• This topic has 55 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by croe.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Second hand cars, is it me, or are they expensive?
  • ampthill

Interesting that diesels are on average not lasting a long as petrol. That’ll be the exploding turbo or dual mass fly wheel bill. Some bias for petrol cars being bought for lower mileage applications of course.

We had an 05 diesel scenic. Did the turbo and EGR gave up when the clutch went 2 years ago

Same age but lower mileage Kia picanta. One track rod and a sensor moving near the fan belt and that’s it other than consumables in 14 years

5lab

I think petrol and diesel cars last just as long – it’s just that in the last 5 or so years lots of diesels (and fewer petrol) were sold, increasing the average fleet age of petrol on the road and decreasing the age of diesels. I bet if you looked at electric, the average age would be something like 2 years.

Cars are more expensive now. In 2005 I bought a 120k mondeo at 6 years old for a grand. In 2013 I bought a 7 year old signum (vectra) with 100k for £1500. I’d now be looking at 3k for similar. I think it’s because :

2008-2012 hardly anyone bought new cars cos we were all broke, so fewer cars new

Same period, the scrappage scheme took out a lot of cars that’d now be providing choice (and lowering prices) at the bottom end of the market

The economy is generally doing pretty well, so folks have more money to spend on cars

Borrowing money has never been cheaper

Inflation. In 2008 (might be off by a year), run-out zafiras were 10k, so no-one would pay more than 6 for a 3 year old model. Now the equivalent new car is 25k, pulling up everything below. Same goes for civic type r (2003 was 16k, now 32), mondeos, you name it

andrewh
    Free Member

RE average diesel being younger than average petrol vehicles. These stats include LGVs and vans just don’t seem to last as long, they’ll do 200k in five years and then be scrapped, whereas a ‘normal’ car would do 50k on that time and still be fine. Generalising obviously, but vans tend to have short, hard lives and these are probably accounting for a lot of the difference

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

Turbos and injection systems are far, far less reliable than they used to be.

My old diesel Omega died at 280,000, still on the originals.
    Original clutch too.
    Brother in law only got rid of his Citroen C15 because there was nothing to weld a new floor to. The engine was fine at well over 200k.
    The pollution from both probably killed more people than Union Carbide, but things were simpler then.

I’m not sure many modern diesels will last that long without new injectors, turbo, dpf etc.

As someone who buys a car and keeps it till it dies, then resurrects it and drives it again, things are not looking particularly hoopy.

Which is why I’ve just spent a third of the price of my first house on the one year old Jazz. Petrol, no turbo, Japanese.

I had high hopes for the previous Doblo, but maintaining an Italian designed car built in Turkey turned into a complete ****’s outing.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Our all but dead Touran (11yrs and 160k on iffy original clutch, needing new turbo and dpf and EGR going again, bits of rust) sold for £1800…!

Does anyone want to buy a slightly not quite fully dead touran?

£2100

joeegg
    Free Member

I think some dealers are becoming too greedy. We were looking at trading in my wifes Suzuki. Forecourt prices for her car at main dealers were £4000/£4500 and we were offered £2000 in part ex for it. When i asked about the big mark up i was told the car would go to auction. Why when you’ve got the same vehicles on your forecourt ? The salesman said people can’t be bothered selling privately and making an extra grand or so.

lllnorrislll
    Free Member

I regularly cycle near to Bruntingthorpe and you see truck load after truck load of 1-3 year old white SUV clones arriving for auction.

This was also reflected when car hunting for both myself and the outlaws, with the current sweet point seeming to be 1-3 year old SUVs, all from the multitude of car supermarkets. In fact the outlaws saved over 10k on list, for a fully loaded Korean SUV at 9 months old.

Great for the outlaws, but needing a small – medium sized petrol second car and a seven seater, again in petrol both used was near impossible to find.

Do wonder what will happen as these SUVs filter down the chain.

5lab

Do wonder what will happen as these SUVs filter down the chain.

given they’re generally considered more desirable than traditional cars, they will retain a price premium and people who like them will be happy. This will continue until bangers are SUVs, at which point the ‘premium’ nature of them will drop, and premium new cars will be some other style (if ownership is still a prospect by then). This happened with MPVs, which were a bit of a status symbol in the 90s..

chestrockwell

I think some dealers are becoming too greedy. We were looking at trading in my wifes Suzuki. Forecourt prices for her car at main dealers were £4000/£4500 and we were offered £2000 in part ex for it. When i asked about the big mark up i was told the car would go to auction. Why when you’ve got the same vehicles on your forecourt ? The salesman said people can’t be bothered selling privately and making an extra grand or so.

Very much this. The PX prices offered these days take the pee. I remember (2012?) being offered between £8.5 to £9k PX for a car I could sell privately for 10k which they would then put on the forecourt for £11.5k.

These days the PX would be around £6/7k from experience. I had a main dealer quote WBAC as a marker FFS. They are relying on people being lazy.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I think you now need to spend 8-12K on a newer low mileage car. I handed back my emissions screwed 64 plate Yeti that had 42k on it after 3.5 years and bought a 2.5 year old 2015 Seat Leon ST FR 184 with 17K on the clock still in warranty for £11k. The balloon payment to buy the Yeti was 11k. A newer non affected diesel with 25k less mileage and warranty. It was a no brainer.

chakaping
    Free Member

My theory is that there are way fewer private sellers and the traders and dealers mark vehicles up in anticipation of people buying on finance and only caring about the size of monthly payments.

Even worse for vans.

JulianA
    Free Member

Try an older Mercedes!

They go on for ever and if you get the right one it will go up in value not down…

Mine has cost me 10k over the last 28 months – purchase, repair and running costs (excluding fuel) and she’s still fabulous at just over thirty years old…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I spent £900 on a SAAB estate a couple of months back. It’s comfortable, gets me from A to B when I need it to, quickly too (250hp) and I can put all the things or people I want in it.

Not really sure what spending £5000 more would have got me?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not really sure what spending £5000 more would have got me?

A considerably less horrid interior and some good handling I’d expect.

JulianA
    Free Member

Not a lot!

croe
    Free Member

My theory is that there are way fewer private sellers and the traders and dealers mark vehicles up in anticipation of people buying on finance and only caring about the size of monthly payments.

I think this is mostly it. You go to a car dealer now and the actual price on the windscreen is second to the monthly cost on a 24-36 month deal. People don’t care what the car costs overall, just what the monthly payments are.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Second hand cars, is it me, or are they expensive?’ is closed to new replies.