Seat Leon Estate (ST) – real world experience

Home Forum Chat Forum Seat Leon Estate (ST) – real world experience

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Seat Leon Estate (ST) – real world experience
  • Pieface

For one reason or another we’re probably getting a Seat Leon Estate. According to the figures the boot is a little bit smaller than an Octavia / Golf.

In reality is the boot a decent size? Needs to be able to cart about a child and a dog for camping duties, but be a nice size to rive around on a day to day basis.

Nico

I seem to remember they have a clever one lever to collapse the seats thingy. I’m sure it would be big enough.

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

Considering one too. Probably petrol and the FR level

Had an older FR Leon though and the ride was very harsh. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Pieface

Same here, looking at the 1.4 FR, seem to be the most readily available petrol golf / octavia etc. in my neck of the woods and best looking IMO

Premier Icon sparkyrhino
    Subscriber

Decent size boot,nowhere near size of octavia,thats a bigger VAG platform.can easily get Mrs Rhinos road bike in both wheels on,nice flat load area,can easily get my Mtb in with front wheel out.Our medium sized dog has loads of room with rear seats up.
    Have the 184hp dirty derv fr, handles really well has golf Gti/Gtd suspension,and is more than quick enough for me.

Premier Icon peterno51
    Subscriber

Wouldn’t no pudding be better rather then making the kid sit in the boot?

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

octavia,thats a bigger VAG platform

It’s not. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_MQB_platform

Leon ST length is 4.55m
    Skoda Octavia length is 4.68m

It’s true the boot on the Octavia is bigger though

Premier Icon sparkyrhino
    Subscriber

I’ll get my coat 😉

Had an older FR Leon though and the ride was very harsh. Anyone know if this is still the case?

I have the new model FR and if you stick to the standard 17″ alloys you’ll be fine – the ride is sporty yet comfortable.

I test drove one with the optional 18″ alloys and I found that harsh and noisy in comparison.

Premier Icon glenh
    Subscriber

I have a FR ST. The ride is fine. It’s not soft, but I wouldn’t say harsh – pretty similar to a non-sporting spec Honda civic we had previously (non-sport golf definitely more comfy, but also not as fun).

I also wouldn’t say there was much in it between the Leon and golf in terms of boot size – I use it as a family wagon (2 kids) for holidays with bikes and loads of stuff and it’s fine. That said, the Octavia estate boot is noticeably larger.

Premier Icon Steelsreal
    Subscriber

Had a FR with 17s as well. Very nice car had the 150 diesel which was nippy enough and okay on fuel.

Not the most exciting car and the fr seats in my 2016 one seemed to mark easily and looked stained from early on.

Boot is okay, split floor is better on the low setting, my bike would not stand up in it and had to go on its side. Tended to use a tow bar rack. Tow bar was super expensive from the dealer but was removable although they clearly did not have a straight edge to cut the bumper to!

Got some roof bars i would sell if you get one

Premier Icon glenh
    Subscriber

Ps mine is on the standard 17″ wheels, but I test drove one with 18s and there wasn’t much difference in ride.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

A mate got a year or two back, when we got our Octavia estate.

Leon drives slightly better, looks slightly better, Octavia has more space.

Ps mine is on the standard 17″ wheels, but I test drove one with 18s and there wasn’t much difference in ride.

Odd, I found the 18s quite harsh – but that might be down to tyre brand and poor road surface.

Meant to add, mine is the 1.8TSI with DSG and I love it. The 1.4TSI engines look good as well.

willt

I have an FR 2.0 diesel and can’t fault it. Always had VWs before (golf and Passat estates) it’s smaller, but I have been camping to France in it with a roof box though as it was a family of 4 with loads of stuff. Drives well is fast has good gadgets – would get another all day I have been really surprised how good and cheap it is on a lease in comparison to others.

funkybaj

I’d been looking for one of these over the last week, I just couldn’t get on with the looks of the ST though in the end.

Plumped for an FR 5dr in the end which I pick up Wednesday. DSG with the 1.4 petrol and its clever cylinder deactivation tech. Some keen prices about, £8k off list at 12 months old for example. May hint at further depreciation mind… but still looking forward to picking it up.

bear-uk

I love mine. 2.0 150bhp Diesel FR.
    But having just sold my van it has to go as its to low on Farm tracks.

nickfrog

The difference is boot practicality + size between a Leon ST and Octavia Estate is significant, particularly for bike transport.

paulneenan76

I’d go for the Octy every time if you want the same car, essentially, but with more space – having just had a VRS for the last 4yrs, I think they are great. Leon looks better but they are VW’s sporty youth brand.

If you want all the space you’d ever need in a more plush package, push your budget to get in a Superb Estate – it’s superb.

wait4me

I test drove both back to back a few months back. Admittedly not the sporty versions. Plumped for the Leon 1.6tdi as even in this low power model it put a smile on my face. 60-70 to the gallon and no road tax was main motivation for not holding on for an FR model.

And as far as space is concerned, with all seats including the front passenger seat folding flat, plus lots of cubby holes, it’s a far more useful space than the Passat it replaced. Get all my windsurfing kit in with ease.

