Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sealant balling up quickly
  • Premier Icon luket

I’ve just taken off a tyre that I only fitted a week ago and a lot of the sealant in there has balled up into a lump already. In nearly 15 years of tubeless I have found that my sealant only solidifies into lumps occasionally; more normally it stays liquid and lasts for a year or more. I use Stans and have done for years.

So I’m wondering why this could be. Perhaps it’s a duff/old bottle of sealant or could it be something to do with using inserts? I’ve only been using inserts for a year but the last one I took off had done the same, albeit I’d left it on there for more than 6 months. It also seems to be going quite brown.

Anyone had similar?

Premier Icon Speeder

Have you used C02? Not sure if it’s temperature or chemical but reacts badly with Stans in my experience.

Premier Icon spooky_b329

After several years I switched from Stans to Orange Endurance. Lasts much better 🙂

Premier Icon continuity

I’ve found that switching some sealants causes this – if they have different bases they can react.

Premier Icon luket

Hmm, no mixing of different sealants in these wheels tyres and never used co2. My gut feel is maybe this bottle of sealant has gone off or something, although I also wonder whether this balling up might be a side effect of the stuff working properly (kind of “too well”, even?), rather than not working.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

Out of interest, what inserts are you using?

I’ve had this a few times – the sealant has looked to have split and gone brown and almost oily. In every case the insert seemed to have soaked up loads of weight of sealant but if I had to guess it soaked up one of the components of the sealant not the rest and destabilised it.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

Have you used C02? Not sure if it’s temperature or chemical but reacts badly with Stans in my experience.

Though not the OPs prob, it does. Or rather, CO2 is acidic when dissolved in water, latex requires a slightly alkaline environment to stay in solution (hence the ammonia smell of craft latex and latex based sealants, ammonia is commonly used to achieve this). So CO2 makes bogies.

Premier Icon stewfrance
    Free Member

I had exactly the same thing happen with stans race fluid it clumped/balled up super fast!

I’d say it’s possibly because the race fluid has more fibres to plug a hole because I didn’t seem to have that problem with the normal stans sealant!

I’ve never used co2 either and it clumped so I swapped to orange seal and not looked back!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.