Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Second small ‘fun’ car….fiesta st?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Our old focus is probably going to need replacing in the next year. We have a family car which does most of the mileage, but do need a second car for work / nursery pickups. Economy not so much of a issue as prob less than 4K miles per year. Would like it so we could fit the kids seats in if we have to, plus ability to put seats down and fit a bike inside when I get the chance to have a break from the family. Needs to be nice inside and a bit of fun to drive,

So what small car, fiesta st seems to win all the reviews, but it’s another ford…the focus feels cheap inside…(diesel 08 zetec) want something that is nicer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did you watch top gear ?

DT78
    Free Member

Yes, that’s why I’m on autotrader now. Oh and second hand say 3yrs 10~12k ish budget

LMT
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t, the theft rate is high on those, Ford take no responsibility that there cars can be gone in 60 seconds…

TiRed

Renaultsport 133 Twingo. If you can find a good one. Top Gear loved it. So do I. And it takes anime withjust the front wheel off.

mashr

If it’s a big bike you might struggle, it’s not a great boot (including with the seats down). Similarly if they are big kiddie seats you might not be able to get them passed the fairly small opening that you get when the front seats are folded forward.

It’s a very good car though. Economy should be just over 40mpg. Lots of low and mid grunt. Brakes are ok. Steering is ok-ish, but it’s electric so never going to be as good as old stuff. Had mine 3 years and never had to do anything beyond servicing and getting rid of the crap tyres it came with. EDIT: also the seats are a bit crap. Loads of support, but just not very comfy on long runs.

However, if I was buying a toy hit hatch for a few thousand miles a year. I’d likely go back to a Clio 182, or maybe 197/200 with their prices dropping now.

parkesie
    Free Member

Pug 208 looks a laugh

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a Peugeot 208 GTI and love it. Our choice was between it and a Fiesta ST but the Peugeot is much nicer inside. It’s more modern and luxurious and the drive is almost as good as the ST. The grip is pretty mad for a car of this size and it’s very engaging to drive.

I need to sell it sadly, I will really miss it ☹️

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Honda Civic Type R. Just go the full hog.

EDIT: Or a bit less crazy/more sensible, VW Polo GTI.

phil5556

We’ve got a Polo GTi. I love it, it’s not as mad as the Fiesta but it’s a very nice little thing. We’ve got the 1.8, the earlier 1.4s have a few engine issues.

I never drove a Fiesta to compare but just couldn’t look past the awful interior.

Bullet

I have a Fiesta ST (changing for a Leon CUPRA in two weeks) which I have run for five years from new. Really good fun to drive, can get a bike in the boot with the seats down, no reliability issues (make sure the cooling system recall work has been done though, depending on year) but… The ride is REALLY stiff. Awesome on smooth roads but very wearing after a while particularly on bad side roads. If the bulk of your driving will be in town think carefully. Still worth a test drive though.

submarined
    Free Member

How old are you willing to go? You could easily get an Integra DC2 or DC5 for that. Whilst not the lap of luxury (the 2 is very 90s JDM, the 5 is a fair bit more up to date) the drive will both physically and metaphorically run rings around pretty much anything mentioned so far.
    They will hold their value if looked after, are incredibly reliable (Rust on unprotected ones is the only real issue) and are impressively large inside.
    And the engines are wonderful. The B18 in the DC2 especially is an absolute masterpiece.
    Wonderful, wonderful things, the like of which we aren’t likely to see again.

mashr

The ride is REALLY stiff

Seconded.

Jason
    Free Member

I would also suggest the Peugeot 208Gti, my wife had one on a lease deal for 2.5 years. A really fun car that was great to drive. Surprisingly roomy in the back. The one we had is now up for sale on AutoTrader https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812183353971 We handed it back December last year, and it was in excellent condition – sad to see it go really.

We have replaced the Peugeot with a Kia Pro’Ceed GT, which is a fairly similar car. Between the two the Peugeot is the more engaging drive with much sharper handling. Both cars seem to cope with UK roads well. Prior to the Peugeot we had a Mini Clubman Cooper S which was awful on anything but a smooth road.

bowglie

We had one for a year, and I loved the way it drove and looked…but – getting a bike in the back was a right PIA, as the back seats don’t fold flat, and the three door body got on my pip more than I expected. (and I wasn’t putting kids in child seats) The ride on the Mk7 ST’s is pretty harsh for UK roads too, but if you’re not doing long journeys, it’s probable well tolerable.

