• This topic has 64 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by benv.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Sectarianism, alive and well at 20000 feet.
  • matt_outandabout

We had to endure 40 minutes of obscene sectarian singing and shouting on this morning’s Flybe flight from Glasgow.
    6 men, all took it in turn to go to loo and seemingly taken a drug (judging by the snowball ‘jokes’ and a near lack of ability to leave the flight), then shouting and signing all sorts of awful songs and taunts.
    The air hostesses handled it as best they could, a couple of passengers shouted for them to keep it down.
    Really intimidating for everyone.
    The hostesses seemed to go on the phone to pilot – we were expecting police at the other end, but nothing.

I know if we had been on the ground in Scotland the would have been illegal.

I’m hoping they were picked up before onward flight to the Rangers game.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Idiots are idiots, whatever their altitude, small minded tards.

Airports and airlines giving them as much alcohol as they can drink will always add fuel to the fire.

bikebouy
    Free Member

diots are idiots, whatever their altitude, small minded tards.

Airports and airlines giving them as much alcohol as they can drink will always add fuel to the fire.

This.. and it will remain so until airlines stop serving and allowing alcohol in airports and on flights.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kcal

that’s pretty bad. Been on some trains where it all looks randomly about to kick off, but flights – thankfully no. I’d be making a strong complaint detailing as above. I’m sure the staff will be logging it too.

And ^^ for the airpots serving alcohol – go past the ‘spoons at Edinburgh at 0730 and its as if its last orders..

squirrelking
    Free Member

Where were you heading out of curiosity?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gimme a minute, I’ll just check MattOAAs Google timeline….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

airlines giving them as much alcohol as they can drink

Ever been on FlyBe?

😃

Anyway, as before, alcohol isn’t the problem. Asshats are the problem.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hashfart, I did say airport too, but you missed that, apparently.

Yes, flown flybe a few times.

ajaj
    Free Member

You can report it yourself, the operator is English and the aircraft on the UK register. They can’t be hard to identify.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hashfart

Oh, my sides…

binners

Rangers fans? Travelling to an away game?

We have very fond memories of these delightful folk from their last visit to Manchester.

To call them animals would be insulting to animals.

benv
    Free Member

To call them animals

I think there is a song about that.

perchypanther
    Free Member

We have very fond memories of these delightful folk from their last visit to Manchester.

I have less fond memories of these delightful folk* from every single day of my life.

You got off lightly.

*and their green counterparts

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hashfart

Sashfart surely?

zippykona

This.. and it will remain so until airlines stop serving and allowing alcohol in airports and on flights.

One day we will look back and not believe that you could actually mix booze and planes.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

One day we will look back and not believe that you could actually mix booze and planes.

And that’ll be the day Delta airlines don’t have any pilots.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Booze is fine, it’s the asshats that take the piss that are the problem. A travel ban would quickly knock that on the head.

poly
    Free Member

And ^^ for the airpots serving alcohol – go past the ‘spoons at Edinburgh at 0730 and its as if its last orders..

One of my staff tried to put through an expenses claim for a pint at the airport at 0800! It wasn’t even like they were travelling on a weekend.

MOAB – I’d have asked FlyBe customer services if they would be allowing the passengers to fly home… …although I’d call them Cabin Crew rather than “Hotstesses”, so as not to piss them off!

binners

Don’t you get your British citizenship revoked if you don’t have a pint at the airport no matter what time you get to there?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyway, as before, alcohol isn’t the problem. Asshats are the problem.

Indeed, but when it is banned at least the (few) Asshats that spoiled it for the many can actually be blamed.

As always, the few spoil it for the many.

bearnecessities

Sashfart surely?

It’s flashart – although the intellectual property office is yet to get back to me.

CountZero

Booze is fine, it’s the asshats that take on the piss that are the problem.

matt_outandabout

MOAB – I’d have asked FlyBe customer services if they would be allowing the passengers to fly home… …although I’d call them Cabin Crew rather than “Hotstesses”, so as not to piss them off!

I did think this evening the good email would be to support cabin crew reaction and ask if they will ban them, also to email rangers with same.

philjunior
    Free Member

Flying (and travelling in general – when I don’t have to be at the controls of course) are times I really appreciate a nice couple of drinks to pass the time when I literally have nothing better to do.

Those of you who think I’m going to spend hours in a metal tube with no booze have another think coming. For the record, I and many others have not sung any sort of offensive songs after drinkies in the airport and in the aircraft. Also, I wouldn’t get drunk just in case of needing to depart the aircraft after a hard landing.

I’m still annoyed at the “no booze after 9pm” rule on trains in Scotland. If I’m on a train after 9pm then, again, that’s the very time I’d like to be having a drink!

Laws exist to deal with these people already. Let’s not suggest punishing those who aren’t arseholes and can handle a drink along with those who are and can’t.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Laws exist to deal with these people already. Let’s not suggest punishing those who aren’t arseholes and can handle a drink along with those who are and can’t.

