Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Second keyboard to sit above a digital piano
  • AlexSimon

Hi all

We got my son a digital piano a couple of years ago (to replace an upright we no longer had room for) and he’s really flying with it. It’s a Casio Privia PX-150 which I highly recommend.

I think he could do with a keyboard to go alongside it. Something that has more sounds, a sequencer, etc. The connected iPad hasn’t really achieved what he wanted.

However, I really don’t know what I’m doing, or how they can work together.

Looking at some websites, it seems there are ‘workstation’ and ‘arranger’ keyboards, but most seem to be in the £1000 bracket and I just don’t know how to sift through the options.

Sooooooo – is there an option in the £300 second hand bracket?

And, what will it enable him to do and what limitations will it have vs something like the Roland FA 06?

Help!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Make sure you get him a cape as well!

scuttler

Make sure you get him a cape as well!

Megalolz. Was personally gonna suggest something a little more ‘involved’ requiring at least a 4-way adapter.

AlexSimon

His hair is longer than Rick’s 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😁

AlexSimon

Don’t tell me I’ve found a subject that STW aren’t experts on!
    Or are they all still in bed after a gig last night?

plumber
    Free Member

quick plug and play – novation mininova

more useful – beatstep pro into ipad – a million permutations right there

often the case with all things keyboard/midi/ipad is driver era/misunderstanding

Happy to help further if you know what you want to do – I can’t conceive of running out of things to do with a midi keyboard and garageband on ipad – let alone something like korg electribe or gadget 2

Jakester
    Free Member

I’ve recently been using Mainstage with a MIDI controller which has a pretty broad range of keyboard instruments. Any controller keyboard is fine with it.

What sounds in particular is he looking for?

AlexSimon

I don’t really know why he hasn’t taken to the iPad, but he just doesn’t see it as an instrument in the same way as the piano is.
    I’ll try and dig a bit deeper.

The more I look at it, something like the Roland FA-06 or previous generation Fantom series looks more like what he’ll get the most from.
    There’s also the Korg Kross 2 which is a bit cheaper, but looks to have a less useful screen.

grum
    Free Member

MicroKorg is a lot of fun with a big sound (and a vocoder!)

grum
    Free Member

Or this being STW he should have a real analogue synth so get a Microbrute

https://www.arturia.com/microbrute/overview

locum76
    Free Member

Does his piano have midi compatibility? If yes maybe get him something like a Novation Circuit which is a drum machine, sequencer, two synths and basic effects in one ‘groove box’. He wont need a second keyboard but the circuit would give basic composition ability and synthesis possibilities. The Circuit can sequence the piano and the piano can be used to play the synths on the Circuit. FTW!

https://novationmusic.com/circuit/circuit

AlexSimon

It has USB MIDI, yes

locum76
    Free Member

With only USB midi you’d maybe need something like a Kenton Midi through box to connect to a lot of synths out there. You’d need that for the Circuit.

Jakester
    Free Member

I would second plumber’s suggestion – get a cable to connect to the iPad and use a controller keyboard, and then use the iPad as a sound source/module using various apps/virtual instruments. There’s masses out there – even Garageband is pretty good, and it’s a relatively cheap way to experiment with hundreds of different instruments/sounds.

Jakester
    Free Member

That said, a quick search for something else yielded this:

https://www.alesis.com/vx

It looks like a controller keyboard that you can load with VSTs, so you don’t need a sound source, just load them on. Fits right into your price range too.

AlexSimon

I just don’t know. There’s some reason why Garageband/iPad/current keyboard hasn’t appealed to him so far.

locum76
    Free Member

The interface on any tablet is never as good as playing a real instrument or dedicated groovebox or whatever. That’s most likely the reason. It’s good to touch and feel your instrument (no sniggering at the back please).

maccruiskeen

darthpunk
    Free Member

Look at Behringer, they’re making clones of old Roland and Arp gear with good reviews.

The one doing the rounds at the moment is the Korg Minilogue XD, a bit more expensive at around £500 but it would tick your boxes and is more about knob twiddling synthesis rather than “hit button, sound like trumpet”

edhornby

the minikorg you may find more on the usual 2nd hand than the others, it’s been popular. I’d agree about having the filters etc at your hand because it’s more intuitive to learn rather than ipad.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Music Matter are doing the original Korg Minilogue for £418.
    But there’s just one left…
    I have one and it’s excellent.

plumber
    Free Member

I have spent an inordinate amount of time scrolling through menus with a piss poor operating system that’s implemented differently to everything else. With no back up from the manufacturer

Actually scratch that get him a DX7

doris5000

feel like we need a bit more info here.

What makes you think your son needs a 2nd keyboard?

How old is the son?

Where do his musical interests lie at the minute (both in terms of music he likes, and what he likes to do when he sits down at the piano)?

Things like Minilogues and ARP clones are all very well – i’ve got a couple – but they are very specific things and if someone isn’t interested in synthesis in the first place they might not find them all that engaging.

AlexSimon

He plays Jazz, game soundtracks and theme tunes.
    He’s 16.
    Mostly when he sits at the piano, he goes through his repertoire of tunes, trying to add layers to the ones he knows well.

I don’t think he would be interested in twiddling knobs. I think he’d like it if the sounds matched the originals closer, and if he could add tracks/loops to play over.

I don’t think he necessarily needs a second keyboard, but I assumed it could be used as a keyboard for a cheaper device.

For example, if I swapped his current one for a Roland FA-08, I think he’d be over the moon.

AlexSimon

That should have read – I assumed his current piano could be used as a keyboard for a cheaper device

plumber
    Free Member

there seem to be at least 2 factors at play here

more sounds
    sequencer

more than amply covered by your ipad

I suspect a dig into youtube – this guy in particular will help

https://www.youtube.com/user/thesoundtestroom

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Lesson 1) The Stance
    https://douglasharr.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/rickjourney2.jpg

seadog101

As already mentioned, the Korg Minilogues are awesome. An excellent way to get to grips with all that is essential in synthology.

AlexSimon

Well, I forced him to sit down with the iPad yesterday and he had a great time – 4 hours of playing straight!
    We’ll see if it lasts. The only sound he couldn’t find was one for a bass line to DJ Shadow’s Organ Donor – it’s very raspy – almost like a kazoo!

plumber
    Free Member

That’s an organ down an octave

not quite in bass register so sound a bit strange – perhaps try a bit of drive on the organ sound too

doris5000

yeah I always thought that just sounds like an organ through a guitar amp! Try the amp / pedal simulators on Garageband 🙂

Good news on the iPad development. So was he using the sounds off that to jam along with tracks he knows?

Some posts assume he wants to get techy and produce music. But if he just enjoys the act of playing then there’s no reason to think he wants to learn about oscillators, or even necessarily write tunes – so it’s good he’s getting a bit into Garageband, as there’s a lot of scope to just jam around. Sounds like a Minilogue (etc) would be a bit of a big step, for now. And if he does get more into trying to recreate sounds from records, the synths on it are not a bad place to start.

Perhaps it’d also be worth finding some other musicians to play with? You want to drive him and a keyboard around to people’s houses twice a week, right? 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Second keyboard to sit above a digital piano’ is closed to new replies.