Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Seat post for steel hardtail, Thomson or carbon? Or….
  • tomhoward

Well, which is betterer? 27.2 dia btw

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

Im happy with my Thompson, Have one in a Surly 1X1, a Soul and my SS road bike. All steel and all 27.2

Jon

RustySpanner

Have tried a Easton EA30, a RaceFace Deus, an Easton EA70 and a Thomson.

The Thomson is much, much stiffer than the others.

Partner has a frame the same as mine but in alloy. Mine is steel.
    The seatpost makes more of a noticable difference to the ride than the frame material (Rock Lobster 853 & Tig Team SL, in case you’re interested).

tomhoward

This will be for an inbred, with a steel railed bel air sat atop it, if it makes a difference.

RustySpanner

Dunno, never tried carbon, all the above I’ve tried are alloy.

Just saying that the Thomsons are stiff.
    Really, really stiff. 🙂
    And that there are massive differences in stiffness of posts made of the same material.

Sorry I can’t be of more help – I’m sure someone else with a bit more direct experience of the two materials will be along shortly.

tomhoward

I’ve had both carbon and Thomson in the past, though always on 160mm fs bikes, so any nuances from the posts were kind of tuned out. Won’t have that on this frame that’s for sure! Not sure I want ultimate stiffness, so might give carbon a go first.

sic_nick

I have a titanium one in my old steel hardtail, love it, does seem to ‘flex’ and smooth out the trails more than I have noticed with aluminium ones.

tomhoward

Sic nick, you may have just made my decision! Use sumo ti on wiggle for £100, any reason I shouldn’t? Other than that its £100 for a tube….

TiRed

Carbon. I rode my SS with an Easton EC70 and it flexed appreciably fore and aft, if that’s your thing. Much more comfortable than alloy. That post is now on a road bike, and I’ll be sourcing another for my current bike.

chiefgrooveguru

Gravity Dropper.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I would never use a carbon seat post after I saw one shatter at a race at Lee Quarry ,looked like it could have done some serious mischief to the old dangle-hamptons

takisawa2

I tried a Gravity Dropper on my SIR.9 & found it made the ride quite harsh compared to the Thomson I usually use. Have tried a Sumo carbon aslo, but was too flexy on the Niner, but many years ago I had one on a really harsh Pace 303 hardtail & it made it just about bearable.
    Saddle is a Ti railed Spoon, which (to me) is noticably comfier than the steel railed version.

grtdkad

Carbon.

wwaswas

Ti – I used a van nic one on my Inbred and it was really good at adding a bit of spring on loner rides – better than carbon.

[spam]

If you want a layback Van Nic 27.2 Ti post I have one available. email in profile.

[/spam]

bentudder

27.2 USE Sumo Carbon on my steel Hummingbird. 31.6 Thomson on my alloy 29er Scandal. The Sumo’s more comfy, and hasn’t given up the ghost yet. I pull it every now and then to check for damage. I weigh 75kg and haven’t noticed any appreciable flex, but it does seem to damp vibration quite well. The Scandal is comfy too – although I’ve not ridden it for similar distances.

Bear in mind the whole enchilada, too – tyres and wheels will also affect comfort. A Thomson with nice big tyres might well be more comfy than a carbon post with skinny-ass XC race tyres.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thomson if you want stiff.

I prefer ti.

Kuco

I used a Thomson on an Inbred and 456 without issues currently got one on the Ti hardtail.

marsdenman
    Free Member

my 90kg of lard has spent the last few years blobbing around on the Bontrager Race carbon post that came on my (now previous) frame.
    It has not died, yet….
    More comfortable a ride than any other material? My only comparison the the bike before that, trek alu hard tail, with scaffold post alu seat tube combination now, that was truly brutal combination.!

grtdkad

Nowt wrong with a Thomson post at all

I have an Easton EC70 on my Whyte 19

And have just bought a Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 post for my new build. £70 = bargain 😕
    (New off one of those ebayers)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Thomson on all 3 of mine..

Frankers
    Free Member

Carbon IBeam on my Solaris seems to be quite comfortable

IBeam Bel Air seems to flex a little more than conventional railed version

nickc

I agree with Frankers, I use the I beam and the saddles do flex more, with regards to seatposts is that I really haven’t ever noticed a difference between carbon or Ti or Alu posts

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Seat post for steel hardtail, Thomson or carbon? Or….’ is closed to new replies.