Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • See this is why people are fat…
  • legspin
    Free Member

I love the muppets that type “fat doesn’t make you fat”. I think that is common knowledge.
    More fat than than you can use does.

nicko74

fat doesn’t make you fat

True, you have to eat it first…

dmorts

fin25 – Member
    Trans-fats in processed food make you fat, as the body cannot do anything with them. I lost 3 stone last year by removing all hydrogenated fats from my diet. I used real butter, full fat milk and didn’t take much notice of fat content, beyond any hydrogenated fats.

Can you explain what I see as a contradiction in your post? If ‘the body’ cannot do anything with Trans-fats, how can cutting them out cause you to lose weight? Unless you’ve lost other fats and the trans-fat remains, never to be shifted? In that case you’d get cumulatively fatter as you age by having trans-fats in your diet.

Nice one losing the weight though, regardless!

I have seen the full fat milk, butter etc. advocated by some body builder, fitness types. I’m sure it was on social media in response to an NHS website saying eat low-fat yoghurts, semi-skimmed milk etc. They were stating this was fundamentally wrong

brant
    Free Member

More fat than than you can use does.

Your body absorbing more calories than you use does.

legspin
    Free Member

and at 9 calories in 1g of fat its easy to absorb more calories than you need from fat.

zilog6128

I have seen the full fat milk, butter etc. advocated by some body builder, fitness types. I’m sure it was on social media in response to an NHS website saying eat low-fat yoghurts, semi-skimmed milk etc. They were stating this was fundamentally wrong

Full fat is way better for you than less fat but increased sugar (if that is the alternatively). Also high fat/low carb foods will make you feel fuller for longer and potentially decrease snacking.

_tom_
    Free Member

dmorts I think its because low fat stuff is often bulked out with sugar which is worse for you than fat. People just assume its a healthy option because theres no fat in it.

dudeofdoom

Yeah gotta watch a lotta the low fat yoghurts and stuff as it normally means that they’ve whacked a load of sugar in place of the fats.

A certain amount of the right fats good for you – trans fats the work of the devil tbh. The more unprocessed your diet the better but again portion controls important eating over maintenance calories makes you fat regardless of whether the foods healthy or not.

My pet peeves what would be healthy food but has been over sugared etc but still gets marketed as healthy.

dmorts

Ok, low fat yoghurts aside (bad example, I know they’re bad due to extra starch for thickeners and extra sugar to make up flavour). Semi-skimmed milk? Flora spread, why are those so bad?

molgrips
    Free Member

All it takes is a little more time preparing fresh food instead of buying processed food which is packed with sugar and salt.

Rubbish. I can prepare you a fresh cake made from wholesome natural ingredients in about 45 mins. Eat as much as you want – it’s freshly prepared!

PLEASE beware of saying ‘well I did X and it worked so that’s all you have to do’. Our bodies vary a lot, and what works for you may not work for someone else. It’s like me saying to get to London you have to take the M4. Great if you’re in Swindon, not if you’re in Newcastle.

If you do want to put the blame on one thing, I’d say sugar. The largest number of fat peple would benefit the most by cutting it out imo.

zilog6128

Semi-skimmed milk? Flora spread, why are those so bad?

Semi-skimmed milk is fine. It is just normal milk with the fat filtered out (so you are paying the same but getting less!) FWIW I buy semi-skimmed as I find the taste of full fat a bit too rich.

Flora spread, why are those so bad?

Flora, along with all vegetable/sunflower oils, etc, is a refined product, produced by heating, adding chemicals, etc. Butter, lard, etc, obviously are processed to some degree but are basically the naturally occurring form of fat.

Rubbish. I can prepare you a fresh cake made from wholesome natural ingredients in about 45 mins. Eat as much as you want – it’s freshly prepared!

You have fresh flour and sugar? Impressive.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok I don’t, but I COULD have them fresh, in theory. Wouldn’t make the cake any better for you 🙂

I think full fat milk has a higher GI, and more omega whatsits too. Point is that fat helps you feel satisfied, so going low fat might make it harder to abstain from bad things, since your body tends to want higher sugar things when it’s really hungry (at least mine does).

zilog6128

Ok I don’t, but I COULD have them fresh, in theory. Wouldn’t make the cake any better for you

No. I was being facetious anyway 🙂 Pretty sure he was implying fresh as “unrefined/unprocessed”.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ever wondered how many calories you need?
    http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/food-diet-nutrition-info/5071-formulating-your-diet-beginers.html

Fascinating article here with an extract from J Beradi (author of Nutrition: The complete guide) about calculating your calorie expenditure.
    Not all fats are created equal, and sugar is the devil.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok but the point stands. Just because it’s unrefined doesn’t mean it’s good for you or will prevent you getting fat.

jfletch
    Free Member

Look at it from Tesco’s point of view. If they put the calories and fat for the whole pack on the front, no-one would buy them, as they would be “unhealthy”. If they only put 25g in the pack, no-one would buy them, as they want more than 5 nuts per pack.

