Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 'security' torx bolts
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I lent a mate my set of torx wrenches so he can adjust the width on his roof bars. He couldn’t use them as the bolts are the security type with the small spigot sticking up the centre of the bolt head – he’s obviously lost the tool that came with his rack. I didn’t think you could buy those wrenches as they are obviously security style ones, or am I wrong? does anyone know where you can or if you get them?

Cheers

bigyinn
    Free Member

I got a set of security torx keys from Aldi.
    I didnt actually realise they were the security ones, but seeing as the newly aquired renault was festooned with torx bolts they were a necessity.
    Failing that, most hardware stores will sell security bit sets. Kinda defeats the point of them though!
    Failing that, you might be able to just break the spigot off with a hammer and a centre punch.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks. It does rather defeat the object of security bolts if the bits are widely available.

njee20
    Free Member

I got some from Maplin some years ago.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Thanks. It does rather defeat the object of security bolts if the bits are widely available.

No, because there are 5 point and 6 point styles. I guarantee that you’ll buy the wrong ones and won’t be arsed to go back to the shop for the correct set.
    All safe and sound. 😛

fasthaggis

Got this set for a bargain,it is full of weird and wonderful bits.

BigJohn

There’s a special bit in the £5 multi selection box from Lidl that undoes cash machines from the front of banks.

Cougar

I got mine from Screwfix. They’re not restricted or anything, just not the sort of thing most people carry around. Security through obscurity, if you will.

bails

I’ve got them in my big Halfords socket set. I’m sure you’d be able to buy them individually for not much more than normal torx.

Edit: £5 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-30629-Security-Bit-Set/dp/B00473OARU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470855225&sr=8-1&keywords=Security+torx

Northwind

wobbliscott – Member

I think you’ve misunderstood what they’re for. They’re to inconvenience the legitimate owner and to scam them into buying unneccesary special tools or taking things to a professional. The only security impact they can have is deterring unequipped opportunists.

(essentially the only time I can remember ever seeing one used effectively for security reasons, is on the waymarking signs at glentress- people kept pinching the trail nameplates for souveniers, and pretty much everyone has a multitool in their bag but not an inconvenience torx bit)

toby

I’ve got this set in my work toolbox for random things that need them £3.42 seems well worth it for the peace of mind.

I’ve also got this Wera set of torx keys which are drilled for tamper resist screws down to the T10, for working on the car and they’re lovely to use.

maccruiskeen

Failing that, most hardware stores will sell security bit sets. Kinda defeats the point of them though!

Even if they weren’t reality available to buy I don’t think it would take Raffles the Gentleman Thief too long to figure out that all you need to do is drill a hole in the end of a normal torx bit.

mattyfez

Would take far too much thought and effort for the average opportunist scrotes though.

Nothings ever really secure, it’s just about making it a little more hassle to put theives off, they are not going to be walking about with 3 kilos of custom bits in thier pockets..

footflaps

I got mine from Screwfix.

Not this one by any chance?

Had it years, always comes in handy….

Northwind

maccruiskeen – Member

Even if they weren’t reality available to buy I don’t think it would take Raffles the Gentleman Thief too long to figure out that all you need to do is drill a hole in the end of a normal torx bit.

OK, discussing security defeats can be a bit of a bad idea but this one I think is so well known and only beats pointless security methods so it’s probably cool… The pin will usually snap off at the base if you tap it with a hammer and screwdriver.

mattyfez – Member

Would take far too much thought and effort for the average opportunist scrotes though.

Nothings ever really secure, it’s just about making it a little more hassle to put thieves off, they are not going to be walking about with 3 kilos of custom bits in thier pockets..

Thing is though, like I mentioned up the page it’s rare that they actually do anything that’ll deter an opportunist. In this case, roofrack bolts- they’re not stopping anyone from stealing a bike. They’re not even stopping anyone from stealing a roofrack. All it’s doing, is stopping an opportunist from adjusting the width of your roofrack. And ironically making it harder for you to do that, than it is for a thief with £2 worth of tools to steal your bike off the roofrack.

scotroutes

I have one, for fitting Sustrans signs. It’s really just a bit of deterrence for those that would move/remove them for devilment.

twisty

The pin will usually snap off at the base if you tap it with a hammer and screwdriver.

/\This/\

The first time I xperienced this type of faster on a 1984 IBM XT power supply and I just snapped the spigots off with a screwdriver and then used an allen key.

A few years later I got that red box of 101 1/4″ bits for £5 of eBay which has been useful for a multitude of jobs.
    The security flat bits are useful for rounded wheel nipples BTW.
    I even came across the square drive once when dismantling a fence.

kcal

In distant times past, was completely non-plussed trying to take apart / get access to an original Macintosh, had never seen the what I now know to be Torx bolts before.. Probably same idea, obscure the hoi polloi from getting access.

fasthaggis

Has anyone ever used their hook puterinerer?
    I always forget all about it. 🙂

twisty

I have no idea what that thing is supposed to for but I did find it handy for screwing in eye bolts.

squirrelking
    Free Member

There are square drive bits on Crosman air guns thoughhey have a slot for a flat head screwdriver of suitable width cut in as well. Maybe its just to fool muricans…

footflaps

Has anyone ever used their hook puterinerer?

Is that what it is for?

jamj1974

LMAO!

Northwind

scotroutes – Member

I have one, for fitting Sustrans signs. It’s really just a bit of deterrence for those that would move/remove them for devilment.

Aye, perfect use. We use them for this too to stop students turning all the signs upside down

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I think you’ve misunderstood what they’re for. They’re to inconvenience the legitimate owner and to scam them into buying unneccesary special tools or taking things to a professional

Definitely, the first time I encountered one was when I went to change the master cylinder pistons in my hope brakes and the plate that stops the piston coming out was held in with them 😡

Had to take my torx key into work next day and drill it out in the lathe, do hope think people go round with a torx key loosening them or something 😆

Cougar

Not this one by any chance?

The first set I got was a small yellow box, but yes, I have that exact bit set now. It lives in my laptop bag, along with a vast array of other tools I almost never need.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘'security' torx bolts’ is closed to new replies.