• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Rio.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Seam tape repairs ?
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a fabric glue or repair product for sticking seam tapes back down on jackets and 3/4’s etc.

This stuff looks like it might work but I’m not sure if it’s a glue or just a coating for the top the seam itself.

Cheers

excitable1
    Free Member

Bump ?

Suggsey
    Free Member

If your seam tapes still there then yes I believe it will work but you can also buy the tape and also patch repairs for breathable fabrics…got my last lot from an outdoors shop in Leamington. Sorry can’t remember the name but they are online.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I had this issue with an Endura jacket, so I sent it back and got a new one in return. It was over 3 years old

excitable1
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Yes, the seam tape is still there, just coming away in a few places and needs sticking back down.

Yes it’s Endura too. If you wash them in the proper Nikwax they stay intact but it doesn’t get the stink out and the wife complains. So you wash them in smell fresh fairy dust flower pollen morning dew powder and no surprise the tapes start coming away.

Figured I’d just glue them again so I can ride, smell nice and still be waterproof !

wordnumb
    Free Member

Recently had this with a HH jacket that blatantly had a manufacturing fault around a shoulder panel, which I never noticed until I went for a walk in the jacket, rather than a sweaty bike ride. Tried a couple of the glues – none of which worked satisfactorily, very frustrating. Sent it to Scottish Mountain Gear, which worked out about twice the price of a glue: good as new.

excitable1
    Free Member

Update… tried the Seam Grip stuff from Go Outdoors, bag of sh1te, doesn’t work. Can’t believe there isn’t a simple glue out there to stick the tape back down (?)

Rio

I’ve used the replacement tape linked by Suggsey with some success, but in my experience the McNett Seam Grip stuff doesn’t stick well to waterproof coatings, which makes it pretty useless except maybe in an emergency. I tried to repair a 5 year old Arcteryx Goretex jacket with it when the seam tape started to come off; in the end I had to send it off to Arcteryx who repaired it FOC but not without making some adverse comments about the residual Seam Grip!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Seam tape repairs ?’ is closed to new replies.