Seatpost shims and warranties

Home Forum Bike Forum Seatpost shims and warranties

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Seatpost shims and warranties
  • Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

Did the shim come below the min insertion mark?

mcgowan

Of course

mcgowan

guess it 🙂

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Issue is whether the shim went below the junction. Extended seat tube may mean it didn’t.

Scott specifically say warranty it’s void with use of a shim in their carbon frames.

mcgowan

Hi

i broke a frame (seatpost tube)even though I respected the minium insertion of it, as I prove them with photos

This is their reply:

“They have looked over the information you have sent and because you have used a shim the seat tube has not been supported correctly”

Note that the shim is a 4″ USE one

What dou you think???

mcgowan

it is not a extended seat tube, so the shim went below the junction by far

robdob

After my brother cracked his dream Kona Hei Hei frame when he used a shim on his USE seatpost I decided I’d never use one myself (he doesn’t either).
    No seatpost is worth cracking the frame!

DanW

Unfortunately I don’t think many (if any) companies will warranty seat tube damage where a shim has been used. I suspect there is probably quite a variable thickness of shims (poor tolerances) and the seatpost/ seattube contact is less consistent and potentially subject to more bending forces than a seatpost only, even if the shim has a deep insertion. Can’t explain this well but that would be my guess…

mcgowan

and why they don’t say that in the warranty or the owners manual?

DanW

That’s a question to put to the company if it isn’t clear where they state their stance on seatpost shims. Most companies tend to be clear on this.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Seatpost shims and warranties’ is closed to new replies.