Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • seat post creaping
  • ben10
    Free Member

Hi all im having problems with my seat post creeping down a bit on long rides im using hope qr seat glamp it a new post but its a old frame is there any way to prevent this thanks

wwaswas

use some carbon assembly paste on the post instead of grease.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I use Finish Line Fiber Grip Carbon paste works fine

iolo
    Free Member

Careful you don’t overtighten the hope seat clamp as the bolt will snap.
    This happened to me three quarters of the way round the Dyfi Enduro one year. Hope clamps are made of cheese.

z1ppy

As above carbon assembly paste, don’t be put off by the name, as it works with alloy as well as carbon posts

Speshpaul

Clean it, clean and lube the clamp. Use some gt85 and scotchbrite to clean (not rub down) the inside of the seat tube.
    You want two clean smooth surfaces to grip each other.

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

I had a devil of a job on a replacement Genesis i0 frame. Never had the issue before in 15yrs of MTBing, tried various seat posts (they all vary slighly around the manufacturing tolerance), I tried heavy duty downhill seat clamps, I was going to try an oversize seatpost (27.3 instead of 27.2), in the end a shim made from a coke can wrapped around the seat post solved the problem and never had an issue since. Mind you, I probably won’t be able to get it out again 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

^ I am going to contradict the above advice and say:

Two clean smooth surfaces will be more likely to corrode. You don’t say what materials your frame and post are but tbh most combinations are likely to have some sort of galvanic corrosion.

My advice would be to clean the inside of the seat tube and the seat post with a suitable de-greaser – eg IPA, vodka, suitable bike wash etc.

Then either use a light smear of something like an inert anti-seize (not copper slip) or a very, very thin and light smear of assembly paste as mentioned above. Too much and you will get scratching the post but make sure you cover the whole inserted bit. I would start with a lentil sized blob and see how far you can spread it round.

zippykona

People on here recommended that I use carbon paste on my slippy post.
    They were right.

plus-one

Clean and grease seat clamp first.. Hope qr stuff once bit gritty/dirty can feel tight on clamping but it’s not …

Quick clean and regrease I reckon 🙂

andybloomer
    Free Member

Cut a broom handle to the required length for the bottom of the post to butt up against while the bottom of the broom handle sits on the BB shell. Simple, light, low tech and effective

ben10
    Free Member

Thanks all ill pick up some carbon paste I and give it a go.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘seat post creaping’ is closed to new replies.