This is why Tesco shouldn’t be allowed to decide.

The whole aspect of potion sizes and food labelling is a massive shambles perpertated by our shower of a governement being presured by food lobyist. Two examples

King sizes: King sizes were banned due to being spectacularly unhealthly. Good. But within months the chocolate brands had all released “duo packs”. To anyone with half a brain these are just king sizes in disguse but our impotent regulator has swalled the food industries BS that these sizes are two bars so are for sharing. This nuts packed is just another example of this. Should be illegal.

Food Labelling: There is some very compelling research that shows traffic light based labelling hugely improved people’s purhcasing choices. I was going to be law but Tesco lobbied against it because they wanted their inferior % based system. Mainly becuase its easier to con people. 17% of your daily fat does seem as bad a red light for fat. Our incompetant government wouldn’t stand up to Tesco and we have a crappy food labelling regulation.

Sure people need to make more responsibility for themselves but that is much harder when at every turn huge corportaions are deliberately trying to confuse and trick you into doing the wrong thing. This is where regulation should step in. Nobody is saying it should be illegal to eat two Mars bars or a whole pack of nuts if you want to but it should be illegal for the packagining to deliberately confuse you into thinking that is OK.

zilog6128

Ok but the point stands. Just because it’s unrefined doesn’t mean it’s good for you or will prevent you getting fat.

I’m struggling to picture a scenario where someone who only eats unrefined/unprocessed foods is unhealthy/fat (barring non-dietry related medical factors). Can’t really even think of an unrefined food which isn’t good for you either (unless you happen to be allergic to it).

cfinnimore
    Free Member

You can be fat as you like in my book, but dont be lazy. Or use being fat as an excuse not to do things, like walk.

Medical issues aside.

These things are not mutually exclusive as we all know some large, healthy fit, active people. Contrary to popular belief, they do exist.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on how much you eat really.

How about sucking on sugar cane all day?

Sure people need to make more responsibility for themselves but that is much harder when at every turn huge corportaions are deliberately trying to confuse and trick you into doing the wrong thing.

Worse than this is the normalisation of it. Walk around an office and there’s cakes and doughnuts everywhere, half the office is drinking coke and eating chocolate. And there are always vending machines ready to dish it out.

It’s a bit like (I imagine) being an alcoholic and having to spend 8 hours a day in a pub full of people drinking lots and having fun.

brassneck

To anyone with half a brain these are just king sizes in disguse but our impotent regulator has swalled the food industries BS that these sizes are two bars so are for sharing.

I think it’s more likely they were advised they couldn’t win in a lawsuit if the industry decided to push the issue. So it’s lawyers making us fat 🙂

Cougar

why does the pot contain two and one-sixth servings?

This is a particular bug-bear of mine at the moment, and I’m convinced it’s intentionally misleading.

I got a bag of chocolate buttons the other day. The nutritional guidelines listed “per 100g” (good for comparisons) and “per 25g serving” (good for marketing BS). So far so froody.

Except, the bag contained 119g of chocolaty goodness. Ie, four and nineteen twenty-fifths servings. WTAF? Surely, surely that completely counters the ‘servings’ concept? How many calories are in the bag? How’s your 1.19 times table?

zilog6128

How about sucking on sugar cane all day?

Apparently raw sugar cane is low-GI. I’ve never tried it, but I’m pretty sure it’s not like eating the candy-canes that hang on Christmas trees, so I think you’d probably get bored of all the fibrous crap in it before you’d actually consumed that many calories.

Solo
    Free Member

Apparently raw sugar cane is low-GI.
    No, its just unrefined. The people who harvest sugar cane will chew on it during the day. However, harvesting sugar cane by hand is apparently hard, physical work.

