Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • SEATPOST RANT!!! Don't buy Token posts!!!
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Bottom line everyone, do not buy the Token carbon seatpost from CRC!! After much effort and help from my lbs, my old post that was seized in the frame eventually agreed to come out. I had ordered the Token one to replace it, got in in a couple of inches to realize it was 27.25 and NOT 27.2!!!! AAAARRRGH!!!! 👿 . So know the lads at the lbs will probably end up breaking the post in the process of getting it out, so that 40 quid or so down the drain and I highly doubt CRC will care at all 🙁 .. even though its an inferior product. Well Ive learnt my lesson to not buy cheap carbon posts now anyway…

ska-49
    Free Member

2/10

dannybgoode

Did the .05mm make that much difference really? I’ve got 27.2mm posts into a 27mm frame seat tube before and whilst it required a bit of force it was doable and repeatable.

Cheers

Danny B

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Not all 27.2 posts are 27.2mm

ThePinkster

If your old post was seized in your frame are you sure there’s not some sort of corrosion inside the seat tube that stopping the new post going in properly?

27.25mm seems a very odd diameter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

27.2 post with a thin layer of carbon wallpaper = 27.25 😉

michaelmcc
    Free Member

If your old post was seized in your frame are you sure there’s not some sort of corrosion inside the seat tube that stopping the new post going in properly?

Yeah there was but pretty sure it was all taken out of there, I’m not the one that did the job but I know the guys in my lbs well and trust them, they said they took loads of gunk and rust out. Its not a huge difference in diameter but still makes a difference!

monkeyboyjc

If the old post was seized then id guess your frame may be the issue – have you actually measured the post with a micrometer?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What did they use to measure the post with? I’d say it was probably 27.2 +/- 0.05…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Have they actually reamed the frame back to 27.2, or just tried to clean it out the oxidation?

patriotpro
    Free Member

I highly doubt CRC will care at all

Aaaaaaand breath. Have you spoke to CRC?

bungalistic
    Free Member

Have you measured both your seat tube and post to make sure they are as described (both 27.2mm) it could be that the frame is wrong or both are just marginally out by a fraction.

I have a Thomson seat post (31.6mm) that fits fine in one frame but is too loose to fully tighten in another frame, both said to have 31.6mm seat tubes.

5thElefant
    Free Member

0.05mm? That won’t make any odds at all. Even if you could measure it accurately.

clubber
    Free Member

You’ve got a corroded frame that may or may not have been correctly reamed out and you’ve decided without doubt that it’s CRC/Token’s fault! LOL

.05mm won’t be the issue.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

have you actually measured the post with a micrometer?

The guys I know well in my bike shop measured the new post which is now stuck in the frame, and said the new one was 27.25. The one that came out was 27.2, haven’t measured the diameter of the inside of the frame to be sure but it is a right pain anyway! I just hate bikes sometimes 🙁 .

Just did :wink:.. and posted a poor review.

Have they actually reamed the frame back to 27.2, or just tried to clean it out the oxidation?

Cleaned it out I think.

clubber
    Free Member

And FWIW, a “27.2” seat tube isn’t typically reamed to 27.2 anyway, IIRC it’s usually 27.4

clubber
    Free Member

Cleaned it out I think.

So they haven’t done the job properly because I pretty much guarantee that the Token post is fine.

warton
    Free Member

As others have said 0.5 of a mm on the post will make no difference. Your old, rusty, corroded frame is the issue.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As a re read… How did you get the massively oversized post in 2″ before it got stuck? Sounds like there is something sticking it there.

Are you sure it’s not the LBS teaching you a lesson for buying online and bringing them all your problems?

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’d be measuring things myself before anything else.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It went in 2 inches because that’s the length of the finger that cleaned it out….. If you’ve had a stuck post removed, I’d say it needs more than a clean. 0.05mm will not make the slightest difference.

stumpy01

warton – Member
    As others have said 0.5 of a mm on the post will make no difference. Your old, rusty, corroded frame is the issue.

0.05mm not 0.5mm, but yes it should make sweet FA difference. Manufacturing tolerances on it would probably be a fair bit larger than +/-50 microns.

This 0.05mm being fretted over is about the minimum diameter you will find for a human hair……perhaps the bike shop got one wedged between the seatpost & the tube while trying to install it…?

jambon
    Free Member

The ones from carbon cycles.cc are really nice, cheap and THE CORRECT SIZE if you’re interested.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just did :wink:.

Did you speak to them or just go on to the website and leave a review? What did they say?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve got 27.2mm posts into a 27mm frame seat tube before and whilst it required a bit of force it was doable and repeatable.

Really.

clubber
    Free Member

Actually, I have two 27.0 frames that both take a 27.2 seat post. Probably a comination of slightly too big seat tube with slightly undersized seat post.

The point though is that seat post/tube measurements are far from precise and again .05mm will not be the cause of the problem.

OP’s gone very quiet though, I notice…

convert

Just did :wink:.. and posted a poor review.

So will you retract the negative review if it turns out you/the lbs were wrong?

My money is on your frame being still cacked up or slightly misshapen whilst forcing the old post out.

bigyinn
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

It went in 2 inches because that’s the length of the finger that cleaned it out….
    BINGO!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.amazonsupply.com/mitutoyo-536-221-vernier-accuracy-resolution/dp/B003UATQZW

Mitutoyo 536-221 Vernier Caliper, Offset Jaw, 0-150mm Range, +/-0.05mm Accuracy, 0.05mm Resolution

Whatever the answer on these is +/- 0.05mm.

For it to be exactly 27.25mm you have to let the cat out of the box I think.

dannybgoode

@DBW – Yep, it was a squeeze but did fit. .2mm is not much to write home about and as others have mentioned manufacturing tolerances on both the seat tube and post could make things somewhat easier or harder depending on which way they’re out.

Cheers

Danny B

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Try the post in another frame that has a 27.2 seat tube and then if it still doesn’t fit come on here and flame CRC and Token , oh wait a minute !

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘SEATPOST RANT!!! Don't buy Token posts!!!’ is closed to new replies.