Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Searching for a LLS 29er HT with short chainstays
  • Premier Icon TheGhost
    Subscriber

I’m looking for a 29er hardtail with these features.

Designed around a 140-150mm fork
    64-65 Degree Head angle
    74 Degree or over seat angle
    415mm (or shorter) chainstay length
    Will take 2.5 29er WT tyres on a 30mm inner width rim with good clearance
    Threaded Bottom bracket
    XL frame needs around 500mm + of reach
    Bottom bracket drop around 50-65mm

So far I’ve found these-

Reeb Ridikulous
    RSD Middlechild

Does anyone know of any other frames that might come close?

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Kingdom Vendetta, if you’re OK with Ti.

They’ll do custom Geo on the top of the line model, with a choice of dropouts, cable routing etc.

1249 euros for the base spec non custom model, to 1699 euros for everything ticked on the custom model.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

Mk1 moxie had min. 415mm chainstays, but the tyre clearance was not great. I think the mk2 has 420 ish?

edit What about that silly, silly doktorhawk from chromag

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Stanton Switch thing or new Big Wig?

Premier Icon TheGhost
    Subscriber

The Chromags seam to all have press fit BBs which is just madness.

The stantons a possibilty with custom GEO I suppose…

Bigwig is out, its too short and has a 435mm chainstay

Premier Icon TheGhost
    Subscriber

the longest Moxie might work but the ETT is only 650mm and I’m looking for around 675+mm

pigyn

You need the width in a press fit shell to make the tyre clearance work with stays that short. When you see how much they have manipulated it to clear the tyre, and how every mm of shell width is used it all makes sense. They are really nice frames, and hit exactly what you want, and there are great BBs available for all cranks. Mostly made by Hope, or Cane Creek if you want really posh.

They could have used an 87mm wide T47, but no one has really heard of them and it would narrow BB choices.

I don’t have any XL Rootdowns in stock but am running a pre-order for shipping “soon”!

2020 Chromag Rootdown Frame

And I need to update the pictures!

why so short on the chainstays?

Premier Icon TheGhost
    Subscriber

I like how short chainstays ride.

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Not baiting you op. Genuinely interested, what do you like about how a short chain stay bike rides? More flickable etc?

Premier Icon TheGhost
    Subscriber

Easier to get the front end up when jumping off stuff. Great for dodging between the trees at speed.

mboy

Easier to get the front end up when jumping off stuff. Great for dodging between the trees at speed.

A genuine misconception… Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating you go and get a bike with 450mm+ stays, but any 29er I’ve ridden with a 420mm or shorter chainstay felt horrid at speed, a really harsh ride and very little in the way of stability! Sub 430mm doesn’t seem to bring any benefits but brings noticeable compromises IMO. Going longer, I’ve found that up to around 440mm still seems OK for the high speed direction changes you describe, but once you go much longer the increased stability does seem to start to make it harder to turn.

Which pretty much mimics where most manufacturers are these days… They seem to have settled in-between 430-440mm for most of their 29er bikes these days, with perhaps only the longest/lowest/slackest of long travel enduro bikes and DH rigs typically going much longer than 440mm, and only the raciest of 29er XC bikes dipping under that figure in general.

Premier Icon TheGhost
    Subscriber

I’ve ridden short and long and I personally prefer how short feels. I’m not saying short is better or worse. They both have advantages and disadvantages which I can feel having ridden both.

I’m just looking for frame options I might not have considered yet 🙂

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

100% agree with mboy but the OP wants shorts stays dammit! Fair enough I say! . I’m enjoying this thread,,had never seen that reeb before. What about custom from that chap in Peru? ..Marino?

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

I’ve built and ridden 29er frames right down to 395mm and they all ride fine.

Nothing is right or wrong, but one reason mainstream manufacturers have “settled” at a certain length is it is simply easier to package, design, manufacture and works with a wider range of drive trains and components. So they get less hassle from customers saying “my x cranks and ring won’t fit and why must I buy y crankset?” Then throw in the faster and more stable at speed marketing spin and customers lap it up as the great new modern geo thing 🙂

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Swarf do custom frames and I think BTR do too. Might be worth dropping them a mail.

Premier Icon hatter
    Subscriber

18 bikes No.9?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.