Security Alert for the Apple Mac-ists MacOS

Home Forum Chat Forum Security Alert for the Apple Mac-ists MacOS

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Security Alert for the Apple Mac-ists MacOS
  • scuttler

You need to either set a root password, don’t let your Mac out of your sight (although you probably take it to bad n that), or patch when the patch is out. If you don’t know what the root account is it’s like an account for God, Jesus, Allah and Darth Vader combined.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/28/root_access_bypass_macos_high_sierra/

Apologies if it’s already been posted but it’s not on page 1 or 2 and I’d expect continued debate not least from the anti-<insert favourite OS here>-brigade.

retro83

I’d expect continued debate not least from the anti-<insert favourite OS here>-brigade.

All OSs have serious security bugs from time to time, even OpenBSD, however this is probably one of the worst **** ups I’ve ever heard of in OS security.

whitestone

I saw it on the BBC site and couldn’t believe that the root account was left open.

doris5000

I read somewhere that the root account doesn’t necessarily exist until you try to log in to it. Then it helpfully creates one for you, with no pwd 😆

Glad I haven’t gone to High Sierra yet! Usually leave any OS upgrades to at least x.2 but with Sierra I left it a lot longer than that. Probably will do for this one too…

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

It just works, apart from when it f’s up! 😆

Just like another other os really! Though I do wish windows would implement expose and proper drag and drop..

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Glad I haven’t gone to High Sierra yet!

I thought it was all Mac OSes, not just HS. Maybe miss heard it on the radio..

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Though I do wish windows would implement expose and proper drag and drop..

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

expose, hot corners(show desktop, show all window, show application windows), and being able to grab a file, hit the corner and drop it in to some other program or what not, whether on the dock or in the window or between desktop. Windows doesn’t work do great that way, spring loaded folders would be great too. Mean you can navigate fairly extensively just with the flick of a mouse.

I’ve got a thing for windows 10 that gives me a hot corner for desktop and all windows (just the new task view and desktops browser), but it’s a pale imitation, and you can’t drag and drop.

It’s the bestest thing in the world about OSX. 😆 has been since it was introduced in 10.3(I think.)

Premier Icon letmetalktomark
    Subscriber

What ar the ramifications if any for disabling root user – thinking in the context of home use machine.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

What ar the ramifications if any for disabling root user – thinking in the context of home use machine.

Not a lot. I’m not doing anything about our Macs at home…

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

I thought it was all Mac OSes

I think it is. I’ve certainly come across back door means of getting into macs with earlier OSs. Doesn’t stop me owning and using them though.

retro83

letmetalktomark – Member

Don’t disable it, just set a password for it.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Funnily enough one “workaround” I saw on t’internet today suggests disabling the Guest account. When I upgraded to High Sierra my Guest account got disabled anyway, which makes me wonder if Apple were already aware of this.

iffoverload

physical access? OS on a USB key and nothing is secure use an openfirmware password lock if you are worried.

doris5000

I thought it was all Mac OSes, not just HS. Maybe miss heard it on the radio..

Just HS according to Macrumors: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/29/apple-fixes-root-password-bug-security-update/

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

how can I stop this godawful OS from asking me if I want to install high sierra every day? there’s not even a close window option on the dialogue.

bikebouy

Just updated the Patch fix for this issue, took about 5mins.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Why?

craigxxl

Is this just a High Sierra problem or does it affect Sierra too?

craigxxl

Cheers Cougar.

retro83

molgrips – Member – Block User – Quote
    Why?

Moot point now there’s a patch, but it’s because setting a password on the root account prevents the bug occurring, disabling the account doesn’t.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.