Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • ‘Secret’ bikes – who’s got one?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

the lady-friend is away this weekend, and the sun is bursting the sky up here, so I’ve decided to let loose the secret steed that she doesn’t know about yet.
    Got me thinking….does anyone else have a bike on the sly? One kept hidden to avoid the inevitable questions like:
    “Do you really need that?”
    HOW much…?”
    “Where are you going to keep it?

All of a sudden I feel dirty and guilt-ridden. However, if challenged on it I feel I could convincingly justify it.

Anyway, Carron Valley here I come.

druidh
    Free Member

Are you 12?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You keep secrets from your partner?

Great relationship.

poppa
    Free Member

Ah, the famous STW warmth and hospitality.

Filthy
    Free Member

Not really secret bikes as such, but every now and again she will ask where that one came from, Its usually something I’ve had for ages and she’s just not noticed.

mcspamhammer
    Free Member

Not really secret bikes as such, but every now and again she will ask where that one came from, Its usually something I’ve had for ages and she’s just not noticed.

That’ll be just like her wardrobe then 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

LOL . . . reminds me of when papadirt and I were newly married and he was round the garage with a neighbour. When he came back to the house the neighbours young wife asked ‘Is Paul with you?’. ‘Yeah’, said papa, he’s round the corner fixing the motorbike . . . to the reply ‘MOTORBIKE!! i DIDN’T KNOW HE HAD A BLOODY MOTORBIKE!!’ Class!! 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

Mine are kept in the garage and the garage has a loft. Not sure my wife knows how many bikes I’ve got and certainly not how many wheels I have but not sure she cares and I wouldn’t feel the need to tell her if I was going to get something new. Maybe if we had kids or were short of money things would be different.

chakaping
    Free Member

They’re only usually secret until the courier arrives to deliver them.

stuey
    Free Member

I too a secret bike(s: one at my sisters – one at mother in laws ((oh and Ti frame in the loft)) – Wife knows I wouldn’t buy one if it wasn’t a ‘bargain’ and the real fun is how you reveal them to her.

chakaping
    Free Member

the real fun is how you reveal them to her.

Haha, I’ve got a mental pic of you and your missus at a fancy restaurant.

“So what was it you wanted to tell me then darling?”

bland

I gave up on secrets a long time ago, i prefer the “how much to get married, right im having a plastic road bike then!” approach

stuey
    Free Member

– yeah – we clasp hands across a candle lit table – I gush about speed sensitive damping and well it just goes from there.

sq225917
    Free Member

None of them are ‘secret’, not in the strictest sense of the word, she knows they all exist and that they each have their own names and specific jobs.

What she doesn’t know is that all of them are in a constant state of expensive, improvement flux.

emac65
    Free Member

I wear the pants in our house so if I want a new bike I go out & buy a new bike.Non of this poncy hiding them from her,we’re men ffs, act like it ! 🙄

TBH,money is not a huge issue in our house,not that we’re rolling it in it(not by a long shot ! )but neither of us put that much importance on it.If one of us wants something & we can afford it then we’ll buy it without feeling the need to ask each other first.She knows I wouldn’t buy anything unless I knew we could afford it & I know the same of her.

emac65
    Free Member

Dunno why it posted twice,but it’s handy having an edit option 😯

crazy-legs

I live on my own and I’m fairly sure there’s no bikes hiding secretly in my house…!
    To be fair, my Mum long ago gave up on counting how many bikes I’ve got, none of them are secrets from her but she doesn’t know anything about them (it’s only with great difficulty that my Mother can tell the difference between a road bike and a mountain bike. Bless).

Dibbs
    Free Member

My wife hasn’t noticed my my Whyte 19 Ti, its just another silver bike to her.

Junkyard
    Free Member

just building mine in the back garden whilst she is in the front garden…kept in the trailer but will declare it next week when I rid myself of another bike… I am only allowed three and she can count.. a reasonable rule I think or else I would end up like you lot and have about 12.
    They all come cheap from STW where rich people give them away for nothing in the same way that her shoes are second hand or been owned for ages we know but we turn a blind eye.

Chevin
    Free Member

I have a customer who buys a new Marin Mt Vision every 12 months or so. He’s told his wife he’s a test rider for Marin!

