Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Secrecy life of cats BBC2 now
  • binners

Have you ever tried washing a cat? An angry cat could rip a T-rex’s face off, never mind a toddler!

A very valid point zokes. To be honest I’d class trying to wash a cat as an absolute suicide mission!! Unless there was a jetwasher involved

zokes
    Free Member

Australia doesn’t have any indigenous cats??? so the imported ones are causing havoc,

You are indeed correct – “episode” avoided

that isnt the case in the UK

And then you went downhill…. How long have ‘native’ domestic cats been in the UK? 😉

They’d be a lot less huntery (nice word – I’ll try to make it get into general usage) if they weren’t allowed out to hunt in the first place.

organic355
    Free Member

Forget the birds, nobody mentioned the poor ickle bunny wabbits

Frankie’s latest gift for us:

Pigface
    Free Member

Neither does the UK.

errrrr Scottish wild cat??? Australia is the only continent that does not have any cats at all?

bigyinn
    Free Member

mattjg – Member

Australia doesn’t have any indigenous cats?

Neither does the UK.
    Im pretty sure there are wildcats in Scotland i.e not feral or descended from domestic stock.
    Ha just found this

Although wildcats look similar to domestic cats, these are no feral or farm cats run wild; they’re Britain’s only remaining large wild predator and have walked this land for millions of years before mankind arrived or domestic cats appeared.

Also this, relating to the proposed reintroduction of the Lynx to the UK.

“The Eurasian lynx, an original native of the British Isles, is a medium sized cat that has been forced out of much of Western Europe by habitat destruction and human persecution over the last 2000 years. The last of the British lynx disappeared around the year 500. “

piemonster

And then you went downhill…. How long have ‘native’ domestic cats been in the UK?

9000 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat#Origins

edit: doh, how did I miss the domestic bit. Dumbass.

tomhoward

Have you ever tried washing a cat? An angry cat could rip a T-rex’s face off, never mind a toddler!

A very valid point zokes. To be honest I’d class trying to wash a cat as an absolute suicide mission!! Unless there was a jetwasher involved

I’m reliably informed (by this very website) that as long as you are wearing a bike helmet and deploy an emergency union jack, you will be fine.

Pigface
    Free Member

Zokes I would say that “domesticated cats ” have been living with/ interacting with humans for 1000’s of years. Ahh see above post for more reliable facts 😀 you could show humility and admit that in this instance you may be wrong 😉 😉 😉

There was a fact on the show last night that stated that there is a 4 week window for kittens to get used to humans, if they dont have interaction in this window they go “feral” not sure how true that is but interesting.

piemonster

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/apr/18/scottish-wildcat-endangered-species

“Wildcats disappeared in lowland England around 1800,” says Hetherington. “Then they vanished from Wales and northern England around 1860. Finally, they went from southern Scotland. All we have left is a few hundred around the Cairngorms and places like the Black Isle. The trick now is to find a way to stop them from disappearing completely.”

mattjg
    Free Member

@bigyinn you’re right, I forgot about the Scottish wild cat. I did read an article recently that suggested they’re extinct in the wild as a pure breed though, pretty sad.

I didn’t see any Scottish Wilds in Shamley Green though.

piemonster

I’ll try again http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/pets/cats.shtml

The Romans, what have they ever done for us.

mogrim

According to wikipedia wildcats came to the British Isles 9000 years ago. So they’re not indigenous, either.

mattjg
    Free Member

Ironically cross breeding with ferals and domestics is the biggest threat to the Scottish Wild, I believe.

Pigface
    Free Member

According to wikipedia wildcats came to the British Isles 9000 years ago. So they’re not indigenous, either.

Whats the cut off point then? By that reckoning none of us are English Welsh or Scottish 😆

piemonster

Small matter of an Ice Age means not much is.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect they’d bring back more prey if it was available

Well in the programme, the cats didn’t spend much time hunting anyway, so that seems unlikely. They just weren’t that bothered.

wallop

I think Australia needs to focus more on its camel problem before moaning about cats.

zokes
    Free Member

you could show humility and admit that in this instance you may be wrong

Humility being shown 😳

Not that I care, I’m just about to go for a night out… Enjoy your days at work northern hemispherians 😆

zokes
    Free Member

wallop – Member
    I think Australia needs to focus more on its camel problem before moaning about cats.
    POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST

Judging by the number of dead stinking ones where were were in the outback last weekend, someone is…

globalti
    Free Member

For the few who haven’t seen it already, this is good:

mattjg
    Free Member

Well in the programme, the cats didn’t spend much time hunting anyway, so that seems unlikely. They just weren’t that bothered.

If my cat’s outdoors, he’s hunting. If he’s not actively chasing prey it’s because there isn’t any. He may get distracted, eg by a confrontation with another cat or by a female, but hunting is the default mode.

mogrim

Whats the cut off point then? By that reckoning none of us are English Welsh or Scottish

🙂

Dunno what the cutoff point is, but I reckon after 2000 years the domestic cat should be considered indigenous.

molgrips
    Free Member

Indigenous I think means part of the post-ice age repopulation of the British Isles. So I suppose technically us.

If my cat’s outdoors, he’s hunting.

Well if the show had one main point it was that cats aren’t all alike.

mattjg
    Free Member

Chuckling at the image of the mice and birds coming out for a scamper because the cat’s on a break.

I suspect a lot of people, especially the “my fluffy Tiddles wouldn’t hurt a fly” brigade haven’t clocked on to what fearsome predators they are. Almost all of cats I’d bet.

piemonster

To be fair, I’d wager most cat owners are aware of the predatory nature of their pets.

