Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • seatpost minimum insertion, advice pls?
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

i currently run a thompson 330mm seatpost which has a minimum insertion mark at 60mm up from the bottom.

I run it about 90mm up from the bottom, (so 240mm showing)

the bottom of the post is well below the top tube weld.

looking at (and can get for a good price) a titanium post but it is only 300mm, i reckon this would be just about ok, but would put the bottom 60mm of the tube in the frame with the bottom of the post level with the underneath of the top tube weld.

question is will this be ok?

only do light xc

gusamc
    Free Member

Having researched (due to **** on ebay selling a 295ish custom cut post as 310) – so right on the cusp

4" came up a lot
    as did – below welds of top tube.
    Thomson seem to recomend 65-75mm min depending on post layback etc

I only do light XC – but on the STW Swinley ride, (old codgers group) I hit hard enough to raise seat nose about 2"…..

I’m probably going to get another post on the grounds that I won’t get an Orange 5 frame for £35

Cheers

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m not sure I can comment on if it will be ok, but if I was going to be worrying about it, I wouldn’t bother. It’s not like you cannot get titanium seatposts longer than 300mm, I’d rather pay more for a seatpost and have worry free riding.

nickc

Why change? What are you hoping the ti post will do, that the Thomson doesn’t do now?

househusband

Why change? What are you hoping the ti post will do, that the Thomson doesn’t do now?

Having had Thomson and Ti posts there is a considerable difference in stiffness, obviously most noticeable on a hardtail. It really softens the ride and helps remove trail ‘buzz’; helped my back no end.

timdrayton
    Free Member

cheers all

it went for more than i had to pay anyway…

i would’ve worried about it so best to wait for 1 thats ideal to come along (27.2 inline ie no layback at all!!! in case anyones got one? ideally a van nicholas…)

the frames a hardtail ti, as are my saddle rails, and its now my only bike so i want it to be as comfy yet quick as possible, the frame is amzingly different to an alu frame, so i assume a seatpost will be too

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘seatpost minimum insertion, advice pls?’ is closed to new replies.