If you want a decent Fiesta alternative, I think you can get late Mk7 S-line 140bhp in the five door body, slightly more compliant suspension, but I’ve driven one and felt it cornered better than the ST on ‘normal’ uk road surfaces.  The S-line has the same power to weight as a Pug 205 Gti and it felt great – you can also get an official Ford tuning kit to up the BHPa bit too ((£300 FWIR)

or, you could get an older Golf Gti – go on, ya know it makes sense😁

johndoh
    Free Member

The Pug could be the best car in the world but I wouldn’t buy one – it looks pig-ugly.

rocketman
    Free Member

3 year old ST is an uncompromising go kart that merely tolerates speeds below 50 mph

You’re strapped into a supportive but unyielding seat and the weight of your shoe on the accelerator is enough to send it surging forwards. Everything about it encourages you to go faster.

If this sounds like your kind of car you’ll love it but otherwise have a look at the other Fiestas.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

VW UP?
    The Tsi version is a few years old now so you’d get a great one for little money, even less now the Gti version is out.
    You can get a bike in the boot with the wheels off and seats down.
    It’s a proper city car, but with the turbo it’s fine for long distances and motorway use.
    Gti model is great fun but very stiff, and unforgiving on potholed roads.
    Cheap, fun, good VW quality, but could be a tight squeeze for a 29er in the back.

cokie

As above, it’s a fantastic car and get’s all the praise for best small hot hatch.
    Great engine, gearbox and handling. ST3 has lots of toys and are good value.
    If you don’t need the space, I can’t think of a better car out there for this price bracket.
    I’ve PM’d you too.

howdoo
    Free Member

As mentioned above Honda DC5 great car or a Renault Megane R26 (marmite looks)

mashr

Renault Megane R26 (marmite looks)

plus questionable reliability and some sizeable bills for parts

submarined
    Free Member

Yup. I’ve had a Renault Sport. I’ve had an Integra type R. The RS was great to drive, and the French really know how to make a hot hatch ride well, but from my limited sphere of experience, theres no way I’d be recommending an RS over a Honda R to anyone unless that person had shat on my carpet.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I looked at an ST the other day…went for a test ride in a mate’s one. Awesome drive but rock solid suspension and I was worried it might be a tad small (I was going to keep my 325i Touring until I got a van).

But I’m about to go ahead for a new Leon Cupra ST 4drive. Huge discount putting it in the frame. Was first car I considered way back when I started looking. This one seems to have (literally) all options ticked! Will sell my Beemer and probs get a berlingo next year to do the surf and bike duties but in the meantime I’ll have one hell of a quick bike/surfwagon. Won’t be quite as go kart like as the FiST!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

We had an ST3 on a ’65 plate too and I’d echo all the above comments, it’s a mega car to drive quickly on a twisting road, but in reality there’s not many of those round here and always full of other cars. It’s uncomfortable on long runs due to the seats and harsh suspension. The SatNav is also impossible to use and buttons on the dash are all over the place with no logical explanation.

You can get a 29’er in the boot however, just.

sarawak
    Free Member

We have a Fiesta. It’s a work car. Interior is dull. Ride is harsh. Handling is Ok, but it’s uncomfortable on a longish drive – we use the Mazda CX-3 if we go more than 15 miles. Boot is tiny and I’ve never even thought it would hold a bike.
    There are better cars for what you want.

matt_outandabout

4k miles a year – why replace the Focus?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Mrs Squad owned a Honda type r which felt like it had no suspension, then sold it to buy her ST (which feels like it has no suspension).
    It’s chipped so it’s quite quick and she absolutely loves it.
    On the other hand, I don’t because the seats are hideously uncomfortable and it’s a drag on long journeys.
    Horses for courses I’d say.

bigfoot
    Free Member

And the engines are wonderful. The B18 in the DC2 especially is an absolute masterpiece.
    Wonderful, wonderful things, the like of which we aren’t likely to see again.

having owned one for a few years and often wishing i still had it, weould you get a bike in it?
    rear strut brace would of made it impossible in mine and think it would of still been hard to do if it was removed. superb engine and superb car for a fun drive and a good one is probably going up in value now.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Probably not approved by anyone on here but I loved my audi a3 tsi. 12k will get you a 2.0tsi circa 2014 which comes with 200bhp and amazing build quality.

johndoh
    Free Member

And eye-watering bills when it goes wrong.

djglover
    Free Member

I just got a 2008 mk5 GTI for this purpose. Took a while to find a mint one, but it’s as good on the school or shopping run as it is on the B roads. I’ve had a few fast cars, 330i, 135i, 2 older GTIs and this is one of the best.

Golf GTI

mashr

That’s a barge compared to a Fiesta though 😉

TheFlyingOx

Currently in a EP3 Civic Type R. If you’re after a fun small car you’ll be very hard-pressed to beat one of these. Absolutely bonkers 8250rpm red line, actually does drive like a go-kart. Harsh ride and woeful turning circle though. I love it. FN2 might be a better bet if you fancy a bit of refinement.

oldnpastit

Mazda MX5, FTW!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Second small ‘fun’ car….fiesta st?’ is closed to new replies.