Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Seasucker bike racks – Seriously?
  • willard

I know that people use similar systems for mounting GoPro cameras, but a bike? On a car?

https://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/

I’m intrigued because I can’t easily fit a roof rack on my TT, but I just can’t bring myself to trust something like this to carry my bike. Anyone got one/use one? Does it work?

br
    Free Member

Never seen them used to move glass?

willard

I have, but then I’ve never seen them move glass at 70mph with my bike on top.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Singletrackmonkey of this parish has one for occassional use. I’ve tested it on my car and it was rock solid. It does need some due care when fixing, so it’s not for the ‘bash it on without thinking’ brigade though. My roof panel was flexing more than the rack.

D0NK

but glass does tend to be pretty heavy, if similar system can hold massive sheets of glass it should be fine with 30lb of mtb. Only issue I guess would be sticking them to flexy or unsuitable panels and the panel failing in some weird way.

Yes I’d probably spend the trip worrying about it, but I do the same with my mates very solid thule rack. Much prefer my bike inside the car.

deluded
    Free Member

You’d need to inspect the vacuum cups for suction fairly regularly and have a pristine car for an adherent surface (I imagine). I just see hassle in that along with a number of other drawbacks … and they’re expensive. I wouldn’t – well, that’s my initial impression.

timthetinyhorse

my mate had a roof mounted rack for his TT?? how come you cant use one?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I had the factory rack for my Mk1 TT, screwed into the mounting points in the roof; unfortunately the Mk2 didn’t have these; but, never had a problem fitting the bike in the back with both seats down and the wheels off the bike.
    TT is a remarkably practical car – for one/two people!

drovercycles
    Free Member

We’ve got one, have used it for transporting three MTBs on top of our van and on a little car too.

They’re very impressive, and they do work. They’ve been tested at serious speeds around a Nascar track in the US, I believe.

Highly recommended kit!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I considered it, seemed like a great idea if you’re short of space to store a full bike rack, sucker on the rear window and bumper and your away. As for strength, air pressure is 14.7psi, those things are about 9″ diameter, that’s 400+ kg of force to pull it off, which isn’t going to happen any time soon.

simon_g

This video:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBK8pUPWu2A[/video]

timthetinyhorse

ah didnt know the new tt didnt have the mount points……….to be fair there will be som serious strength in those suckers providing the surface is clean!! look like a great idea to me……..

portlyone

One thing testing it at those speeds with just a road bike, but what if it was a proper bike? Would you trust it? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

but I do the same with my mates very solid thule rack.

I bet your mate uses this against you now and imagine how you will feel when you have to put TWO bikes on it and his goes inside 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Have you checked the Thule website for the TT?

Says you need:

Thule WingBar 969, Thule Rapid System 754, Kit 1459

(you don’t need the wing bars specifically, but they were the ones I selected)

D0NK

wasn’t yours I was talking about actually, I have complete faith in your knocked up in a mates shed towbar mount rack.

still putting mine in the car tho 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its the heaviest so it will be 😀

willard

Just seen the Thule website and it seems like the wingbar thingy fixing kit thing attache by clipping over the edge of the roof around where the door frame would be on a normal car. I had no idea that such things could be done and that you had to have special mount points (think Saab) or roof bars for a roof rack to be securely held by.

Of course, the problem now is that I’d be worried about scratching the paint.

This roof rack business is difficult. Maybe buying a boot liner and fitting it inside would be a better idea.

andyl
    Free Member

Thule wouldnt be very popular if their racks caused damage. But you could always fit some helitape where the rack fits.

climbingkev
    Free Member

I used a sucker snowboard mount and it was flawless even at decent (illegal) speeds. A snowboard is more of a sail than a bike, so I’d be inclined to trust it….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Seasucker bike racks – Seriously?’ is closed to new replies.