Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Seasick Steve Night
  • curtisthecat
    Free Member

As above on BBC4. He is travelling through the deep south visiting various historical blues sites.

Kuco

He seems really humble.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh good call!

Kuco

I liked the bit where he says when people get rich they buy boats, i’m gonna buy me a tractor 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

kcuf!!!! I missed the one I wanted to see and now Its the Reading set, which to be honest isn’t a patch on having him play sat next to you in a tiny tent 🙁

I hope that blues tour thing is available on iPlayer soon 🙁

Kuco

How can someone with three strings on his guitar sound better than most musicians with a full set.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

He has really inspired me(and the missus) to do a driving tour of the deep south. Maybe end up in Memphis and have a look around the Stax museum(my fav label).

He really reminds me of early John Spencer Blues Explosion with getting a huge sound out of a small band(no bass in his case just down tuned guitar) I saw them years ago and I swore that somebody was playing an extra guitar off stage. LOL

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not my words, but this is from here – http://www.hobo-low.com/viewtopic.php?p=1365&sid=b76fc659a4e71fa1333faf04ac2e51e6

Steve is a FAKE.
    I knew Steve in the 90’s when he ran a recording studio in Olympia, WA. He didn’t have a southern accent, scrappy clothes, and I never saw him play slide guitar down by the rails. He was a normal family man who claimed to have been a touring member of the Beach Boys (Delta blues legends!) and co-writer of soft rock hit “Dancing In The Moonlight” (I can feel the suffering!). He claimed so many outlandish things, I’m shocked he never thought to make up this whole facade before now. He’s doing a disservice to real bluesmen everywhere with this crap. MOJO, the BBC, and UK music fans should be embarrassed for buying into this crap. Is there any proof beyond his word that he’s telling the truth about any of his Seasick persona? I dare you to prove me wrong. Not to mention that as a blues player and singer, he’s mediocre at best. Steve is a clown. SHAME.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

yeah he reminds me of the blues explosion too. Ive seen him quite a few times very good gigs makes you want to drink bourbon 8) hes in birmingham next wek might go watch him again

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Not too bothered whether he’s genuine or not – I enjoy his music and he was fun to listen to in the couple of interviews I’ve seen him do.

Kuco

From the post down.

I’m a music fan, and don’t feel embarrassed about ‘buying into this crap’ one bit. I read an interview, bought an album, and liked it enough to go to a live gig – that made me into a fan. Steve claims to be a song and dance man… sounds like an accurate description to me.

You say Steve’s ‘mediocre at best’. Sure, much of Steve’s music could easily be polished up, but that’s a big chunk of the appeal – his recordings are like the live set – raw and unpolished. I like that! Pick up an instrument, make a noise that people like, put instrument down and go have a drink! Works for me

Couldn’t agree more.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

im with you Kuco

SlowJohn
    Free Member

curtisthecat due to your post i am now going to dig out my john spencer stuff ahh the lovely sound of crackly vinyl think i got some canned heat up thre too might give that a listen

Kuco

LOL The only Canned Heat song I know is On The Road Again.

MrNutt
    Free Member

did you know he produced a few Modest Mouses albums? good old Steve Wold eh? 🙂

Reluctant
    Free Member

‘S good. What does fake mean anyhow? Some people who might not be called authentic blues, can out do the old blues guys. Check Beck on “one foot in the grave”, “Stereopatherticsoulmanure” and Beefheart and Tom Waits. Real blues? Or people who’ve taken it to pieces and reconstructed it better than originals.
    As a tour of the deep south, Jim White’s “Searchin for the wrong eyed Jesus” is very good, got some Johnny Dowd in it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Reluctant what are you doing in my record collection?!?!

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Just read that thread over there. Interesting. Brings to mind what people were saying about Tom Waits not being as authentic as he says. In fact this could go on and on. Many many performers have been slated over the years for not being “real”

Reluctant
    Free Member

It wasn’t me! I was behind the sofa snogging Renee Sparks 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh!! C. W. Stoneking, on now!!!

naokfreek
    Free Member

I went along to this on wednesday, twas excellent!!

metalheart
    Free Member

went to see him a month or two ago.

thought he was good for the first 6-7 songs until I couldn’t really differentiate between them. all sounded the same.

a one trick pony in my view.

plus the crowd were beyond sycophantic and pure arse licking. turned my stomach to be honest.

left early…

DezB
    Free Member

He really reminds me of early John Spencer Blues Explosion

Sorry, but that’s insulting. How can you compare that mediocre media creation to the great power of Jon Spencer.

Wow. Sorry I’m off to bed now.

hicksville
    Free Member

just got back from his manchester gig………liked him a lot, raw earthy and fun.sure loads better blues players>>Robert Cray, BB King, John Lee Hooker…..seen them live but what ever the story very good live, crap support Gideon jones and Shark, avoid

charliedontsurf

I missed it.
    I saw him in southampton after really being into his sound for year. The gig was rubbish, he was great, but southampton aint a good venue/vibe.
    The next night I saw Herefords answer to Seasick steve, i will call him apple fall bob, a kit mark bolan esque, but same stomp box slide roots blues but with a local acscent… awesome.

Swanage blues fest… loads of pubs, free gigs all weekend… Dorset coast… poster here… should organise some sort of riding too. [/url]

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Seasick Steve Night’ is closed to new replies.