Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Seat Leon FR CR 170 – real-world experiences?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Test drove a 10-plate Leon today and really liked it.

Anyone here got one?

I’m looking to change from an 04 model but it’s a very different car in many ways.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Sunday bump.

deepreddave
    Free Member

*watches with interest as it’s one of the 3 models I’m currently looking at and STW wisdom is all powerful*

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Nothing so far, deepreddave…

Lovely car to drive and its predecessor has been a joy to own which is why I want more of the same. However, it is an entirely different motor – CR engine rather than PD, different body, chassis, internals etc.

chojin
    Free Member

If you like it and it fits your needs, buy it 🙂

Lovely looking cars (especially with the BTCC body kit).

craigxxl
    Free Member

Massive A pillars create some dangerous blind spots otherwise a very nice car.

hora
    Free Member

Not sure this helps Bro in law has a 2.0TFSI 55plate Leon and it has a thirst for oil (1lt per 600miles). Apparently its normally for that engine.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

I’m aware of the A-pillar issue – same as the 04 model so I’m used to it.

Also heard of the oil thirst but I’m not sure if that applies to the CR TDI engine. Not a big deal if it does.

hora
    Free Member

Ah. TDIs totally different of course. I had a Altea TDI. Lovely. Just enough space. The Leon feels abit like a reverse-tardis.

Similar A pillars on the Altea and I had no problems (drove from Manchester to South Germany etc in it).

mbr30
    Free Member

I’ve got a 170 FR+ and I love it. It’s a very firm ride but that’s due to the 18inch alloys and low profile tyres. I’ve had it a year, it’s been economical and oil hasn’t been an issue. I don’t exactly drive conservatively but still get 40-45mph.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

45mph!

Lordy – that’s quick! 😉

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I’ve got the old shape Cupra, which I love. However, there is very little feedback felt in the steering wheel. Quite numb.
    How does the new shape compare?

oxnop
    Free Member

I think it depends what you want to get out of the vehicle. the fact you are looking at the FR spec means you want somthing thats sporty……..

I’ve had this engine in a golf GT.

As you will have experienced it has bags of torque and when driven sensibly can return good MPG

My real world experience saw me get 36mpg during the year I had it, I’d come from a Mk5 GTi to this and it felt fine to drive when I first got it. All that torque is addictive. However, within a couple of months I was bored. It was great in a straight line and on the motorway but if you wanted to make progress on nice ‘driving’ roads the low end torque and heavy engine didn’t make it feel very dynamic or sporty.

I sold it to go back to a turbo’d petrol

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

oxnop – I’ve driven an Mk1 Leon TDI Cupra so I’m looking for something along the same lines. Basically, decent handling on windy roads and stress-free overtaking. Not too fussed about raw speed or “sporty” driving so the car fits the bill perfectly.

FeeFoo – feels nicer to drive than the old shape Leon. As for steering wheel feedback – would need more of a run to get a feel for it.

Basically just looking for any known issues, though I’m very close to pulling the trigger on it.

majorspaniel

I have the same car, iv owned it for 15months now. It’s great, good on fuel and hasn’t drank any oil. It averaged 53.5mpg from north wales to fort bill 2 weeks ago for the DH World Cup and does 48mpg on the way to work with 5 people in it at 75-80mph, all in all a good car.

majorspaniel

Oh also the PD engines suffer badly with DPF issues, allegedly the CR engines are a lot better, I can vouch for this having done 16,000 miles in the 15 months I have the car and I’ve never once had the regen light come on.

Gary_C

We have a Leon FR 2.0 TDI at work which has just had to have a new cylinder head on it.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

We have a Leon FR 2.0 TDI at work which has just had to have a new cylinder head on it.

Oh? Tell me more…

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I have a Leon Ecomotive for work. I’d buy one, its a good little car.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Suggest you check out the forums on Seatcupra.net – loads of useful information.

I’ve got a soft spot for the Leon; I had a couple of Mk1s and a Mk2 (TFSI not TDI)

I think they are great cars and the 170bhp engine is very powerful albeit a bit gruff. Engine is exactly the same as golfs / octavias / passats / A3s /A4s.

The only downside is that the finish is not quite as good as the Golf or A3 but there isn’t a lot in it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Seat Leon FR CR 170 – real-world experiences?’ is closed to new replies.