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

but they are VW’s sporty youth brand

Maybe I am a sporty youth*? 🙂

*relatively

Nico

it has to go as its to low on Farm tracks

As the owner of a mk 1 Octy Vrs I’m always a bit sensitive to this issue. I managed to hole the sump running over a dead fox once (on the A31, never mind a farm track)! Farm tracks and even west country lanes can be a nightmare. I think the Mk2 was much better in this respect, as are most other cars.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

(SEAT) – they are VW’s sporty youth brand

Wahooo, and here was me thinking mrs_oab and I were middle aged… 8) 8) 8)

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

Bike fit in the rear of the ST would be good to get an idea of. I’ve got a large 150mm 650b full sus trail bike. Will that go in upright (across or longways) with the front wheel off and no need to drop the rear seats?

globalti

We hired one in France last summer and were as impressed as hell by it; it was the 1.4 petrol I think, with all the toys. The headlights were amazing. I enjoyed driving it and it was OK for a compact family estate.

I’ve got an ST for work.

Dmorts – no chance.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

thats a bigger VAG

Snigger[/I]

Wouldn’t no pudding be better rather then making the kid sit in the boot?

Snigger[/I]

Honestly, forget about all this Litres crap. Before I bought my 120d – the smallest boot in class apparently – I merely took my bike with me. It fit, so I bought it. Why not do the same?

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

Dmorts – no chance.

Yeah, I pretty much knew that but I’m an optimist… 🙂

Need to drop the seats then. Just found this, although it’s an Octavia

bear-uk

Never had a bike in the back of mine but must try soon. I sure it will fit with the front wheel removed stood up.
    Regarding the handling, there are two versions of the ST. The 180 bhp model has independent rear suspension. All the others have beam axle. My 150 FR is the later, but it seems to handle well enough for an old fart like me.
    The tyres are 45 profile which help massively in making it a comfortable ride.
    My old Leon 170 had 40 profiles on and it was like a Go cart and real fun to drive with its buckets seats as well.

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

What extras are worth getting/looking out for?

Is the SatNav any good?

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

Think my next car might be an ST too but my golf can comfortably hold a bike if I take the front wheel off.

bear-uk

Had a play this morning. The back seats do not lay totally flat

And my old Rocky mountain stood up with Seatpost and Front wheel removed.

And if you like it make me an offer 😉

Premier Icon dirkpitt74
    Subscriber

Test drove one of these late last year over 4 days – 1.4 FR 150 ST.
    Fantastic drive, pretty quick, handled well and was fun.

Boot wasn’t big enough for us though – gutted. Needed to be about 4″ longer.

Premier Icon rockthreegozy
    Subscriber

Had mine for about 15 months. I like it, suspension (150/2l so rear beam) does seem a bit harsh/uncontrolled on potholes etc front and rear. Boot is a decent size (nowhere near the Accord Estate I had a few years ago!) and I have a towbar (about £290 fitted) for bike rack duties.

No issues to report, pulls well reasonable MPG (although has taken a dive over winter). Seats are ok, screen off after 10secs has to be set every time I start engine which is annoying!

Test drove the 1.6 before buying and it was nippy enough, but decided on the 2.0 for when its full of bikes and bodies!

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

Test drove one of these late last year over 4 days – 1.4 FR 150 ST.
    Fantastic drive, pretty quick, handled well and was fun.

Boot wasn’t big enough for us though – gutted. Needed to be about 4″ longer.

Leon ST length is 4.55m
    Skoda Octavia length is 4.68m

Did you happen to try an Octavia too? Interested in the comparison

Premier Icon dirkpitt74
    Subscriber

No I didn’t test drive the Octavia – too expensive through the company car scheme.

mindmap3

I have an Octavia VRs and was also looking at a Leon.

The Octavia is noticeably bigger, especially the boot despite being based on the MQB chassis. Personally I thought the VRs felt a bit nicer bit nicer inside. A Golf is a step up from both.

My VRs is fine to drive. The ride is a tad jiggly on bad surfaces. It’s a front wheel drive hatch with a tractor engine from VAG so it’s never going to set your pants on fire. It is great for swallowing bikes though; two DH Bikes with front wheels off and loads of kit just get swallowed. I can easily have my little boy in his car sea in the back, get two bikes with from wheels off and his balance bike in.

It’s been a very easy car to live with and will be hard to replace when I goes back in 18 months.

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

It’s been a very easy car to live with and will be hard to replace when I goes back in 18 months.

Just get another?

toppers3933

We got a 150fr last August and I like it. Wanted an Octavia but lease company would supply one at the time. Fr is smaller than the Octavia by a mile. But it’s big enough. Can get a couple of bike in the boot no trouble.
    We have trouble with the stereo. Constantly refuses to link to phones but seat say its fine.

Nico

If buying new you can get a Seat Leon ST with the 180 engine for 18k via CarWow. A bit thirsty but that price probably reflects the fact that sales aren’t that good. You won’t get much off a Golf. I haven’t checked the Octavia. You might end up taking the hit at resale time though.

Somebody described the engines as VAG tractor engines. I’m not sure why, or what he/she (lol, it wasn’t ever going to be a she) was comparing it to, but the 1.8 seems to be very smooth by all accounts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.