Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)
  • See – it's not just bikes that some drivers don't "see"
  • molgrips
    Free Member

What? Where’s the conflict?

He does the right thing in the incident, but he may have been going over the speed limit, the road may have been greasy or he may have been on bad tyres. His ESP is probably on.

Not sure what you mean?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

If you can’t see the conflict that is there for all to see, then I’m not going to get into a race to the bottom with you.

GrahamS

he may have been going over the speed limit

Telegraph article says that the driver said he was doing about 55mph.

Granted he would say that but I don’t think the video looks like he is going much faster than that. Seems pretty reasonable for the conditions (clear day, clear A road).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Surprised nobody’s criticised him for his snow hat tbh 😆

Really hope this goes to a prosecution tbh, that was madness- sometimes seems like people stick these dash/helmet cams on youtube etc but then don’t take it further

Junkyard
    Free Member

He doesnt’ seem to slow down very fast

The fact that he comes quickly to a stop

Not sure how you unite these views tbh

GrahamS

For reference I think this is the junction on Streetview:

https://goo.gl/maps/bnIYX

legend
    Free Member

Didn’t clear the snow off his roof – car driver at fault.

scotroutes

All that snow should have made the VAN easier to see 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Must admit that I think the movement of the truck should have alerted him earlier…

legend
    Free Member

All that snow should have made the VAN easier to see

pfft, don’t let facts get in the way of an STW opinion!

br
    Free Member

We have two HGV drivers (out of 8 ) who drive with this attitude at work. They’ve become even worse since we had Telematics fitted (to apparently save money on fuel and stop accidents from inappropriate speed..), they will just drive straight out instead of having to brake and accelerate again. Saves them getting the mpg-hit and any marks for harsh braking/accelerating.

Consequence of having Telematics fitted. If you are been marked for every ‘infringement’ then you’ll drive to ensure you don’t get the ‘infringement’ and a daily/weekly/monthly sit-down with your Manager to ‘explain’ yourself. Near-misses aren’t recorded 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Interesting that he didnt use the horn at all.
    Not that doing so would have made any difference, although perhaps the wagon may have stopped?

GrahamS

Consequence of having Telematics fitted. .. Near-misses aren’t recorded

Hmm.. perhaps the telematics need to incorporate proximity sensors and/or cameras? Would that help?

Interesting that he didnt use the horn at all.

If it was me I wouldn’t have need the horn – the wagon driver would have heard the swearing and the almighty sonic boom as I filled my breeks in sub-millisecond time.

kcal

Horn is DefCon 2/3 – that was DefCon 4 minimum 🙂

hamishthecat

Van driver was a pussy – if he’d booted it he could have fitted through the gap no problem. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

If you can’t see the conflict that is there for all to see, then I’m not going to get into a race to the bottom with you.

Well obviously I would not have intended to post two contradictory statements, so if I have got mixed up I’d appreciate it being pointed out.

He looks like he didn’t brake very quickly at first when he was on tarmac, but once the car is on the grass it appears to slow quickly for a car with two wheels on grass.

teasel
    Free Member

You can see the truck has no intention of stopping so I’m going to assume he’s missed the van driver completely in the staccato step vision thing (can’t remember its name) or maybe he just didn’t give a shit.

Edit : Though I also have to guess the driver wasn’t aware of the truck approaching at said speed, which again is entirely plausible.

As far as the slowing down thing goes, if you’ve ever had a high speed accident you’ll know in some instances you slow down pretty quickly when you mount/hit the curb.

Molgrips » Well obviously I would not have intended to post two contradictory statements, so if I have got mixed up I’d appreciate it being pointed out.

Junkyard » He doesnt’ seem to slow down very fast

The fact that he comes quickly to a stop

Not sure how you unite these views tbh

lemonysam
    Free Member

staccato step vision thing

Saccades.

teasel
    Free Member

That’s the thingamajig…!

DezB
    Free Member

Has this turned into another “I’m a better driver/rider/pedestrian/human than everyone else” thread? I don’t dare look.

Northwind

Saccadic masking shouldn’t cause that- you get that when you’re looking around quickly, but the driver bloody well should have been looking up the road not just glancing or flicking his eyes over quickly. Basically he could only meet the conditions for saccadic masking by not looking properly.

cbike
    Free Member

They were both asleep! That was developing for ages! Its the slowest, most obvious hazard perception test ever! It’s also easier to see something crossing your vision rather than direct towards it. The Truck is on a constant bearing which would wake up any sailor!

molgrips
    Free Member

Though I also have to guess the driver wasn’t aware of the truck approaching at said speed, which again is entirely plausible.

