Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SDW – worth getting a frame/ seat / bar pack?
  • blanklook

Am doing the SDW over two days (ie slowly) in a couple of weeks. Was going to just stuff everything into a rucksack but thinking that maybe at least one bag attached to the (FS) bike would be a good idea. Any particular recommendations of manufacturers to look at? It would not need to be super tough but waterproof would be sensible…
    Help appreciated

wwaswas

Planet-X do some good value frame packs of various types.

I rode the SDW in a day fully rigid and I’m sure that using frame bags helped but, equally, on an FS bike it may be less of an issue.

Don;t forget you need to be able to carry enough water to get between water stops too.

martinhutch

Some of the podsacs stuff from here would do the trick cheaply. Rucksack is OK but it feels much nicer to get weight off your shoulders and onto the bike.

https://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/accessories/bags-and-bike-packing/bikepacking

Remember to put protective tape on any point where the bag contacts frame/forks.

Bez

Planet X have the Altura Vortex saddle bags for £20-25 at the moment, as cheap as you’ll find the Chinese-branded stuff on Amazon etc. Just got one myself, haven’t used it yet, seems ok.

mccraque

I did it at the weekend in each direction and just tried to take as much stuff off my back as possible. I added a small under top tube bag (1.5L) and used two bottles…..so took about 3kg off my back in total…..still carried an EVOC 16L backpack, half full with the lighter kit….and some in the additional bladder when I wasn’t sure of the next tap stop.

I found that loading the frame rather than yourself really does help with lower back issues.

I started a thread on here a couple of weeks back and people gave some very good suggestions as to framebag options.

shermer75
    Free Member
    dovebiker

Alpkit Airloc Xtra 13L dry bag strapped to your bars makes a pretty good lightweight bar bag . The choice of strapping stuff to your bike or your body is a bit of a no-brainer IME particularly for longer rides in summer. Likewise, putting your spare tubes and tools and stuff into a seat pack.

Poopscoop

I’ll be riding it soon, over 3 days.lol Bivvy for 2 nights.

Most will be in the Evoc back pack…but a fair amount will simply be (insulation) taped to the frame/seat, whatever. It’s amazing what you can store on the bike with just tape!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SDW – worth getting a frame/ seat / bar pack?’ is closed to new replies.