Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sealed cables – Flying snakes etch
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

What’s good? Another set of cables buggered on my commy, is that the worst cable routing possible?

Anyhow what’s worth putting on? Did consider drilling the stops out, and using full outers, but the frames still In warranty (I think)

paulosoxo
    Free Member

just read the commencal warranty, **** me, not much is covered anyhow.

warranty is void if you replace the original seatpost?!

Or raced!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m running a set of Gore ride on cables that I actually transplanted from my previous bike nearly three years ago. I’ll be replacing them with the same again.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with XTR cables plus middleburn cable oilers. Smooth as a babys bot after a year+

Q
    Free Member

Had flying snake and the inner plastic cable sheath eventually snagged and caused the shifting to be crap.

Went back to XTR with full length outers.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I like full length outers if I’m honest.

jad
    Free Member

Avoid Goodridge ‘sealed’ cables. All the Ferrules broke in two where there was a slight bend in the cable. They lasted about a month until I binned them and replaced with Gore Sealed.

Buy cheap, buy twice and all that.

jad
    Free Member

Full length cables are my preffered choice but I wasn’t prepared to drill the cable stops…

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have shimano shifter cables and my LBS had some think blue tube (from an RC car ariel I think?) which has been added where the outers would otherwise be missing, tends to keep the shit off them 🙂

rs
    Free Member

who the hell ever though it was a good idea to leave some parts of the cable exposed anyway, another vote for full outers here. Get the drill out!

MrNutt
    Free Member

wanna photo of my cable strangeness?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

MrNutt. Go on then

RS, getting more tempted by the minute

nigew
    Free Member

Flying snakes are not worth the money, as already said they soon snag on the sleeve, gonna try XTRs on the recommendation of a friend who swears by them, not at them, see what i did there? 😆

tandemwarriors

Well I’ll stick my head above the parapet and say that I’m happy with flying snakes mudlovers. Been on for 8 months of grim scottish weather and still super smooth, never touched them.
    Ran Gore before, one set lasted 7 years, yes 7 years, even transplanted from one bike to another.
    Rob

Rockplough
    Free Member

I’ve been running flying snakes on my rear mech. Coming up for 1.5 years now, riding through all sorts, and I’ve never had to touch them. Shifts as sweetly as the day I set it.

bigrich

the cheapest cable outer all the way. Comes in about 3 quid. use the money you save to buy a dremel and do the drilling stops job properly.

solamanda
    Free Member

SP41 + SP41 sealed end caps is what you need, see the parkers international website.

dickie
    Free Member

Flying snake are the best I’ve used.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The American mag did an interesting bit recently about using some heat shrink and some 3mm tubing to make a sealed system. I’ve found that not running full length outers does give a crisper shift as there’s less housing to drag and flex.

jfeb
    Free Member

Gore Ride-Ons. I’ve had one set that I’ve transplanted across two bikes. Its been going for about 2 years now. Gore Ride-Ons have a noticably lighter shift than full length outers (on my other bike)

nickc

I’ll play devils advocate here. The reason cable runs have stops on the frame is that the cables need to be held in tension, and the very best way of doing that is to secure them against the frame. Full length outers may seem like a plan, but eventually dirt will get in, and then your shifting will be worse. it’ll wear out your mechs and shifters quicker, and you’ll get through more outer making your shifts less crisp. Even an XTR complete cable kit (outers inners, and so on) is only £15.00. Change it all once a year. Jobs a good un.

If full length runs were such a good idea, bikes would come like that, no?

crankrider
    Free Member

My Alligators have lasted me through the winter so far and look pimp in gold 8)

Cost me about 16 quid too from here: http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/cablesets-45-c.asp which isnt bad coming with fancy black ptfe cables.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sealed cables – Flying snakes etch’ is closed to new replies.