When someone pulled out infront of me – although it was all at 20mph ish – there was a split second gap between my Mrs gasping and me hitting the brakes. I saw her at the same time but I think perhaps because I am less of a nervous driver some part of my brain told me she was bound to stop. Only when she actually entered the road and it was clear she wasn’t going to stop did I slam on.

Perhaps a similar thing happened here.

Just looked back again.. the lorry is well visible and clearly not slowing to a stop, so yeah I think he should’ve braked earlier. Bear in mind it’s a wide angle lens so the lorry would’ve been larger in his eye than ours.

teasel
    Free Member

Basically he could only meet the conditions for saccadic masking by not looking properly.

Indeed, I wasn’t suggesting otherwise. Taking a total guess I’d say he took a few cursory glances and just went for it. Could be totally wrong but that’s how it looks to me.

teasel
    Free Member

some part of my brain told me she was bound to stop.

If the van driver was aware then that’s a likely thought process. We’ve all done it, I’m sure. Presumption is the mother of all **** ups or something, isn’t it…

Edit : Infact, I reckon that’s exactly what he thought – the truck might just wait mid-road for him to pass before pulling out, which would explain the lack of reaction, too.

Who knows. TBH, I don’t really give a shit, just glad no one got hurt.

globalti
    Free Member

They were both asleep! That was developing for ages! Its the slowest, most obvious hazard perception test ever! It’s also easier to see something crossing your vision rather than direct towards it. The Truck is on a constant bearing which would wake up any sailor!

Spot on. If I’d been on my motorbike I’d have hit the high beam and the twin Fiamms a long time before that truck reached the junction and I’d have been covering the brakes as well.

cbike
    Free Member

Assuming it was a hazard perception test, at 26 seconds in I noticed, and would have braked hard at 27. and reckon car would have stopped at the road junction. But I’m human and not perfect so Death and and a substantial premium increase is also an option.

DezB
    Free Member

Has this turned into another “I’m a better driver/rider/pedestrian/human than everyone else” thread?

Yep. Jeez

teasel
    Free Member

First sign of madness, DezB.

imnotverygood

I’m sure that if the police follow this up, they will decide it’s 50/50 and probably do the driver for parking on a grass verge.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

A truck did that to me but I was much closer and driving at 60mph. All I could do is slam my brakes and stop inches from the lorry. Ditches on either side of me.

I did see him pull at the last second and braked early as I could.

Lorry driver drove past me and we opened windows and he said sorry.

Mistakes happen.

I drove off thinking you *** *** could have killed me.

No harm done but I do have 330 mm discs on my car thank god.

maxtorque

The problem with “post event analysis” is that it is just that, post event. You know the outcome.

In the real world, trucks arrive at T junctions several millions times a day. if every time you saw one, you performed an emergency stop, you’d never get anywhere at all (and you’d get rear ended all the time too, ooh matron….. 😉

So, regression to normality becomes the significant factor in (near) accidents like this. In fact, i think the driver did ok. He was driving at an appropriate speed (imo) and when it became clear the truck wasn’t going to stop, he brakes under control, and remembered to steer out of the way )amazing how many people just brake and then drive straight into the object, even when they could have just driven around it!)

I think a fair proportion of distracted drivers on our roads probably wouldn’t have even spotted the truck at all and just driven straight into it……..

milky1980
    Free Member

Consequence of having Telematics fitted. If you are been marked for every ‘infringement’ then you’ll drive to ensure you don’t get the ‘infringement’ and a daily/weekly/monthly sit-down with your Manager to ‘explain’ yourself. Near-misses aren’t recorded

Exactly what I said in the meeting that told us they were being introduced! The number of RLJ fines has increased, related?

Hmm.. perhaps the telematics need to incorporate proximity sensors and/or cameras? Would that help?

We already have separate cameras which are viewed after accidents. Never used to spot bad driving otherwise due to how long it would take to watch the footage generated by 40+ vans each day!

GrahamS

Never used to spot bad driving otherwise due to how long it would take to watch the footage generated by 40+ vans each day!

Yeah fair enough – not sure what the answer is to that (other than driverless vans!)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Frankenstein – Member

No harm done but I do have 330 mm discs on my car thank god.
    Its not the size thats important, its how you use them…. 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Has this turned into another “I’m a better human than everyone else” thread?

Yep. When you posted that ..
    whilst looking down on everyone else 🙂

teethgrinder

Commercial vehicle drivers are nearly always twunts. The bigger the vehicle, the bigger the twunt.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I disagree. Most lorry drivers are pretty good. Always be a few bad ones.

Coach drivers on the other hand…..

Markie
    Free Member

Round here I don’t in general (bad apples excluded) have a problem, with coach, lorry or tractor drivers. Taxi drivers though…

Houns

Logging truck driver being a bat £&)( mental driver shocker

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘See – it's not just bikes that some drivers don't "see"’ is closed to new replies.