• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • SDW in a day – Dropper post?
  • littlerob

Pretty much as the title suggests. I’m aiming on doing SDW in a day, and wondering whether a dropper-post on my hard-tail would be an advantage.

To be honest I’ve been considering one for a while, but they seem quite expensive. Not sure whether to accelerate the purchase and get one sooner.

When I rode it last time (over 3 days) I don’t recall changing my saddle height, but that doesn’t mean that I wasn’t inconvenienced by my laziness IYSWIM.

What do you all think?

larrydavid
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother – it’s not technical at all.

dovebiker

When it’s perfectly feasible to ride it in summer on a CX bike?

nedrapier

I’d rather have have a lighter bike.

I’m tempted by a dropper post for some rides/areas, but SDW isn’t on that list.

richardthird

Handy for dropping down for all the gates 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Never felt the need to drop my post on the SDW. If its to save weight lose the dropper.

drofluf
    Free Member

Dropper?

Next you’ll be asking if you need gears!

muggomagic

A suspension post would be more of an advantage than a dropper, especially if it’s bone dry. There was a stretch around 40 miles in where it’s flatish and my back was getting battered on my hardtail by the hard dry tracks, where my mate on his full sus was gliding along without a care in the world.

hairylegs
    Free Member

dovebiker – Member

When it’s perfectly feasible to ride it in summer on a CX bike

bigyinn – Member

Never felt the need to drop my post on the SDW

Totally agree … I think your question has been answered!!

Not sure about the SS option though!!

hairylegs
    Free Member

my mate on his full sus was gliding along without a care in the world.

Well “overbiked” !!

andyg1966

I’m going to have a go with a plus bike in the spring, might be ideal.

bwakel
    Free Member

The trouble with a plus bike on the SDW is that it’s murder for tyre sidewalls with so many flints. I hope your tyres survive. You’re also dragging a lot of rotational weight up the numerous climbs. A lightweight XC bike with narrow but strong tubeless tyres is about as efficient as it gets on the SDW.

littlerob

Well I guess that has pretty comprehensively answered that question. I still fancy one for some of my other riding, but I won’t rush out and get one just yet.

Ta

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Well “overbiked” !!

I believe the record for the SDW double was set on a full-sus

br
    Free Member

The trouble with a plus bike on the SDW is that it’s murder for tyre sidewalls with so many flints. I hope your tyres survive. You’re also dragging a lot of rotational weight up the numerous climbs. A lightweight XC bike with narrow but strong tubeless tyres is about as efficient as it gets on the SDW. [/I]

Did it a few years ago and put a pair of UST Racing Ralphs on. Fast rolling and strong, seemed an ideal tyre.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Quite correct: http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/news/south-downs-way-record

But I think such records are more about the athlete than the bike

bwakel
    Free Member

Did it a few years ago and put a pair of UST Racing Ralphs on. Fast rolling and strong, seemed an ideal tyre.

Yes, I use tubeless Racing Ralphs on the SDW and, other than a shard of glass wrecking one on a half-SDW a couple of years ago, they’ve been great. Fast and reliable.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you have a choice of bikes I’d suggest a short travel FS. Just to take the edge off some of the bumpier flinty tracks.
    Some robust tyres may be benficial, as the flint has claimed at least one tyre of mine in the past.
    Something fast rolling with a shallow tread will be more than adequate.

littlerob

At the moment FS isn’t an option. As for tyres, my Hardtail has got Smart Sam Plus on, which are meant to be puncture resistant. I’ve been pretty happy with them.

JoB
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member

I believe the record for the SDW double was set on a full-sus

hairylegs – Member
    Quite correct: http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/news/south-downs-way-record

that’s old news, Ian Leitch broke that record last year with a time of 15hrs 35mins, on a lightweight hardtail

you won’t need a dropper-post, ride the bike you’re most used to/comfortable on, it can be a long day in the saddle
    if you only have a hardtail fit the biggest swiftest whoomphiest tyres you have, unless it’s rained in the last week when you should stay at home 😉

mccraque

I rode the SDW on a 29 HT with no dropper and would say that it was the perfect weapon.

To the comment above about the SDW wrecking plus tyres. I wouldn’t say that’s the case. I’ve put over 1000 miles on the Solaris over flinty descents up there (is my local playground) – and not punctured once, despite running a very flimsy trailblazer on the rear. Actually….there was a slight issue with a nick in the main tread of the nobby nic, but sealant sealed it within seconds. in short, way less punctures and tyre issues than with the standard 29 wheels.

hairylegs
    Free Member

that’s old news, Ian Leitch broke that record last year with a time of 15hrs 35mins, on a lightweight hardtail

Thanks for the update …”lightweight hardtail” … case closed!! 😀

muggomagic

hairylegs – Member

Well “overbiked” !![/quote]

I’d much rather have been “overbiked” at that point.

pictonroad

All the above is missing the point. Get one because they’re awesome.

I use mine on the SDW all the time but I’m a hopeless dropper addict.

DrP

Handy for dropping down for all the gates

All joking side, THIS is the key advantage.

I did it several years ago on a meta 5 with dropper.

The ability to gently lower myself down, and also easily lift a leg over a dropped seat post is NOT to be ignored 80 miles into the SDW!

There are a LOT of gates.
    A LOT.

TBH, all things being equal, I’d consider a dropper for this (I am, however, considering a rigid SS attempt at some point this year..)

DrP

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘SDW in a day – Dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.