Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Security cable Vs chain
  • Premier Icon pedlad

Beefing up security a bit and going to put in a resin fastened wall anchor and start using either quite a long length or lengths of something with a padlock to pass through multiple frames.

I really it needs to be light enough so that I bother, doesn’t damage frames and kids can man-handle it again without damage. I know everything can be defeated but this is to make life harder/slower and hopefully dissuade an attempt.

Are there any cable types that are better to use in terms of fouling bolt cutters/angle grinders or is the answer always a big heavy chain?

Premier Icon pothead
    Free Member

Lots of noise before the theiving b******s actually get to the bike is the best deterrent, an angle grinder with the right cutting disc (I’m a metal worker and use these things every day) will cut through a heavy chain in seconds, and a determined thief will cut the frame if it looks like the faster option as most of them will strip the components as they’re easier to sell on and much harder to identify than a frame/full bike

Premier Icon fossy

You could always add an alarmed padlock – these go off if disturbed by motion. Chains are better than cable.

Premier Icon Northwind

As far as I know there’s basically no good security cables on the market- all easily and silently cut with concealable hand tools. But, sometimes all you really want is something to stop an opportunist smashing in a door and running off and cables can do that. It’s your one-step-better-than-nothing option.

A good way to make big chains easier to live with is to combine them with a quality d-lock- they offer pretty similar levels of protection. So a single length of chain rather than a loop, with a d-lock for each bike put through a chain link, or some variation of that. You can use it to have duplication too- like, my bikes are all chained to the anchor but they’re also d-locked to each other and that helps keep parts locked in too, IMO it’s just about the only thing you can do with chains that both adds security and is easier to live with, most times adding security means extra hassle.

(a properly wrapped chain shouldn’t damage a bike frame tbh but it is definitely awkward for kids, especially if you’ve got a stack of bikes and it’s not the topmost one they want)

If you’ve not got an alarm, it’s totally worth it. But not the sort that goes in the garage- you probably won’t hear it and the thief will silence or break it in seconds, total waste of time and money. But something like this, isn’t:

I have 2 of ’em (not this exact model but probably the same board in a different shaped box), slaved together so that the 2 triggers in the garage have perfect coverage and can’t be quickly disabled, and they both trigger both of the alarm units inside the house, which also gives lots of battery/damage redundancy. Can’t be heard outside so your burglar doesn’t even know he’s set it off. Batteries last for ages. Basically it is the cheapest bit of peace of mind I think I’ve ever bought and I totally recommend it. Of course a proper professional alarm is better but these are dirt cheap and install in seconds.

(I added a Blink camera later, not sure I necessarily recommend the Blink itself but something like it is definitely nice to have- the push-to-phone warnings are great and also means if you get an alarm or even you just get paranoid about a noise or something, you can quickly check what’s up. More expensive obviously

Premier Icon dsizzle
    Free Member

FWIW, I have a long cable around the kids bikes plus a gold rated hiplok chain through that and my frame.

Biggest ballache is getting the cable off the kids bikes. One end loops through the other but because all these cables are ‘coiled’ to make them smaller when not in use, it’s pretty hard to unravel the damn thing.

If my kids used their bikes every day like I do that cable would be reserved for trips only.

Premier Icon prettygreenparrot

Cables: useless.
    chains: better than cables.

Premier Icon tonyplym
    Free Member

How about a length of heavy gauge fixed rigging wire from a sailing boat ? – would have a bit of flex, but would be stiff enough to feed through a row of bikes. Hard eye at each end for padlocking to something solid. If you live near a marina worth asking the local rigging crew to see if they have any “used” lengths – the rigging wire stretches a bit in service and has to be replaced every now and again.

Premier Icon oreetmon
    Free Member

Often wondered if ‘chainsaw pants’ material can be bought per meter.

Wrap locks and chains in it with a couple of zip ties, hopefully the thieving bstards won’t realised until the grinders clogged.

After having my DH and HT bikes stolen from the garage a few years ago I built a 2X bike size cage in the garage around the insurance replacements using rebar foundation grid sheeting and an aldi welder with substantial locks.

PITA to access before and after each ride but would seriously slow down a smash and grab thief.

Keep my bikes in the spare room now (bungalow), much easier to access and a much better deterrent,also fully insured. Mrs got used to it… eventually 😉

Premier Icon captainblack3131
    Free Member

hahaha.!

Premier Icon w00dster

I use a multitude of locks and chains for the garage. Using ground anchors I have a Kryptonite New York Fuggaboutit cable, 1.6m, goes through two bikes. I also have the Kryptonite Mini Lock on my more expensive bike that the kids don’t go near, slightly awkward to get in and out off but the more awkward for me, the more awkward for a thief.
    The other bikes each have the standard Kryptonite New York lock between rear wheel and bottom bracket. I also have another cheaper cable lock for the cheaper bikes.
    In my previous place I had someone attempt to take the bikes, not sure what was used by they couldn’t get through the cables. One cheaper D lock was busted as was the standard security cable I had running through them. But the New York chains and locks were scratched to buggery but not broken.
    While a very organised and determined thief will get them, they will need to make a lot noise.

Premier Icon Tracey
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.