Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Securing + size wheels
  • Premier Icon danmac
    Free Member

So I’m planning on riding this weekend and its evident I’m not going to get longer thule straps in time. Any ideas on safely securing 27.5+ tyres to roof mounted carrier? Hopefully something that can be obtained at a local DIY as halfords didn’t seem to want to recommend anything helpful

Premier Icon martinkiely
    Free Member

Old inner tube, cut into lengths, stretched and tied – works a treat! Pal of mine has lost the straps on his rack so just does this instead – with an XL Cotic Rocket tied to the roof at 80mph…

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

Holding them is easy, anything from shoelaces to bungi things or ratchet straps will do just fine, just tie it round the rack not the wheel holder. Your bigger issue is getting the tyres into the rack if your rack has the standard wheel holders (which I assume it does given the need for longer straps).

Besides have you seen the forecast? “can’t get my bike on the roof” might be a blessing!

Premier Icon danmac
    Free Member

To my surprise the wheels and tyres sit damn near perfectly in the carrier, just the strap is about a half inch off

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

In which case anything you can tie down tight enough should be fine – I like the inner tube idea, I used my emergency gaffer tape on the occasion mine snapped.

Premier Icon Brainflex

Cable ties, just cut em off n have spares ready.

Premier Icon breadcrumb

The straps on my Thule 598 just fit a Chronicle (29*3).

The fat bike proved to big so until I got the fat bike adapters I just used a tie down strap.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Rope would work.
    Tie them down.

Premier Icon Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Roof rack straps are solid, easy, and reusable. They’re also useful for lots of things.

Premier Icon fatbikedog
    Free Member

Toe clip straps.

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Let some air out of the tyres

Premier Icon mjsmke
    Free Member

Halfords do their own branded longer straps. Think they do up to 4 meters.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

I was going to say, Halfords have all manner of straps. I use them for tying bikes down inside the car.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.