Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Security lights – what’s the point?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Had 2 bikes stolen from my brick outbuilding last week. Part of my cr@ppy security was a standard security light. It obviously came on, but all it took was a quick yank on the sensor and the thing is rendered useless (and now broken)

So, what do I do? Put a cage around it, mount it so high on the rear wall of my house that I can adjust it?

ps – what’s a solid steel security door going to cost me?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not much point relying on a security light, as you found out – all it does is light people up. If I were a criminal I’d just wear a balaclava. However, there’s much you can do. Get a shed alarm, or better still a house alarm that’s police monitored. I dunno about steel doors but I got an electric section garage door (apparently quite secure, much more so than a normal one) for £800, on the insurance. I also got an Almax chain. You won’t realise how much peace of mind it’ll give you till you actuall see it. They’re huge.

Security is expensive but for me it’s worth it for the peace of mind.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Security lights just let the little feckers see exactly where they are going, and if there are obstacles in the way..

You don’t need a torch if you can see where yer going..

mudshark
    Free Member

I have some mounted high up all around my house put up by the previous owners. I live in a safe area so they do little more than let the foxes see where they are going.

Having said that surely having security lighting at the front of the house is worthwhile if you want to protect your garage? It would put people off breaking in wouldn’t it? Not that there would be many people passing to see them in the early hours I suppose.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Security lights do little IMO, they just light the way – at 3-4am no-one takes any notice of them anyway, other than rolling over in bed and going to sleep. But why the hell would you install one within reach of the person you’re trying to light up? My parents have one at about 15ft.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

The more security measures, the better.

mudshark
    Free Member

Geese make good guards – can even break a man’s arm…or is that swans? Get a swan!

bensales
    Free Member

Only reason I have a security light is so I can see to put the key in the front door.

I used to have a porch light but kept forgetting to turn it off.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Security lights – what’s the point?’ is closed to new replies.