Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SDW trail conditions
  • mireland
    Free Member

Yes another post on trail conditions…

I realise that it bucketed down this weekend, but what’s the overall state of the SDW at the moment?

I have a Friday free (26th) and was pondering an in-a-oner if the weather remains reasonably dry over the next fortnight.

Thoughts?

Thanks

M

Lummox

Not seen the ‘actual’ conditions but previous experience would be.

No, don’t do it. No

unless you really enjoy riding on flinty glass?

Even if it stays totally dry the shaded bits will still be grease.

Someone will be along to say the opposite but I’d rather find somewhere else.

wwaswas

Up until a downpour last night really good.

If it stays dry as it is now conditions will be great – the wind’s drying it out nicely today.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bez

Waiting for the first heavy downpour of the autumn seems like the perfect way to pick the worst time to do it 🙂

(That said, I’ve not actually been up there.)

avdave2

Noticed on the commute last week that the chalk has just begun to show hints of green in places. Never like it when it’s like that, much better when its properly wet in the winter.

mireland
    Free Member

I’m going to wait and see what falls over the next 10 days. I’ve ridden it before and know the pitfalls of trying to ride the South Downs when its wet! Outlook has some showers this week, with the following week being drier. Always got the option of bailing en route at the nearest train station.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The more open sections will dry reasonably quickly with a bit of wind, but the sheltered woody sections take quite a while to dry out. With autumn rapidly approaching, the window of opportunity is closing…..

mireland
    Free Member

Turns out it was super. A couple of puddles around. But other than that none of the slippy chalk, and no gloopy hard going mud. Winchester to Eastbourne- 12 hrs total time. Last hour and half was pitch black, but that was fun (and I was prepared for!)

wwaswas

Well done 🙂

cyclistm
    Free Member

That’s an incredible time at this time of year.

W<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>e had some pretty heavy rain this last week and even this morning..pretty amazed it held up so well to be honest.</span>

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SDW trail conditions’ is closed to new replies.