Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sealed gear cables
  • rondo101
    Free Member

Thinking of upgrading. Are they worth it? The reviews on CRC seem to indicate so.

Which is best to go for? I see that Gore and Goodridge both produce them.

STATO
    Free Member

Dont think the goodridge is properly sealed, just has a cover where the bare cable usually is. Might help a bit but the Gore ones are top notch. The advantage of the Gore one is the inner cable and the sleeve combination, the cable is coated, reducing friction, and the continuous sleeve keeps the dirt out.

They can be a bit of a mare to fit mind, if you struggle with normal cables get someone else to do your gores :0)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I run full length outers, but thats just because that’s all my bikes can take.

You can get the PTFE coated fibrax cables for £2 each online, SP41(XTR) outer is cheep by the meter from CRC, stick a noodly end from a spares box on the dereiliur rather than the usual flat ends and they’ll last ages. Add in some middleburn oilers 4″ from the mechs for even longer life. Then if they get gritty, stick a new cable in and replace the last 4″ section, at £2/cable you could probably do it 15 times for the cost of a ‘sealed’ kit.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I quite like these Aligator iLinks
    I know they’re not the cheapest bit they last forever and are completely washable, swappable between bikes you even lengthen ’em

nice an light too

I’d certainly buy them again

[Edit] Very easy to fit too no hassle cutting and outers which can be a pita ime anyway

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Yep, run full length outers – definitly recommend them, not sure which ones though, mine came with the bike

binners

The Gore Ride-ons are well worth the money IMHO. Fit ’em and forget ’em. Even when riding in northern winter filth!

These are good too. Same thing but much cheapness

Transfill Mudlovers

PaulD
    Free Member

Just fit new stainless inners to full-length Shimano SP41 outers with sealed ferrules and the job is done.
    A 10m roll of SP41 was approx £23 from Parkers, good for 4-5 bikes.
    A pack of 4 sealed Shimano ferrules with noodles and rubber boots (that can be cut off if not needed) was £5 at CRC / Wiggle.

Done all my bikes as they were built and none have needed replacing.
    Should last for years.

PaulD

rondo101
    Free Member

The cable on my bike is routed underneath the downtube & BB shell in one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33951

I’d assumed this would mean using full outer cable was out of the question?

PaulD
    Free Member

r,

Just re-route the cable anywhere suitable to the frame.
    I clamp mine using very thin cable ties to the existing ‘guides’.
    In your case under the BB, just clamp it/them to the downtube and the right chainstay.
    If your front mech is a bottom-pull, then it may be time to accept an exposed run will be simplest.
    Front mechs get nowhere near as ‘sticky’ as the rear, until it freezes, and that is a completely different problem.

PaulD

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sealed gear cables’ is closed to new replies.