Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Seat clamp for 456 summer season
  • devs
    Free Member

After doing the tour de ben nevis with a knackered seat clamp which gave up completely half way round I’m after a new one. I have 2 456s. One has been fine but the latest has always had issues. I thought I had fixed it with the Ragley clamps but it was this that failed. So, before I spend a fortune on a gravity dropper and a bolt clamp I would like to try a clamp with a brass bush that actually will hold my 106Kg up. I believe the best 2 are Hope and Salsa. Has anybody got these on the 456 as they both appear to come in 30mm which is .2mm too big. Are there any good alternatives with brass bushes that won’t fall to pieces around the dark side of Ben Nevis when your legs are already jelified and really not in need of a stand up and crank session?

Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve got a hope seatclamp on my 456. It’s a 28.6mm (i think). I realise the seat tube is 27.2mm on the 456, but it fits well enough.

Duffer
    Free Member

And make sure you get a red one – lest the trail gods may strike you down where you stand, sir!

Pridds

Chromag get lots of good reviews and it featured in the Dirt 100. They are pricey but seem to be worth the money. If I was getting a QR then this would be the one but it’s a bolt and reverb for me
    Chromag QR on CRC

devs
    Free Member

You must have read my mind. Red is the future. It’ll go with my forks. I spotted the chromag but it is also a bit pricey. My main concern though is that .2mm too big in all those brands. My ragley 29.8 is a real tight fit so I can’t see a 28.6 fitting, you sure?

andyl
    Free Member

Steel on ones are normally 29.8mm (30mm will normally do).

Salsa ones you are looking at have nice long levers and should be fine. You get good leverage. Chromag also nice. On One normally have one and The ragley ones are a generic item and sold under other brands at CRC and they have nice long levers.

Ps ragley ones have a plastic bush.

The 29.8mm will be a tight fit due to the paint thickness. I am sure most people get away with 30mm.

igm

I use a Hope 30. Works fine and will be for sale shortly when I build the carbon 456 up.

devs
    Free Member

What colour and how much?

igm

ygm

fenred
    Free Member

I run a Spank tweet (29.8) on my inbred and its been faultless for over a year now…HTH

pitduck
    Free Member

mines 30 🙂

alexpalacefan

Got a black 30.0 Chromag off my 456 if you’re interested.

Like new, £20 posted

Alex

emanuel
    Free Member

the chromag is so smooth.+1.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Seat clamp for 456 summer season’ is closed to new replies.