Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • See those Bird hardtails…
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Those fs are a bit much for the plethora of swinley locals that are lapping them up.

Swinley has a small rock garden and some roots have been spotted recently…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Swinley has a small rock garden and some roots have been spotted recently…

It’s the only rock garden in the world to correctly use the singular of the word rock too!*

Depends how it rides, if it’s light/efficient enough it’ll be fine for Swinley, I wasn’t much slower on my Pitch Vs a similar hardtail, it just felt dull on bits like Stickler which are all about sprinting out of and between corners and the rest just felt like a very long transition between the really good bits (15, labrynth, the penultimate blue bit) which are another level of fun on a big FS bike.

I’d be seriously tempted if they can do a good full build at a decent price i.e. that photo/build fo codein money or less.

*As a footnotw, I reckon 15 would be improved if they got rid of one of the small lips before the tabletop on 15 and put a load of rubble down to make a rock garden, it’s step enough to make it look intimidating, and fast enough to make it easy to ‘float’ over one. IME I always used to overcook the penultimate lip (where it kinda kinks left before the RH berm that fires you towards the tabletop) and to my shame cut the corner (which in an off camber, dusty drifty kinda way, was a lot more fun).

AlexSimon

There’s a full price list and spec sheet on their Facebook page.
    Direct link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/orbxsykp2ylp8m3/Aeris%20Launch%20Pricing%2023092014.pdf?dl=0

The shop itself is a little less complete.

No doubting the value and quality of the kit.

It looks from the shop page that it’s a £850 deposit with full payment due end Oct, then delivery end Feb/early Mar.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

put a load of rubble down to make a rock garden

a rock garden would not go down well with the runners that insist of running up the trails, or the families and dog walkers that seem to often be on them.

the bike trails are clearly not bike specific and it probably wont be long until the first huge accident occurs.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Under the rules of the estate, they’re only allowed to use materials sourced from the forest.

That said there is a spare rock sat beside another trail just waiting to be used.

As for roots… god forbid! 😮

Still, the cobbles on the yellow brick road are quite harsh. Need suspension for that 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Under the rules of the estate, they’re only allowed to use materials sourced from the forest.

Break up the concreet inn the pillboxes/tanktraps?

a rock garden would not go down well with the runners that insist of running up the trails, or the families and dog walkers that seem to often be on them.

Thing is, rocks are probably the only surface that’s better for bikes than any other mode. Just about every other obstacle you could put at the trail entrance would be more of a hindrance to bikes than walkers or horses.

Although TBF some of the cyclists do no favours. I got shouted at by a lady on a very nice bike in a group of others on nice bikes (so given the benifit of the doubt, should know better) for barging past on 15. The fact I was airborne and she’d just hauled her brakes on and stopped right on top of the tabletop seemed to escape her.

Dobbo

Could do with a better brand name than Bird IMO! Give it some attitude.

ska-49
    Free Member

The official spec list looks spot on! Would be nice to know the price of upgrades/downgrades.

I saw a chap outside the Food Co in Colchester with a Bird T-shirt on. Was going to stop and ask about it but he was with family. I assume it was one of the owners as it’s a bit early for fanboys.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m suspect the Aeris isn’t really designed as a Swinley bike, but I’m sure it’ll do the job admirably for the one bike quiver rider.

Anyone know what the frame weight is?

I’ve been looking at 650b boingy bikes recently and am a tad torn between fronting up for a carbon frame or buying aluminium (like this) and spending the grand+ saving on good parts – any opinions?

frogstomp

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the frame weight for a large, without shock, was about 7lbs.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Dobbo – Member
    Could do with a better brand name than Bird IMO! Give it some attitude.

Flipping the bird. There’s a bit of attitude in that.

benpinnick

The official spec list looks spot on! Would be nice to know the price of upgrades/downgrades.

I saw a chap outside the Food Co in Colchester with a Bird T-shirt on. Was going to stop and ask about it but he was with family. I assume it was one of the owners as it’s a bit early for fanboys.

I can guess who it was and he isnt a bid staffer… On the pricing for upgrades, it varies on product type, but if you use the formula 0.65 * (RRP of new thing – RRP of old thing) you are pretty close. Put another way we give you 100% of the value back on your old item, and then discount the difference to the new part by 35%… clearly a much better deal than buying a bike, ebaying a bunch of things then hunting around for a bargain online!

Options at the same level such as Turbine vs Atlas, or different tyres are free or sometimes £2.50 if you step outside the standard options.

The site is a bit incomplete (other than deposits right now) as trying to add all the variants has pretty much nuked its capability to operate, so I have had to pare it back. Some late nights ahead trying to fix this one!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WFBppsP9C8[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184[/video]

j450n
    Free Member

I would change the name to “Fat Bird” 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

A fat Bird. I’d buy that 😀

speccyguy
    Free Member

If Ben is still around this thread..

What clearance is there for the rear tyre? I see the spec is for 2.35s etc but I’m also interested in this WTB 650b+ idea for the kind of riding I do.

And the pre-order price now for the frame of £850. Do we pay the full sum upfront?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Might get a quicker reply on Facebook?

benpinnick

2.5s will fit but it getting very tight. Not tried a 650+ in there. The Zero would swallow if up no worries but not sure on an Aeris. I’ll speak to Web to get one in. Deposit is 850 which get you the base frame and you can top up from there to get a full bike.

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘See those Bird hardtails…’ is closed to new replies.