I agree, but unfortunately there’s no polis around to enforce such laws. There are also laws in place to stop selling folk any more drink when they’re already blootered, but this has been ignored for years.

The cocaine situation is horrendous as well, I’ve a couple of mates in the force in Glasgow and they reckon it’s out of control, guys drinking all day, full of the white stuff, thinking they’re **** superman.

What to do? who knows tbh.

email rangers with same.

Pointless, Scots football clubs have already rejected strict liability, ridiculously, so if they’re not willing to accept responsibility for their fans inside the ground, then you’re onto plums.

tjagain

I would happily ban all alcohol sales in airports and refuse anyone drunk onto planes. Drunks on planes cause so much trouble.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why anyone needs to drink on the likes of a 45 minute train journey either tbh, 4 or 5 hours on a quiet virgin train or something, fair enough I can get, but a commuter train with families etc, guys sitting drinking bottles or cans of beer looks naff as ****, young lassies necking prosecco in plastic glasses even more so!. 🙂

csb

Bearneccessities – it think you’ll find it’s abbreviated to Cashfart.

BruceWee

I’ve never understood why anyone needs to drink

Nobody needs a drink. Would you like a list of the other things nobody needs to do? I’ll warn you though, it’s quite long and includes riding mountain bikes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fair enough, each to their own. Given the amount I’ve rode my bike in the last 2 years, I’d tend to agree! 🙂

hels
    Free Member

Cheap airlines and the airport companies have to take some of the blame for this. Making you turn up at the airport hours before the flight, it really isn’t necessary and is just to get more of your cash from you. Without being as sanctimonious as above – if you are drinking through boredom you might wish to consider buying a good book before you head to the airport.

mashr

philjunior

Those of you who think I’m going to spend hours in a metal tube with no booze have another think coming.

I’m still annoyed at the “no booze after 9pm” rule on trains in Scotland. If I’m on a train after 9pm then, again, that’s the very time I’d like to be having a drink!

Seriously? Doesn’t make it sound like you have a problem at all

Being able to handle your drink is half the problem, I don’t want someone who’s had a skinful getting in my way if things go sideways

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indeed. However, it’s people like me who just see people slugging away on booze before/during flights and then have to suffer the obnoxious behaviour.

And before you pop up shouting at me, I’m not suggesting or accusing You of that behaviour..

It’s the “others” innit.

And thats one social problem people like be don’t like. And there is more of us than the few of you that like a drink and get all “uppity” and cause disruption to what is a simple social transportation system.

If we had a say in the matter (and I don’t think we do yet) or a lobby group I’d be one of those guys ticking the box that says “Ban all Booze in airports and on flights”

For the simple fact I just want to go about my business without any social disruption.

IMO, YMMV.

mrmoofo

I was born in Scotland (Bridge of Allen) and then brought up in Edinburgh.
    Then moved to England…
    I am still very saddened to see the roll that sectarianism has is Scotland (and Ireland) – whilst it is seen as being about football, unfortunately it is far more ingrained than that – it is cultural, social status etc.
    Glasgow seems to be as bad as Belfast on the issue. i would have hoped by 2019 it would be more forward looking

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

These people will never change moofo, they’ll jump on anything that suits their agenda. Brexit and indyref frinstance, there’ll always be something that they can hijack as their own.

csb

How the hell do airlines get away with people being drunk (particularly selling them booze!) at the same time as trying to get people to take their responsibilities to evacuate safely seriously?

As a nervous flyer it’s a mare being on a plane with drunk people.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The money airports make from drink, duty free etc probably subsidises your flight costs.

mrmoofo

It is not the airlines plying people with drink – it is “pay to enter” business lounges and Wetherspoons.
    Very few people (flying shorthaul) can ever get pissed on what FlyBe would offer.

ayjaydoubleyou

Banning alcohol on planes because of this makes about as much sense as banning football because of this.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, ban it for everyone, or just for the asshats? I’m going for the latter option.

Nothing wrong with Bloody Mary at brekker,or a few glasses on a flight. Nothing wrong with Binners having a couple of pints with his steak bake, either. None of that is asshattery.

I’ve seen people kicked out of lounges and refused boarding for being drunk. I’ve seen people being “cut off” mid flight, including a rather embarrassing situation with a colleague. He’d been hitting the champagne way too hard, and cabin crew came to ask if I knew him (they’d seen us chatting at boarding). I assured them this was put of character, suggested they cut him off and offered to help if anything got out of hand. It didn’t, and after the flight he offered profuse apologies to the cabin crew for his behaviour, and to me for putting him in that position.

Airlines, bars and lounges already have the right to stop asshattery. Enforce it, don’t ban it for everyone.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Sectarianism, alive and well at 20000 feet.’ is closed to new replies.