Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Second Hand Buying Advice?
  • fathomer

I’m after a bit of advice. I’m seriously considering buy a second hand carbon frame, which is going to be a pretty big expense, though nearly half price for a frame that’s almost a year old.

My question is, will I be better going and picking the frame up (it’s not particularly close) or paying by proper PayPal and having it delivered. Theory being that if it’s not as described I can send it back and claim money back?

If I do pick it up, are there any particular areas to check for cracks etc?

Also, what are people’s experiences with getting frames repaired, as my other concern is the lack of warranty?

Cheers

br
    Free Member

Go collect, if not 100% happy. Walk.

And if you’re collecting it the seller will require cash IMO.

patriotpro
    Free Member

A 2nd hand carbon-frame, it’d have to be CHEAP.

fathomer

b r – Member
    Go collect, if not 100% happy. Walk.

Yeah, this is my gut feeling.

patriotpro – Member

It’s not cheap, but it’s a pretty good price for what it is I think?

kevster
    Free Member

Post some details so we can offer advice?

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you asking whether to buy a secondhand carbon frame or which way to buy it?

If the former – ask yourself if you could afford to write the money off if you did crack it.

If the latter – Whatever suits you best (if PP does cover your ass).

If I do pick it up, are there any particular areas to check for cracks etc?

Tell us what it is and people will probably be able to direct you to the relevant horror stories.

fathomer

It’s a Santa Cruz TRc. I’m not sure what I’m asking, a bit of both I suppose. I think I’m trying to convince myself it’s a good idea, which I’m not sure it is!

butterbean
    Free Member

Why?

Use normal due diligence. It it looks ragged, then approach with caution. Just like if it were made from any other material.

taxi25
    Free Member

Recently bought a s/hand carbon road frame of ebay. Like the op/s it was half price and pretty new. Preffered to pay via paypal. That way I could take my time examining it, if I’d felt unsure I could have shown it to other people for another opinion. Collecting in person and paying cash, I would have been in their house having made a long drive having to make a quick decision. As it happens I have a great frame for a good price.

fathomer

Thanks for the replies, still non the wiser on what to do, might just wait and buy the alu version.

patriotpro
    Free Member

butterbean – Member
    Why?

Basically this;

ask yourself if you could afford to write the money off if you did crack it.

If you (the OP) can afford to write off a £grand on a toy bike-frame then fair does.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Second Hand Buying Advice?’ is closed to new replies.