new forks
    2 the orange 2007 Orange 5 has a bit of crazying of paint in places. (Headtube, top tube and swing arm) is this a major problem. Keep,sell?

3 after many years in my 20s through to early 40s of bikes being my life, road racing, BMX racingTrans Wales/Scotland 24/12 MM Utah, Morocco, Mega Alps Alps etc I’ve not ridden for the last 7 years having turned to Surf life Saving. I’ve been back on the bike after rehab for a bad back and loved it!

4 I am tempted to try to resurrect my 94 Kona Explosif via my local shop who’s owner has a stack of early Konas.

Sooooooooo
    What do I do!! Where might I get some cheap forks 1 1/8 steerer that are reasonable?

Thank you

Do I get the forks back, Maxle lite etc

chestrockwell

Suntour do some reasonable forks that would fit. My mate got some and they’re not bad at all. Other than that Bike-Discount usually have some Rockshox.

As for the Kona, head over to retrobike.co.uk to get that sorted.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Late or early ‘94 Explosif? ie rigid vs sus-corrected

rhys
    Free Member

Late 94 Explosif the green one. The catalogue showed it with the tapered suspension forks but I went for the P2s

Will look at Suntour, thank you

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Seeking the collective wisdom of STW old bikes dilemma’ is closed to new replies.