Matthew

Harry_the_Spider

Haven’t got a secret bike, but I have got one made up of “bits in the shed”… and quite a lot of secret bits that were in the LBS.

Shandy
    Free Member

You keep secrets from your partner?

Great relationship

I don’t know where to start with that comment. What would you know?? Is it any of your business?? Why do you have to be self righteous about something that has obviously been posted for a laugh?? Or just a plain and simple MTFU??!!

I’ve no complete bikes although I have one that is in pieces. I’m trying to keep myself to 3 bikes. Some things women need to know and some things they don’t.

Drac

Nope, why would I not tell my wife when I’m buying something?

scaredypants

He’s told his wife he’s a test rider for Marin!

is he angling for a divorce ?

scaredypants

I managed to build a bike for my daughter mostly out of leftovers from a bike I bought just for the frame – impressed my wife (she thought the spares were part of some sacrosanct shrine to my bikes)

she even takes her mates on tours of MY garage sometimes when they complain about their other halves (I’ve threatened her with me giving the lads a tour of her shoe lair & knicker drawer in retaliation but, as she so rightly says, they’ve all seen the best stuff already 😉 )

auricgoldfinger

Not so much a secret, but she is constantly surprised at what she finds in my bit of the shed. Despite having two herself, she still gets the red one mixed up with the yellow one and the new one…..Now she has given up and doesn’t really pay much attention when ‘another one’ turns up. FWIW I don’t remember the last time she mentioned anything about the cost either.

takisawa2

Mine all get re-painted in black.
    She doesn’t notice them then.
    She liked the Pace 303 though, she actually came out to have a closer look & said how good it looked.

Badger
    Free Member

I used to try the old “What that? … Oh I’ve had that ages” routine but it never really worked.

I did buy a set of new forks once with the major selection criteria bing that they were also black (as the current ones on the bike were) so that she’d no know…. how I expected her not to notice the old pair kicking around the shed I don’t know.

My last increase in bike numbers (remember the ideal number of bikes is n+1 where n= current number owned) I even used the old “its a small frame so you can ride it as well” which being a fully rigid SS was perhaps a bit mean – although I the old forks kicking round the shed now have a home and I am sorting out gears for her to use on it over the summer!

clubber
    Free Member

i used to work with a guy who had 40+ bikes but his wife thought he had two 🙂

sc-xc

i used to work with a guy who had 40+ bikes

I worked with a guy that subscribed to 40+

clubber
    Free Member

this guy probably did that too. Actually the funny thing was that he was a bike collector but hardly rode. One day he rode to work after we finally persuaded him to ride the 8 miles. He had to leave work at midday and catch the tube home as he was so tired… 🙂

mrfrosty
    Free Member

I had a secret bike (yeti ti) was building it up slowly and the day finished building it brought it home the day she moved out ! lol double bonus

clubber
    Free Member

were the two incidents connected?

ash500
    Free Member

No secret bikes here – but I have managed to convince my wife that buying a Jones is a good idea – a major coup I think 🙂 – now I just have to convince myself LOL

sharki
    Free Member

I’ve got one that’s been kept a secret from me…..gawd knows where it is………..

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Sharki – I don’t have it, honest.

sherry
    Free Member

Not got any secret bikes, though I have tried to get new bikes by saying my bikes are too heavy and I’m getting older and my back hurts routine (I’m 34). I did swap frames once thinking she wouldn’t notice and she did, I was impressed!

Epic
    Free Member

I used to share a 1st floor flat in Wolverhampton with the ex. I kept one road bike and one mountain bike there. And another mountain bike and road bike at my mother’s. My ex never knew about what i kept at Mum’s, and my mum never knew what I lept in Wolverhampton.

I also kept a large and secret amount of money in my paypal account, made from some ebay wheeling and dealing that the ex never knew about 🙂

Anyone else got a secret Paypal stash ?

mrfrosty
    Free Member

clubber: were the two incidents connected?. No is the answer ! what a happy summer that was !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I know a fellow biker who is a member of strathclydes finest constabulary. Works with a bloke who had a Kona full susser his wife didn’t know about. He used to tell her he was going in to work overtime, kept his bike at the station, and he’d go out and ride instead!!.

His name was Nick, for anyone that may know him.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘‘Secret’ bikes – who’s got one?’ is closed to new replies.