Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • securing a bike in the car, upright?
  • mcj78
    Free Member

Alrighty – fairly often i sling the bike in the back of the car with one of the back seats folded down, upright with the front wheel off – does anyone know of a good way to secure it in place other than some bodged contraption? Is there a fork holder mount that could be bolted to the boot floor somewhere?

The car is a Skoda popemobile Roomster so has plenty of height at the back for bikes to stand upright & Skoda actually made an optional mount that mounted across the boot floor & held a fork qr adapter thing but it’s pricey and hard to get hold of – like this:

null

Has anyone knocked up something clever with a fork adapter or suchlike? I’d like it to be secured in pace somehow in case i ever end up with a loose bike flying through the car should I ever stop “suddenly”

Cheers!
    J

nickliv

I’ve got a 110 with a bolted in saris trap, works nicely for my QR bikes and in yours, ought to be ok if the boot floor is mdf /ply. Make sure you use big washers.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve seen something similar in the back of a pick-up bed. Must be something you can buy.

EDIT: Like this:

truck

And another one (link)

mcj78
    Free Member

Cheers guys – any of those would probably do the trick, those Saris mounts look like a good option – will have a look at the boot floor to see how sturdy it is, maybe re-enforce the area the mount would attach to… and big washers – anythign is better than the current “wedge it between the seats” method…

Ta!
    J

ads678

Can you not just bungy it to the luggage strap points, or ratchet strap for even moarerer security?

tillydog
    Free Member

I used a Minoura Vergo Excel in the back of our van, but needed to make packers to raise the fork mounts up high enough to be able to screw the axles in on MTBs without extreme faff.

It is very stable and needs no bolting.

Linky

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gX4mA5]DSC08640[/url] by tillydog, on Flickr

(I was on a mission to fit 4 bikes in, so bolted a couple of extra fork mounts to the Vergo rail)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gX4oAn]IMG_20190712_163431[/url] by tillydog, on Flickr

Bez

I take the front wheel and seatpost out, turn the bars 90 degrees, place it against the side, and then strap it to the bars that the rear seat back clicks into. Additional bikes just go alongside. Shortarses can skip the seatpost step 🙂

DickBarton

Bungee cord round frame and headrest?

confused58

I use Delta bike hitch axle mounts bolted to a plank in my Yeti, crude but cheap and effective.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Bungees will do sod all, been there and very quickly discounted as a remote option. Even strapping it into my bingo bus at the seat belt and luggage anchors isn’t great.

I’ve considered how I would mount a length of unistrut across the car, either by fitting into the seat runners or just taking the runners out and replacing them with more unistrut. I would then fit a couple of saris clamps on the widthways length.

parkesie
    Free Member

I just bungee mine to the baggage rail in the boot .

cr500dom
    Free Member

Plywood strip across the back of the car on the floor
    fork holders screwed to it
    velcro underneath to stick to the boot carpet
    it wont go anywhere

jag61

We use luggage / roof rack straps through the tie
    Down points . wheel’s out, seat out bike upside down straps over fork crown very securecan leave rear wheel on smaller bike ( Citroen picasso so decent space like you got?)

squirrelking
    Free Member

velcro underneath to stick to the boot carpet
    it wont go anywhere

I’d love to see the crash test video to back that up. Bikes weigh more than small children, would you secure an infant with velcro?

ratherbeintobago

+1 for the Minoura thing – after a bit of hunting around recently that’s what I went for. About £90 IIRC?

DickBarton

Bungees work well as does a cargo strap (like a giant toeclip strap). I’ve got a mark 1 Minoura upright stand…not been used for years as bike goes in complete in the Partner…works well but unsure how it would work with the wide bars of today…

mattbee

I bungee mine to the seatbelt mount in my Berlingo.

Mine and wife’s bikes, one to seatbelt mount, the other tot he middle seat headrest.

Had no issues with bikes moving or owt.

dovebiker

I used to have a Ford Galaxy – 2 San Remo roof rack fork mounts screwed to a piece of 4×2 timber across the back. Use webbing straps to tie them down to the floor if you’re worried, but it ain’t going anywhere

stumpy01

I got a sheet of MDF, made a QR mount for the front wheel & some blocks at the back end for the chainstays to rest on. These had a narrow strap running through them to wrap around the stays.

It took a few hours to make & varnish to stop water from the bike swelling the mdf.

It was meant to be just to test the idea out & I was then going to make a second version with a sliding rail for the fork QR, but never got round to it and it worked fine as it was.

I would share some pics, but they are on Photobucket & I gave up with that years ago!

boggie62
    Free Member

In my Roomster I take the nearside rear seat out (usually drop the other rear seats and store it behind them) and move the front passenger seat forward a bit, dropper post down and front wheel off, forks drop into rear footwell and frame bungeed to roof grab handle. It always stays put. Needless to say a tarp also goes in first.

sootyandjim
    Free Member
    mcj78
    Free Member

Cheers all – I ordered one of the Saris fork mounts to try out, with a bit of extra re-enforcement under the boot floor it should do the trick & it’s fairly low profile too for when there’s not a bike in the back – it’s only probably going to hold a road bike for now but with having our 2yr old in the car too I want something that’s fixed in place as securely as possible.

The Minoura looks good but can’t see a way to fix it in place, would be a good solution if there were bolt holes in the feet somewhere for a bit of extra security – the Bikeinside one looks pretty good too, if you could open some access panels in the boot & get the mounting feet against some metal it looks like would be solid.

Cheers!
    John

JAG

I sling the bike in the back of the car with one of the back seats folded down, upright with the front wheel off

I do similar in the back of my Honda CRV but front end of the bike goes in first. Then I use a strap to pull the frame against the remaining, upright, back seat. I pass the strap around the headrest stay on the backseat.

I usually stand the front wheel upright, against the frame, and make sure the strap passes through the spokes to secure the wheel at the same time.

DickBarton

The Minoura is heavy(ish) so doesn’t need bolted to floor…it is wide so stable.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The Minoura is heavy(ish) so doesn’t need bolted to floor…it is wide so stable.

And again, what happens in a crash? It’s not about whether the stand is stable under normal driving, it’s what happens when the worst happens that counts.

kcr
    Free Member

I use the Thule TU592 in-car fork mounting bar (not sure if they sell this anymore?) anchored to the mounting points at the boot entrance with carabiners. The rear ends of the bikes are strapped down to rear anchor points with cam lock webbing straps.

DickBarton

Heavy braking? The shape of the bike will stop of flying around…you could always lock the back brake on to assist in it not moving without a serious braking force applied. Depending on what you remove, the bike not shift anyway.
    Good to think about it but best not overthrowing it.
    The solutions work, just pick the one you are happiest with, plenty of options from very cheap (bungee/cargo straps) through to some proper fancy kit.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Heavy braking? The shape of the bike will stop of flying around…

No, I’m talking about a proper crash, rolling and spinning about the place with said child in the back. Would I **** have bikes or bungee cords with my daughter in there never mindanyone else. Strap it down or it’s an unsecured load which is a death trap.

Take a box of spanners and give it a good rattle, then try it with an egg or piece of fruit inside.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘securing a bike in the car, upright?’ is closed to new replies.