Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • searching for routes on komoot
  • tagnut69
    Free Member

Is it possible to search for other peoples routes on komoot if so how? i have just signed up to the free version but cant seem to work it out.

spoonmeister

Afraid I don’t know the answer but have wondered the same so will watch the thread with interest!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

This is in my Youtube feed and may be of help:

jugheaddave
    Free Member

I am keen to learn more about this app, it certainly looks good.

leffeboy

I found this video helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT–AD0t9Uo

Haven’t tried it for a while, maybe need to give it a shot again

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I find it really good with the odd incorrectly classified bridleway which is actually a footpath thrown in. It is not the fault of Komoot but the underlying opensource map and I have yet to work out how to amend it to help others out.

James

leffeboy

I have yet to work out how to amend it to help others out.

It’s really not difficult but it’s much much easier if you spend a small amount of time learning one of the editors first.  The ‘iD’ editor that is built in to the openstreetmap.org site works well so you could start there.  There is a walkthrough that I would recommend going through.  To get there you:

a. log in to OpenStreetMap.org
    b. start iD (on the OpenStreetMap.org homepage click the “Edit” button or, if you have set another default editor in your user preferences, click “iD” inside the “Edit ▼” menu)
    c. click the help icon (currently in the right panel, bottom),
    d. click the “Start the Walkthrough” button which is a large icon below the list of chapters on the right.  It’s so big that it can actually be difficult to find 🙂

Run through the tutorial and then take a look at other tracks nearby to see how they have been tagged.  That will give you an idea how to ‘fix’ the route that you are on.  Unfortunately how tracks are tagged can change from country to country but it does seem to be becoming a bit more uniform so looking at local tags is the best way to start.  After that you can get some ideas from

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mountain_biking

Finally, I find the easiest way to handle it is to take a photo with my phone whenever I end up on a route that doesn’t seem correct.  The phone will geotag the location.  I think if you upload it in the editor then it appears at the correct place so you see where the track you have to edit is.  I can’t quite remember how you do that as I use Garmin Basecamp for that part but I seem to remember that it is straightforward

Steve_B

On the desktop version – go to the 3 dots by your user name – go to settings. Scroll down and enable discover. This introduces a new tab on the home page and a star on the bottom of the app.

It also means some of the activity highlights have suggested routes if you scroll down and pick the link for more details. Though it all seems a bit clunky compared to the likes of viewranger or wikiloc

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘searching for routes on komoot’ is closed to new replies.