Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Seeing 'spots' while running – should I be worried?
  • SaxonRider

I just returned from a run of 4kms, and when I was about 2/3s of the way into it, I started getting ‘spots’ of white – like light spots – in my vision. No other symptoms (other than feeling more tired than normal before I began).

I have never had this happen before, and they eventually disappeared (after a few minutes). Finally, I don’t know if it’s relevant, but I was wearing my contacts, which I normally don’t do while running.

Any thoughts, other than cat aids?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I occassionally get that. I haven’t died yet.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve been warned by my optition that if I get a lot of floaters it could be the sign of a detaching retina as I am at a higher risk due to a moderate astigmatism. I don’t know if spots are included in this.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Sounds a bit migrainey. Which is influenced by blood flow “up there”. Do you suffer, or do parents / siblings?

Detached retina sounds scary.

Definitely one to get checked out I reckon.

nickc

I read in a running magazine that it’s probably due to blood being drawn to more active parts of the body during strenuous exercise. legs, heart, so on.

vickypea
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like what I get when I’m running low on blood sugar when out on my bike- I start feeling a little bit dizzy and then I get coloured spots in front of my eyes. That’s my signal to eat something.
    Could be that, or migraine aura, which I also get sometimes.

votchy
    Free Member

Spots in my vision is also a warning that my blood sugar has dropped too low (type 1 diabetes) and I need to do something about it quickly

wwaswas

I get that if my blood pressures changes too much – like if I stand up quickly having crouched down for a few minutes.

footflaps

I often see spots squatting or deadlifting near my max. I also go deaf for about 2 mins afterwards….

philjunior
    Free Member

I used to get that stretching off after a hard ride sometimes. These days my physiological make up must have changed as I’m sure I would chunder before I got to that point.

If it’s worrying you, go and see your GP about it. They won’t usually send you for a catalogue of tests unless you need it or they’re bored/fancy whoever they’d have to talk over the test results with.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Seeing 'spots' while running – should I be worried?’ is closed to new replies.