I’m struggling to picture a scenario where someone who only eats unrefined/unprocessed foods is unhealthy
    I’m not sure I’d like to find out how healthy I’d be if I tried to survive on unrefined grains and unprocessed pulses.

zilog6128

Nice try, but not really relevant as they aren’t human foods are they? You might as well argue that you wouldn’t survive eating unrefined rocks. 🙂

batfink
    Free Member

Try eating a punnet of fresh, unrefined apricots…… I don’t think I’ve ever felt so close to death

zilog6128

I bet you’ve only done it once though!

WackoAK
    Free Member

and I’m convinced it’s intentionally misleading.

Of course it is, it’s a total con.

Supermarkets et al sign up to the voluntary traffic light scheme then purposely abuse it by doing this sort of bollocks.

Solo
    Free Member

as they aren’t human foods are they? 
    I’d agree, but the baker will tell you different 😉

😆 @ Batfink

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Politically and morally tricky but someone needs to make the case for the economic impact of obesity & diabetes:
    Reduces energy levels and likely therefore productivity
    Increases absence and therefore productivity
    Increases cost of running NHS and therefore increases taxes or reduces government investment elsewhere.

You could add that fatties tend to peg out earlier than skinnies, so while short term they may cost the NHS a fair whack, Society saves dosh by not having to pay their pensions or store them in an old folks home until they’re 120.

Solo
    Free Member

WackoAK.
    Well put, things in that respect haven’t changed from the 70s. When told to reduce fat content. Food manufacturers turned it around & made low fat a selling point, ie, they turned a threat, into an opportunity and boy does low fat sell !

jfletch
    Free Member

I think it’s more likely they were advised they couldn’t win in a lawsuit if the industry decided to push the issue. So it’s lawyers making us fat

But who makes the laws? The goernment made a crappy law that the evil lawyers are exploiting.

This is a good example.

Except, the bag contained 119g of chocolaty goodness. Ie, four and nineteen twenty-fifths servings. WTAF? Surely, surely that completely counters the ‘servings’ concept? How many calories are in the bag? How’s your 1.19 times table?

You can’t make it illegal to sell a large bag of chocolate but you can force the manaufacturer to label it properly. So rather than the manufacturer getting to pick a portion size that means the bag seems healthy they should be forced to make it relate to what people will actally eat.

So rather than a crappy little warning saying if you eat 25/119th of this bag you will have eaten 9% of your daily fat allowance there should be a big warning saying if you eat half this bag that is RED = bad for you.

People aren’t stupid, they know chocolate is bad for you. But then they read a warning like there currently is, which basically says “go on… they’re not that bad for you”

batfink
    Free Member

I’ve been using the my fitness pal app for a couple of weeks now….. It’s genuinely surprising how many calories are in what you previously thought were healthy foods.

I previously subscribed to the whole “everyone knows what’s healthy and what’s not” school of thought…. But now I don’t.

irelanst
    Free Member

The labelling of products is exactly the same in the Dutch supermarkets, most of the products are the same but the level of obesity is about half that of the UK – I’m not convinced that it’s product labelling thats the root of the issue.

jimification
    Free Member

Labelling Guidelines:

Just tell them what’s in the f’ing pot and don’t be a deceitful shit about it“.

GrahamS

I’m a massive fan of MyFitnessPal too – you’re right it really opens your eyes to less-obvious calories and stupid portion sizes (both large and small).

A set of digital scales is an excellent investment too.

GrahamS

The labelling of products is exactly the same in the Dutch supermarkets, most of the products are the same but the level of obesity is about half that of the UK

Activity levels play a part obviously. A few extra calories matters a lot less when a large part of your population cycle everywhere.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

it’s genuinely surprising how many calories are in what you previously thought were healthy foods.

Lots of calories doesn’t necessarily mean unhealthy though. I think most things only become unhealthy when you eat an awful lot of it or don’t do enough physical activity to burn off the extra calories. For your average joe eating fast food once a month only becomes unhealthy when he’s doing it every other day.

GrahamS

I think most things only become unhealthy when you eat an awful lot of it or don’t do enough physical activity to burn off the extra calories

That’s the whole point of MyFitnessPal: track estimates of Calories In versus Calories Out and keep the numbers in your favour.

It’s crude and people will argue that calories in versus calories out is an oversimplification (which I’m sure it is) but it works and is easy to understand.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

But who makes the laws?

The government…after MASSIVE lobbying pressure from interested parties; food producers, food manufacturers and supermarkets 🙄

miketually
    Free Member

Sugar:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘See this is why people are fat…’ is closed to new replies.