I might be wrong of course. I’ve just never met a cat owner that’s come out with “he/she would never hurt a fly”

It doesn’t take many maimed mice dropped on the kitchen floor for the human to play with to figure it out.

mattjg
    Free Member

They’d soon be fully aware if they were 3 inches tall. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Almost all of cats I’d bet.

Did you watch the show?

And the ‘wouldn’t hurt a fly’ brigade are dog owners generally.

RustySpanner

Did you watch the show?

He’s watched half of it.
    The half that didn’t deal with hunting 😀

TBH, I was quite surprised at the small amount of hunting taking place – however I was amazed at the way cats are adopting to the increasing level of ownership & urbanisation.

Good programme.

missnotax
    Free Member

I enjoyed the programme. My cat was out for most of it, and when she came back in spent most of her time looking behind the TV for all the *other cats*. Clearly not the brightest….

mattjg
    Free Member

Gotta love STW.

I watched half last night, will probably watch the rest tonight. And I watched my cat for the last 6 years. I doubt he’s atypical.

back2basics
    Free Member

I had 2 cats that lived together from birth, but then when one died, the other would not accept a new one, so that one had to be rehomed,
    so the six in one house was impressive.
    would have liked to have seen more research/shown in the program, about that other that a few sentences,
    was it down to owners?
    was it down to food?
    were they all kittens when growing up?
    is it rare? common? etc
    they seemed to be mixed gender too.

RustySpanner

mattjg – Member

Gotta love STW.

I was really surprised by the findings myself! 🙂

Must admit the hunting behaviour of the cats I’ve had over the years has varied massively:

The most aggressive was a cat born feral, which we adopted as a kitten because it had been rejected – the runt of the litter basically.
    Although small, it used to have a go at Magpies, rats bigger than he was, next door’s Westie (who he bullied unmercifully for years) rabbits, all sorts basically.

The current mog just can’t be arsed – she’s brought us a couple of birds and one mouse in the past five years.

mattjg
    Free Member

Our cat selected us for his new home when he was 1, would be fascinating to have known what happened in his first year. Also he’s French, perhaps he hasn’t clocked on that British cats call a ceasefire for tiffin.

RustySpanner

French?

Are you SURE it’s a cat?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

” my understand is cats are territorial, each defending their own patch. So how do urban feral cats, that I have seen living in large groups, deal with this?”

I used to believe this myth too, that cats were solitary. We have 4 cats. We started with one that had been abandoned by the bloke up the road when he decided to ‘backpack round Europe’ leaving his pets behind with no food. We soon found our new cat liked having a best friend and they would spend hours sat in the garden together.

Later he found a new best friend (a tabby) and they were so insistent on being together they defeated us and the orig owner of the tabby so then we had 2 cats here.

Then a cat that used to live with the tabby made life so difficult for the humans because he missed the cat that had moved here, that we ended up with 3 cats. These 3 spend nearly all their time together or nearish each other, often grooming each other or cuddled up. Sitting ‘in the vacinity of’ each other also seems a big deal to cats. None of my sample 3 are related and all are castrated males.

The determination to be with other cats they are friends with is staggering. They would go without food and sit out in the pooring rain in order to peer through the door or windows to try to be with each other. It was both pitiful and impressive. I found it quite shocking in a way as I had not expected such affection and loyalty from cats towards each other, as its not the press they are given.

Our 4th cat was a starving stray and not ‘chosen’ by the other 3. He gets on OK with them but its clear they just do not view him in the same close or affectionate manner as they do each other.

Some friends had a similar problem with 2 other cats who moved hell and high water to live in the same house together, so I think cat bonding may be very common.

I read a behaviour book that cats in large feral groups tend to group only because a large food supply – they are there because of the food availability and for no other reason. I would now say that is possibly incorrect and that cats are inclined to group (though perhaps would choose to be in smaller groups) by disposition but are usually unable to form such groups because there is not enough food to permit a density of cats or because humans intervene and hinder living choices.

I also now think when cats appear to not get on with other cats its sometimes just because they, like humans, seek out particular friends they select for themselves and just any old cat passing by is not acceptable to hang around with. This feeds into the territory thing as humans won’t just have any human passing by in to the living room for a sit and a chat, but are quite happy to have close friends do so and cats take a similar view of who is allowed where.

I think (from my own observations) breeding territory may possibly be a separate issue and that breeding territories and size might vary by time of year, as in the UK cat breeding season is not all year round but dictated they the amount of daylight hours – cat hormones such as testosterone plummet in winter and increase as the daylight hours extend in spring.

Oh and for the kill issue, with 4 cats, 3 of whom are young and could hunt with ease, we get maybe 6 kills per year brought home total, but there are always biscuits down so the hunger factor is removed, so they only hunt for entertainment, which they don’t seem to do very much of.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve heard before they’re happy to hang out together, but tend to hunt alone.

Possibly the humans in households fill in the roles, in the cat’s view, that your cats do for each other. Certainly if we’re in the garden our cat will usually come and settle down very near or with us.

Don’t know how cats in groups resolve the territorial issue.

organic355
    Free Member

Have you seen the gps device is available soon on amazon?

G-Paws GPS Data Recorder

looks happy about wearing it?

natrix
    Free Member

All that CCTV and cat cameras, but they didn’t manage to film a single cat pooping in a neighbours garden. Proof that cats are getting a lot of flack for something that is probably due to foxes, hedgehogs and other wild animals……….

mattjg
    Free Member

The GPS wotsit: my cat regularly dumps collars that we don’t recover, at fifty quid a pop that would quickly add up!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Secrecy life of cats BBC2 now’ is closed to new replies.