Viewing 10 posts - 161 through 170 (of 170 total)
  • Secondary School – detentions
  • pondo

My point, lost though that cause would seem to be, was that children should be taught to challenge where they see something wrong, how to challenge effectively and how to accept that same challenge themselves. It’s not about telling anyone how to do their job or thinking you know better, it’s about having the confidence to question something and not just blindly following someone with authority.

I totally endorse that, and I think, if I’d been in that circumstance (the 1/2 vs 0.5 thing) when I was at school, I would have queried it and it would have been clarified. But as time goes on, it seems (and , of course, this is all anecdotal) that there is less and less time to actually deliver that kind of collaborative, almost heuristic approach – the pressures teachers are under seem immense; the course material itself seems to change yearly, so there are annual pressures for teachers not only to have to learn new content but also prep how to teach it to others. On top of that, the landscape seems ever-changing (that collaborative approach becomes less valued because putting that time into one child is to the detriment of the rest, and you are now seemingly judged almost solely on the difference you can make from your classes’ predicted grades to what they actually achieve – but those predicted grades are based on a primary that feels similarly pressured to produce predictions as high (some may say unrealistically high) as they can get away with), with an emphasis almost on identifying which pupils you are likely to get the required grade for and focusing on that to the detriment of pupils who are less likely to get the grades they need. It’s stupid (it seems to me from the outside) and not one teacher went into it to do that, but it seems that’s how the industry is going. There’s just no time to do anything but maximise the results you can get out of the class – the results are all that matter, there’s no space for owt else.

Caveat – the ramblings of a half-cut teacher’s husband, not a teacher himself.

vazaha

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

RWB by any chance theotherjonv?

theotherjonv

RWB?

poah
    Free Member

No detention in scottish schools and It’s somthing I wouldn’t agree to for my kids either.   Frankly I’m pretty surprised that a school can detain a child without gaining the permission of the parent first or letting them know.

theotherjonv

Frankly I’m pretty surprised that a school can detain a child without gaining the permission of the parent first

as covered elsewhere, we signed up to it as part of the school-parent-student contract., for a limited period on the day.  Longer periods, are ‘by arrangement’

If you wouldn’t agree to it for your kids, what do you support as sanction for poor behaviour?

onehundredthidiot

Posh, sorry fella there are detentions in Scottish schools 24hrs notice should be given if after hours.

poah
    Free Member

If you wouldn’t agree to it for your kids, what do you support as sanction for poor behaviour?

That depends on the child.  Some are just plain wee shites and nothing will stop their poor behaviour.  I got punsihments all the time at school and it didn’t stop me from not doing my homework.  A lot of it is down to the parents.  Thankfully the kids of mine at school are well behavied and don’t end up punished.  But also the schools they go to don’t punish you for forgetting your gym kit either.

Cougar

To state that you can correct a teacher on their work seems pretty entitled to me

No, I’m with Squirrelking on this I think.

The kid was penalised for using incorrect notation when the same incorrect notation was used on the previous question.  That’s blatantly unfair.  I see no harm in feeding this back to the school – it gives them the opportunity to correct the paper before using it again with other classes.  That’s a world apart from going Full Gammon at the school and telling them how to do their jobs.  Teaching kids to challenge injustice in a diplomatic manner seems like a noble thing to do, n’est-ce pas?

To my mind, the correct and just thing to do in this instance would have been for the teacher to credit the kid with the mark but explain why it was technically wrong for future reference and warn that it’d be marked as incorrect next time.

Cougar

As to the OP’s question,

I have no issues with detention as a punishment.  After-school detention with no prior warning however seems like an outrageous concept to me.  There could be all manner of prior commitments outside of school either for the kid or the parents.

Viewing 10 posts - 161 through 170 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Secondary School – detentions’ is closed to new replies.