Sectarianism, alive and well at 20000 feet.

• This topic has 64 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  benv.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Sectarianism, alive and well at 20000 feet.
  • Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

How the hell do airlines get away with people being drunk (particularly selling them booze!) at the same time as trying to get people to take their responsibilities to evacuate safely seriously?

It makes zero sense to me.

munrobiker

Banning alcohol on planes because of this makes about as much sense as banning football because of this.

A lot of sense?

It does seem like insanity that in 2019 people want to beat the shit out of each other because half of them don’t go to one church but support a football team, while the other half of them don’t go to another church and support another football team. Being unable to wear certain colours in certain Scottish cities on match days, despite being an actual civilised human being, because you’ll get beaten up is a bit mad.

BruceWee

How the hell do airlines get away with people being drunk (particularly selling them booze!) at the same time as trying to get people to take their responsibilities to evacuate safely seriously?

Last long haul flight I was on I ended up sat next to the fattest person I have ever seen on a plane. In an emergency there was absolutely no way he was going to make it out of his seat and the only way the two of us stuck beside him were getting out was by climbing over the seats in front of us.

If, by some miracle, he did make it out of his seat, I doubt the queue of fellow passengers behind him would have calmly waited for him to squeeze his way down the aisle and end up going over the top of him instead.

It sounds like have more faith in how seriously airlines take their safety evacuations than I do.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

I don’t fly often, every time I’ve been on a plane I’ve had a drink before, and I’ve accepted anything going free on the flight too.
    But unless you breath tested me, or you saw me actually drinking, you would be hard pressed to know, because I’m a quiet drinker, i sit down, turn on the noise cancelling headphones and mind my own business.
    Asshats getting pissed are (mostly, not always) asshats when they’re sober.
    There are already laws, perhaps they need to be enforced a little more rigorously.

One of my staff tried to put through an expenses claim for a pint at the airport at 0800! It wasn’t even like they were travelling on a weekend.

Beyond brass neck. I’d have disciplined the individual.

BruceWee

I’d have disciplined the individual.

What exactly would you discipline him for?

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Being uncouth. Surely he should have had a G&T?

Tallpaul

BLoody Mary at that time of the morning.

Tallpaul

The beauty of Business Class lounge access is the judegement free environment to drink alcohol at whatever time you damn well please.

What exactly would you discipline him for?

Gross Pissconduct?

Premier Icon lovewookie
    Subscriber

I only opened this thread to see if the words Glasgow and Rangers were in there.

it didn’t disappoint.

‘they’ say Celtic supporters are just as bad, but my observations suggest otherwise.

of course, it’s not all of them, some people just like football, others just like to fight, the same way their faithers did.

@TallPaul, the beauty of a self pour Bloody Mary is that no one knows if it’s actually a Virgin Mary, or half a glass of Goose with a splash of tomato juice!

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

I’ve traveled a bit both for pleasure and work and thinking about it, I don’t really recall seeing many people getting smashed in Airport Bars anywhere but the UK.

IHN

Drunks on planes cause so much trouble.

I’ve flown loads, (in non CFH cattle-class) I’ve never seen any trouble

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I don’t think these guys were drunk.
    I think they were stoned.
    And while that loosened thier tongues, that wasn’t the underlying issue….

tjagain

probably both Matt. Sounds like Cocaine and alcohol. You do not need to have much alcohol that to combine it with cocaine makes a very nasty mess

scotroutes

These guys?

globalti

If they didn’t hate each other, who would they target?

Subscriber

probably both Matt

True.

Premier Icon kennyp
    Subscriber

This whole Rangers and Celtic hating each other thing makes no sense to me whatsoever. It’s fairly obvious any dislike should be aimed in the direction of St Mirren.

Their primary colour is black, three players in the team wear the number 6 shirt, and if you take the letters of Love Street and rearrange them they spell “We love evil”. Well they almost do.

probably both Matt. Sounds like Cocaine and alcohol. You do not need to have much alcohol that to combine it with cocaine makes a very nasty mess

maybe we should ban cocaine then. And perhaps even screen people and their possessions for it at airport security

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

Bah petty quarrels, the real enemy is Swindon Town. Their supporters can’t read or write but can drive a tractor.

Subscriber

And perhaps even screen people and their possessions for it at airport security

We did say it was a surprise they got it through.

‘they’ say Celtic supporters are just as bad, but my observations suggest otherwise.

As a complete neutral I can assure you they are as bad as each other.

benv

As a complete neutral I can assure you they are as bad as each other.

Aye but are you a protestant neutral or a catholic neutral?

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.