Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • SDG I-beam saddles….. opinions, please….
  • alpin
    Free Member

looking at these online, but a colleague says they are very stiff (sdg say the saddles have a built in “flex cavity” and an “edge cavity” to improve comfort…..

any comments welcome….

cheers,

J

peterfile
    Free Member

I had an SDG Bel Air which was I-beam.

It was a bit stiffer, but I wasn’t putting in long XC miles on it so it didn’t bother me. I didn’t think it was particularly noticeable and may even have just been placebo.

However, I broke it after a couple of big crashes (admittedly, the final one was enough to break anything I could have had on the bike). Got a replacement FOC, but swapped it for a Thomson and ti rail Bel Air.

I’m running the same combo on my newest bike. Not sure why I even bothered with I-beam, Thomson + rails just works.

(that said, i’ve noticed CRC are doing a tasty deal on i-beam right now, so if cost is a the main reason then it’s a no brainer. Otherwise I would stick to Thomson and rails.)

ChrisL

Regular I-Beam saddles (my experience is with a Bel Air SL I-Beam) are pretty stiff. The Forumla FX (I have one of these too) is designed differently and is a bit more flexible. For a hardtail I would be wary of a regular I-Beam saddle but for a full sus while the stiffness is noticeable it isn’t very bad.

rkk01
    Free Member

I’ve got an I-Beam / Bel Air combo on a Pace RC-305.

First ride out I was quite shocked – I could feel every nobble on the tyres. Quite a harsh ride. Soon get used to it though

goodgrief
    Free Member

they’re much less comfy than the railed versions, the i-fly is a proper arse breaker!
    however, strength to weight ratio is very good and there’s good deals to be had

Dickyboy

Two I beam Belairs & two railed Belairs on my hardtails here – can’t really say I’ve noticed any difference 😳

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got an SDG iBeam on one of my bikes and it’s definitely firmer & less comfortable than normal saddles.

mulacs

Got one, albeit due to the cheapness factor (saddle + post FOC) and rate it, apart from the lack of ‘upgrade’ options! It does mean that you’re not able to spend money on that part of the bike, so a good thing if you ask me!
    I’ve got a Belair RL (or maybe an RT, can’t recall), but its pretty good. Would buy again…

brakes
    Free Member

I had a bike which came with one, it looked rubbish so I got rid
    didn’t notice any lack of flex, but it was on a 7″ bouncer

alpin
    Free Member

yup… i too have seen the CRC offer, hence my asking.

hardtail – tick
    long, multi-day tours – tick

part of the reason i’m looking at them is the offer, 60-something €s, and the supposed unbreakability (broken two saddles in the last three months.

chickenman

I find my I-beam really comfy on long rides. The clamp can part company with the top of the post, but they are dead cheap and light.

alpin
    Free Member

The clamp can part company with the top of the post, but they are dead cheap and light.

??? not a problem then?

epicyclo

I like I-beams and use them on most of my bikes.

I do 24 hours on an I-Fly without problem (rigid beam), but I find it uncomfortable on my road bike after 50miles.

The Formula FX is more comfortable on the road (cutout beam).

BeardedDave
    Free Member

I had an I-beam post and SDG Bel Air. I always thought it felt flexier than my Thomson and normal Bel Air that it replaced. That was until the seatpost split at the clamp! Got an inch long split in the top. Not really sure why, it split, I was riding across the car park at the start of a ride!

tazzymtb

I use an I fly, bel air and Fx, the I fly does soften up a bit after a while or your bum finally gives up and shapes to the saddle, but as a race saddle it’s fab. The bel air is nice and the FX is brilliant and as comfy as gobi’s on my other bikes, but it upsets the inner weight weenie so only goes on for loooooooooong days in the saddle

walla24
    Free Member

I-beam post/saddles are not stiff what so ever, i had a bel air railed version and found that too stiff on hardtail so swapped out for matching i-beam set.
    With the clamp towards the front of the saddle there is a noticeable flex which is ideal for hardtail xc’ing.
    I’m 15 stone and havent broken it yet!

chickenman

Ok, had the same prob as BD above on one and it was replaced under warrenty, second one twisted (in the interference fit between post and clamp)when I hung onto the saddle as bike was wedged in tree and I toboganned off down the hill. So not really a fault with the product!

br
    Free Member

I’ve used I-Beam’s for a few years with no problem, but I swapped to a carbon post in the summer when CRC were selling them at 50% – now lighter and has ‘comfort’ built in.

Seat 195g and Seatpost (400mm) 190g

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i really like them, used the ‘flex’ and bel-air ones. flex can be pricey but do flex and are more comfortable, i-fly are vey harsh and stuff but weigh as much as a bag of feathers!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘SDG I-beam saddles….. opinions, please….’ is closed to new replies.