Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Secure bottle cage / bottle for tools?
  • meandyuk

My bike has got a third set of bottle cage mounts underneath the downtube. I’ve currently got a standard bottle cage and tool bottle under theres but it keeps falling out when I go over rough stuff…. just wondering if there are any better ideas out there for using that space for tools? I saw the fabric tool keg but it seems to also have the same problem.

Cheers

Kamakazie

I use a fabric tool keg in the same place in mine.
    It’s been great. Lost it once in 3 years when I hadn’t checked it for months. Quick tighten of both bolts to expand the plugs and it’s been good since.

Some people report losing them regularly but I can only see that if they haven’t tightened the bolts enough or have particularly out of tolerance boss spacing.

wombat

I’ve got the 3rd set of bottle bosses under the downtube of my road/tourer (Dawes Galaxy FTW).

I’ve got one of the plastic Lezyne Flow cage with a Decathlon plastic tool caddy/bottle in it, seems to be solid enough.

It holds 2x inner tubes (28×1.24), 2x Pedros tyre levers, patches, multitool, spare chainlink, C02 canister and a tiny inflator plus a few examination gloves jammed in there for oily repairs at the roadside and to stop everything from rattling. I also have a small pump attached to the frame.

The cage grips the bottle well although I have wrapped a couple of turns of black insulating tape around it to keep it in place just to be safe. It looks alright as the whole assembly is black.

Only gets used on road/cycleway so doesn’t get shaken about as much as an MTB would.

avdave2

Velcro strap or reusable cable tie to keep it in place, if you buy a new cage you’ll have to buy three – you are not going to contemplate running non matching cages are you now

meandyuk

Cheers, may give one of these fabric tool keg’s a go then – stick some water in it to start maybe!

Cheers

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve one of the prototype BearBabe downtube bags for just this purpose. attaches via Velcro rather than bottle bosses though.

solaris

fibre
    Free Member

I use a standard cage and a Toe Strap wrapped around the bottle and cage (between the two mounting holes). Only way the bottle is coming out is if the cage and bolts go with it.

schmiken

King Cages are brill for this and look good too!

BigJohn

I use the Vittoria zip case for tools etc and it’s excellent. Rattle free and stays in the cage over rough ground.

cheers_drive
    cookeaa

£25?…
    For a strap and a bit of plastic with some slots in?

jimdubleyou

Wolf Tooth have a new (ish?) set of bags out –

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/soft-goods

I don’t have downtube bottle bosses, but the pump bag comes with silicone straps too. It can fit a tool roll and a spare mtb tube easily.

It’s first trip in anger will be this weekend so I’ll see how much it keeps the trail crap out, zip seems fairly waterproof. Might turn out that the roll top is better.

Superficial
    Free Member

I have a Lezyne Flow (https://www.evanscycles.com/lezyne-flow-cage-EV163093) cage on my bike. I can’t believe a bottle would ever fall out of it – it’s held so tightly. N.B. I’ve never tried it upside-down.

hochmatoch
    Free Member

I use Tacx cages paired with Tacx bottles. A good combo, never leave at a bottle. The Tacx design is quite common for branded bottles but you can get unbranded ones in 750ml size too for buttons

hochmatoch
    Free Member

*lost a bottle!

bullroar
    Free Member

I use a spare OneUp components EDC strap round the bottle and back of the bottle cage. Pull tight and friction with a standard bottle is very high. The bottle never moves,

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Secure bottle cage / bottle for tools?’ is closed to new replies.